Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7495 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2010 3:36 PM by macarlson RSS 1 2 Previous Next
StanleighCO Pro 69 posts since
Aug 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2010 12:18 PM

Clydesdale and Athena runners

I have heard it once said that a majority of the people running in the races shouldn't be running in these races...namely "US", but let's see the race organizers of the NY Marathon, Boston Marathon etc. complain about how their beneficiaries are complaining about the koffers running dry when it is only funded by elite runners.

Your comments?

Stanley (stanleighco1 on Yahoo Messenger)

• Maryalicia Legend 255 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    1. Sep 7, 2010 6:58 AM (in response to StanleighCO)
    Re: Clydesdale and Athena runners

John Bingham, Mr Penguin himself, recently wrote an article. I cannot remember if it was in the runner's World or the competitor, but he wrote an article 'The times are a changing'. He wrote about how a friend had commented (or lamented in my opinion) on how racing wasn't what it used to be. That running had exploded in the past few decades to encorporate slower runners  if I remember correctly . How the population of racing had changed from people running marathons in 2.5-3.5 hours were now lasting up to 6-8 hours. How many races had to implement caps because of the sign-ups, and so forth. The Penguin thought this was awesome.

My opinions. first off, running in races half or full marathons is in no way casual. If we want our society to get healthier, we need to accept the people who are going to work their butt off to finish one of these 'elite events. Some elite runners are annoyed, but for the most part, Our society is accepting of this new paradigm shift. Yes there are still elite races out there- the Boston Marathon  to name one. Unfortunately, not many athena and clydesdales Boston Qualify (BQ) (not saying none, but on average) and  I am sure this race's coffers are not drying up anytime soon. Established races that need qualifications will always have the edge on that one.

In the end, well I run for me, and am not really competitive, but am hoping to get into some compition. (So I may not be seeing the 'negative comments' that you might be until then). In the end, If they allow us to be in the race, noone should complain .

Maryalicia

Stroller Racer Extraordinaire!

I know you don't like me racing with my stroller, but I will do my best to respect you and the race!

AKA -Jim's Virtual Racing Antagonist Assiatant!

FEAR THE STROLLER! (Just saying)

Next -

Columbia Gorge Half Marathon, Hood River, OR, October 24th, 2010

ORCC Autumn Leaves 10K Run, Champoeg Park (Newberg, OR), 30 Oct 2010

Some Turkey Trot Race (Can't decide between Zoo or Sherwood)

Hot Butterred Run 12K Run, 27 Novermber 2010

Complete:

ARC in Motion 5K walk/run, Vancouver, WA (35:25 with a stroller)

Spark your Heart 5K Run, Bend, OR 4 July 2010 (31:08 with a stroller)

A Servant Festival Race 10K - Run for the Homeless, Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (60:11 with a stroller)

Skirtchaser 5K,  Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (30:01 with a stroller)

Clark County Running Club, 5K Training Run (28:00 with a stroller)

Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon, Carlton, OR, 5 September 2010 (Chip Finish 02:01:10.0)

Round UP on the Bluff 5K Run and Fun Walk, University of Portland, OR 18 September 2010 (No Chip- But timers have me at 22:50)

• Mrsilva Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 21, 2009
    2. Sep 7, 2010 5:26 PM (in response to StanleighCO)

I have a very simple response, "frak them"

Jun 28, 2010
    4. Sep 8, 2010 5:25 AM (in response to Maryalicia)

Your post was on Athenas and Clydes, do not know why you brought dogs  and strollers into this post, accept for reading my siggy. If you read my siggy, you know I try to be hyperaware of others when I race with my stroller and will just  quote myself on this one.

In the end, If they allow us to be in the race, noone should complain .

Maryalicia

I know you don't like me racing with my stroller, but I will do my best to respect you and the race!

Next -

Complete:

A Servant Festival Race 10K - Run for the Homeless, Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (60:11 with a stroller)

Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon, Carlton, OR, 5 September 2010 (Chip Finish 02:01:10.0)

Round UP on the Bluff 5K Run and Fun Walk, University of Portland, OR 18 September 2010 (No Chip- But timers have me at 22:50)

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    5. Sep 8, 2010 6:12 AM (in response to Maryalicia)

Stanleigh,    Ive run in many races where men and women both have pushed a stroller. There was never a problem, ever.  I support it 100% and thnk its fantastic way to get the little ones into the mix.

