Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

988 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2010 11:47 AM by RunJustincom RSS
Gypsywmn Rookie 4 posts since
Feb 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2010 11:35 AM

Run Walk Program Vs Straight Running

Hey there, I am looking for opinions from well seasoned runners perhaps those that have tried both programs.  I have been running for a few years and completed my first marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon in 2008, am back at training for another race but 1/2 marathon this go around.

I have started off slowly in terms of doing a run walk program for my training this go around, started with a 4/1 split and have just moved up to a 5/1 this week. My goal is to do a 10/1 split by end of September so I can basically run a mile before I take my 1 min walk.

Have you found by experience that you finish stronger when doing a Run/Walk program AND is it true that you finish not that much farther behind someone who ran the race without the walk intervals.  Also do you find you have less or the same amount of injuries or discomfort when doing a run/walk program?

Thanks for all advice and recommendations!

Nicole

• RunJustincom Amateur 17 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 27, 2010 11:47 AM (in response to Gypsywmn)
    Re: Run Walk Program Vs Straight Running

Nicole,

Gallowalking is a great way to start up for runnings looking to get into shape.  However, it seems that with your experience in running the marathon and half marathons, that you should be looking for improvement. The people that you are going to pass Gallowalking in a race are those that tried to straight run without training adequetely.  If you build up into a straight running program you should not have any problem beating Gallowalkers come race day and improving your performance.

Use Gallowalking as a way to get yourself into shape with the progression plan that you have set up, it looks good!.  Then leapfrog from that into a straight running program, even if you need to back down initially.  Say, 5 miles Gallowalking every day to 3-4 miles of straight running.  This is how you are going to improve your overall fitness and race performance in the long run.

Good luck!

Training Log: www.runjustin.com/traininglog

Twitter: http://twitter.com/runjustincom

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points