Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3234 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2007 7:44 AM by JohnWMpls
ActiveBelmonte2 Amateur 35 posts since
May 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 30, 2007 5:33 AM

Which is easier to achieve...lifting to increase muscle mass or muscle toning?

I would expect it to be the latter...

• inoutfit Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 24, 2007

In my experience it depends on several factors...gender, muscle type, definition of "easier", level of conditioning, preferences and amount of time one can spend resistance training. Personally, I have found it easier to achieve toning but I am a 6' tall woman.

• jinja Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007

For me, it has been easier to achieve muscle toning. Being a female, over 40 I am happy to not be losing muscle mass. My brother was an avid bodybuilder and my experience from watching him through the years was that it was more difficult to increase muscle mass than to tone you muscles. He was about 5'11" and went through very regimented workouts most of his life. He was very muscular and toned, but never got to the level that you see in the muscle magazines. He had the build of the guys you see in the bowflex commercials. He also only used protein powder type supplements and no drugs. Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

• JohnWMpls Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007

This depends on a lot of variables. For people who have high metabolisms gaining even a pound of muscle mass can be a huge task. For other such as myself I can put on muscle mass but its very hard for me lean up and get toned. All you can do is tailor your approach to what you are trying to achieve. I firmly believe is this:

For muscle toning - high reps (12-24) with lower weight

For increasing mass - lower reps (2-12) with more weight

There are a million opinions out there but this one seems to be pretty universal in the fitness community.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points