Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2607 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2010 6:32 PM by coolbikermom RSS
coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2010 7:56 AM

Pace per mile - longer distances

Ok, so I'm starting to want to extend my running distance to a 10k. I just got the Garmin 405cx and did my first run with it today. I didn't do any checking during the run, just wanted to see what I did, how far I went and what my speed and heart rate were. Turns out as I go along, I just keep getting faster. I started out today with 2.92 miles with an avg pace of 11:19.

First mile was 11:53, second mile was 11:10, and third mile was 10:51. (By the way, I'm still working on my running music mix...the songs went from fairly sedate to energetic, which is pretty obvious.)

So, I obviously cannot keep going faster, nor should I. How do most people pace their longer distances, anywhere from a 10k to a half marathon?

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Aug 28, 2010 8:40 AM (in response to coolbikermom)
    Re: Pace per mile - longer distances

Those are called negative splits - and that's a very good thing.

Most people try to run the second half of the race faster than the first.

There are different types of workouts.

Some times you want to have a nice even steady pace.

Some times you want a slow warm up, a faster more intense middle, and then a slow cool down (tempo run).

Sometimes you want to run exactly like you did today.

Sounds like you are doing great.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• squeakygirl Legend 557 posts since
    Apr 6, 2010
    2. Aug 28, 2010 12:09 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

I haven't run more than 3.5 miles yet, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I have read about negative splits and they sound like a great idea, I tried them once, but I was having a bad day...alas, I shall try again (maybe tomorrow actually...I'm going to pre-run a race course). 

I think that your question may be better answered if you could tell us (or the more experienced runners...LOL) what your running goals are? Are you running for health? Are you running to race? Both? Neither?

Obviously if you're running to race you'll want to increase your speed without wearing yourself out or injuring yourself...but I think if you gave more info your question might be answered a little easier...

Couch-to-5k Graduate: July 28, 2010

Complete:

NK5K - My First 5k as a Runner: 9/11/2010: 34:57

CVS Downtown 5k: 9/19/10 31:31

Oceans Run 5k: 9/26/10 31:40

Newport Federal Pie Run:  11/25/10 (5 miles) 49:04

Downtown Jingle Bell 5k: 12/5/10 27:37 (A new PR - Woohoo!!!!)

Upcoming:

Charleston Half Marathon (My 1st): http://lowcountrymarathon.com/ 1/15/11

Shape Up RI Half Marathon: http://www.coxrhoderaces.com/ 5/1/2011

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

• squeakygirl Legend 557 posts since
    Apr 6, 2010
    4. Aug 29, 2010 4:32 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

The best advice that I feel qualified to give to you is to take it slow.  I am slowly learning that lesson.  I tend to take off like a shot in the beginning and then I wear myself out.  I read somewhere today too that said when you're working on your long runs, go slower than what you would consider race pace, so you can complete the distance.

Couch-to-5k Graduate: July 28, 2010

Complete:

NK5K - My First 5k as a Runner: 9/11/2010: 34:57

CVS Downtown 5k: 9/19/10 31:31

Oceans Run 5k: 9/26/10 31:40

Newport Federal Pie Run:  11/25/10 (5 miles) 49:04

Downtown Jingle Bell 5k: 12/5/10 27:37 (A new PR - Woohoo!!!!)

Upcoming:

Charleston Half Marathon (My 1st): http://lowcountrymarathon.com/ 1/15/11

Shape Up RI Half Marathon: http://www.coxrhoderaces.com/ 5/1/2011

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Aug 29, 2010 5:56 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

If increasing distance is your goal, that is what you should do.  With 10K as a target, start adding a mile, or a half-mile, whatever you're comfortable with, each week until you hit about 8 miles.  At that point, if you want to increase weekly mileage, add some to your other runs each week.  (Add a mile to Tuesday's run.  The next week, maintain Tuesday's new length and and to Thursday's.)   Or you could reduce the length of each of your weekly runs and add another day, then slowly add to the length of each.

Be cautious with speedwork this early in your running career.  Don't try increasing distance and speed at the same time.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Aug 30, 2010 6:14 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

It sounds like you're comfortable running around 11:20 or so for your current runs, so continue with that pace as you extend your long run.  This will be somewhat a matter of feel, as in how do you feel during and after the run.  Part of it is, that first mile will almost always be slower, and you'll pick up the pace a little as you go along.  If you find you are going faster comfortably, then use the faster pace.  You want to finish these runs feeling like you got a good workout, but you could have gone farther.  If you feel beat at the end, you're going too fast (you've just turned it into a time trial!).

Hope that helps.

Len

Len

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    8. Aug 30, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

Coolbikermom, thanks for raising the questions!  Though I'm not as fast a runner, I am about at the same point in my training, and I have found lots of the responses -- in particular, the advice to focus on EITHER distance OR speed but not both at the same time -- very very helpful good advice.

I haven't run negative splits yet as far as I am able to tell (I know, I know, I will get at least an Ironman watch, but hey, I'm a retired person now on a fixed income!! Shoes were first!) but I have noticed that my running after about that first mile, is smoother and better, and I noticed that my timing on longer distances is faster than on smaller (where my warm up and cool down are a larger PROPORTION of the overall time for the outing).

Three hot, hot, hot days in a rown are here in the DC metro area, and so I'm stuck with the TM some more.  Thank heaven for .mp3 players.  I plan on running this afternoon -- really need the stress relief 'cause it has already been a bear of a week.

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...