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    6. Sep 8, 2010 6:47 AM (in response to Maryalicia)

Maryalicia,

I disagree!  Nothing is worse than feeling like you're running a great race, being passed at mile 5 by a cheerful mother pushing her running stroller at a 6 minute mile pace, and being unable to keep up with mom and tot!  Not that it ever happened to me, mind you.  At least not that I'll admit to.

SV

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

Nov 19, 2009
    8. Sep 8, 2010 7:00 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

It's happened to me...      There's one guy I've run into a few times at races who runs sub-19 minute 5K's pushing a stroller,  and this is after he hangs back a while until the crowd thins out in front of him.   He's a machine, half way through the race here he comes screaming past.   That kid's gonna be a race car driver I swear!

Nov 19, 2009
    9. Sep 8, 2010 7:07 AM (in response to StanleighCO)
    Re: Strollers

StanleighCO wrote:

Ever enter a race where the entry form says "NO DOGS, NO STROLLERS" to only have it go ignored?

For training runs a stroller is fine...at a race...keep them home.

I'm just saying that I don't want to tripping over wheels

And obviously you don't know by now to never say "never"! So often heard somebody say..."I've never...." to which my response is, "you can't say NEVER anymore."

haha.  you obviously dont subscribe to never lecturing folks.   Good luck dodging them wheels, maybe you should open your eyes,  do you step on peoples ankles too when youre running?  Strollers are here to stay,  this isint the Olympics we're running. 

Jun 28, 2010
    10. Sep 8, 2010 9:31 AM (in response to StanleighCO)

I completely understand your stance on strollers. It is my my siggy says I will try to respect you and the race. I can't say I have never hit anyone (once a female ran past me in the chute and just stopped, well I ran into her- so yes, I agree that strollers do take up a larger portion of the chute.), I can say that every race I have entered to date and ran with my baby, I have always read the registration form and called/emailed the race director to verify if I did read it right.

Probably the race that I loved the best was the Skirt chaser- I started even AFTER the men, and had plenty of room (instead of waiting for it to thin out). But yes, I did pass several men and women in then end. Several were 'you go momma' and only one 'your making me look bad'. I am racing for myself though, and not them. Add to that I love taking my daughter along when I can. I understand not everyone shares this opinion. I even kept her out of my recent half marathon, even though strollers WERE allowed (and there were two strollers in the race) because I knew it was a big race and many people were coming from all over the states to attend. with a more competitive race I do not use my stroller. For my Running Club, I keep her out of those running sessions, as they have said it is not allowed. I respect the rules.

I do not understand your 'never' comment, as I have not used that word either. But I will kindly bow out of this thread now. It has gotten off topic, and I want to respect your opinion, and just agree that yes, strollers can be hazardous if the stroller pusher is not hyper vigilient. And even then we can make mistakes, which is why I mostly join 'fun' races with a stroller that are not so competitive.

Have a Great Day!

Maryalicia

Next -

Complete:

Nov 6, 2007
    12. Sep 8, 2010 9:40 AM (in response to Maryalicia)

Maryalicia,

Why stop a good thread?

In more than 25 years of running and racing, I've NEVER had a problem with a stroller (other than my ego, as noted in a previous post).  I've had problems with untrained dogs on leashes (BOO!) and runners who don't know the rules of the road. I've been clipped, cut off, elbowed, kicked, had my shoe slip loose after having had my heel stepped on, had my toes stepped on (where was that runner going? making a beeline to the sidewalk?), blocked by people who lined up far too close to the start line, blocked by people who just stopped running in the middle of the road, blocked by people who STOP at the first person handing out water, had water thrown on me by someone not paying attention and spat on (gross!), but have never had a problem with a stroller.

Get out and run!

And for you naysayers (you know who you are), get off the soapbox and try, TRY to have fun at your next race.

SV

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

Nov 6, 2007
    14. Sep 8, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to StanleighCO)

Shoot, yeah, rules of the road, most of which come from common courtesy and experience.  Here are some:

-- don't stop right at the water stops: grab the water and walk past and out of the way

-- don't stop in the middle of the road unless you are past the finish line

-- move to the outside when slowing down

-- make way on trails, when safe, to allow faster runners to pass

-- try not to step on other runners

-- don't trip other runners (look up Zola Budd or Mary Decker if you have any questions about this one)

-- don't line up at the front with the elite runners (every event has them -- elite is relative) unless you know that you are one

I totally agree about dogs at races.  Under no circumstances should an extension lease be allowed.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...