Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5277 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2010 1:43 PM by MissMaggie1441 RSS
MissMaggie1441 Amateur 9 posts since
Aug 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2010 9:44 AM

Shin pain and swollen ankle

I have been running for several months now and have been careful to not to do too much too soon. I have been having some nagging pain in my right shin for a little while but it mostly felt like a sore muscle so I have been stretching it and it hasn't really bothered me that much while running. Well last night I noticed that my right ankle was really swollen. I have no pain in my ankle. This morning my ankle was still swollen and i had to cut my run short after 2 miles because of the pain in my shin. It has been several hours since my run and I have been sitting at my desk at work so I have hardly been on my feet at all. I figured the pain should subside but instead it is getting worse. I now have a throbbing pain radiating down the front of my right leg. Does this sound like shin splints? Thanks for any help. I don't want to quit running but I also don't want to seriously injure myself.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Aug 26, 2010 10:14 AM (in response to MissMaggie1441)
    Re: Shin pain and swollen ankle

Miss Maggie,

You have classic shin splint symptoms.

Check on this site for treatment and prevention articles.

Right now, follow the RICE treatment -- Rest (yes, this means no running for a few days), Ice, Compression (I'd suggest buying some good compression sleeves or socks) and Elevation (keep your leg up if possible).  You should also consider using ibuprofen for swelling and pain, even though recent medical studies indicate that ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) can impede the body's healing processes.

The swelling is more concerning.  You may have a stress fracture.  You should probably see a doctor to see whether you have one. 

Good luck.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 26, 2010 10:43 AM (in response to MissMaggie1441)

Not to hijack a thread - well, I will hijack it anyway.  I sparined my ankle 2 weeks ago and there is still swelling on it.   I've been running but notice that the ankle flares up in pain at night.   I've been bracing it at night and it feels better in the morning - should I continue that?

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

Nov 6, 2007
    4. Aug 26, 2010 11:21 AM (in response to vcackerman)

As someone who has been injured (a lot) over the years, including some really nasty ankle sprains, I highly recommend ice after you run and hot baths on non-running days.  Get the water as hot as you can, and work on the range of motion of your ankle.

There are recent medical studies indicating that ice is best for first 24 hours, but that heat works better after that.  As I understand it, the thinking is that the heat allows the muscles to flush away the nasty stuff that accumulates around injured tissue.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

Nov 6, 2007
    5. Aug 26, 2010 11:25 AM (in response to MissMaggie1441)

If you haven't been running long distances or too many miles in a week, its a good chance that you DON'T have a stress fracture.  The swelling may just be a sign of the body's work at healing itself.

Both times that I had a stress fracture I had localized swelling on the shin bone about the size of a golf ball.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

Nov 6, 2007
    7. Aug 26, 2010 1:15 PM (in response to MissMaggie1441)

Yes.  Compression socks or sleeves will help.

I prefer sleeves over compression socks (personal preference).

I wear Zensa sleeves when running (I stole this picture from the "Your Worst Injury or Mishap" thread) -- zensa.png

I wore Sugoi compression socks while running a 10k last weekend.  I prefer running in the sleeves and wearing my usual running socks.

I have worn compression sleeves while sleeping.  I've seen recommendations for wearing compression socks following running, but I've never done that.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points