Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2254 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2010 1:29 PM by Beer and Cupcakes RSS
StanleighCO Pro 69 posts since
Aug 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 29, 2010 11:15 AM

Mouth Breather

With all i have read, i still have a hard time NOT being a mouth breather when running. I've been to a pulmonologist and am on a CPAP machine and nasal rinses and sprays. I have seen an ears nose and throat doctor and there is just a minor deviation in my septum.

Today when i started my 4 mile training run i tried to do it entirely through the nose but was unsuccessful.I know from what i have heard that it is more difficult to mouth breath, but when running, it is unavoidable.

Back into running and training for Nov 6 half marathon.

Staney in Colorado

Stanley (stanleighco1 on Yahoo Messenger)

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,340 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 29, 2010 11:29 AM (in response to StanleighCO)
    Re: Mouth Breather

So breathe through your mouth.  I would guess that most runners breathe through their mouths, partly if not completely.  I could never get enough air through my nose for running.  Proponents of breathing through the nose usually cite warming and filtering as advantages.  But if you can't get enough air, you can't run.  (I'm also wondering where you heard it is more difficult to breathe through your mouth.)

Len

Len

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    2. Aug 29, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to StanleighCO)

Stanleigh - what have you read that leads you to choose nasal breathing? It doesn't make sense to me to wilfully restrict the amount of air I can get into my lungs by breathing through my nose alone. I'd rather harness every advantage my body offers. I've been watching IAAF meets this weekend & I've yet to see a runner NOT breatjing with their mouth as well.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 29, 2010 12:15 PM (in response to StanleighCO)

I read that advice somewhere too and its bunk.

Take a look at the photogalleries at the bottom of this page, particularly the elite men, elite women, and finish line photos.  See how many you can find running with their mouths closed:

http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/

Some of them look like they are trying to catch flies.

Air is good and you can't get enough of it through your nose.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• huckie Pro 78 posts since
    Jul 15, 2010
    4. Aug 30, 2010 12:33 AM (in response to rbird)

I know there is a breathing technique called buteyko that says you should only breathe through your nose and from the information I can find you shouldn't exercise to the point of needing to mouth breathe. I have tried buteyko breathing when running and it just isn't gonna work for me, I know the idea is that we shouldn't need that much oxygen but when you are running I think you do, especially if you are running hills.

I do get frustrated as I nose breathe all the time except when running and when I am running I always feel like my nose is blocked and therefore restricting the airflow (I like to breathe through both my nose and mouth).

Mama to 2 little people

Horse rider and now runner

• neub Rookie 16 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Aug 30, 2010 7:36 AM (in response to StanleighCO)

There have been a lot of threads on here about proper breathing.  I still go with what I learned in middle school science.  Breathing is a function you do not have to think about, so don't.  I have found almost anytime I try to regulate my breathing I feel like I'm suffocating.  After almost 5 decades of breathing I think my body has it down very well, since I am still doing it.  The only time I try to control my breathing is after I'm finished with cardio (to get my heart rate down) or when doing activities that are not constant (like lifting weights or martial arts).  My point is let your body breathe the way it needs to breathe.  Your body knows what it needs.  If it needs sleep you will sleep, no matter what you do.  If it needs air it will get air (even if it has to make you sleep to get you to slow down).  If you need more air to your cells your heart rate will go up.  I think many people try to modify how their bodies work which in turn leads to more injuries.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    6. Aug 30, 2010 9:00 AM (in response to StanleighCO)

I think there was a thread about this a few months ago, but I'm still confused by this. Where does it say to breathe through your nose during running? I could NEVER do that, and when I trained in high school and college it was never advised. You simply can't get enough oxygen into your lungs.

Any warming/filtering of the air through your nose is inconsequential if you're not getting enough. Besides, don't you think you breathe through your mouth sometimes when you sleep?

- Jason "Proud to be a Mouth Breather" Fitz

Strength Running
  • huckie Pro 78 posts since
    Jul 15, 2010
    7. Aug 30, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to JasonFitz1)

Lol Jason this is why buteyko is a bit kooky they say to place tape over your mouth at night when learning the technique to prevent mouth breathing, personally I have never gone that far, nor would I ever!

Mama to 2 little people

Horse rider and now runner

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    8. Sep 5, 2010 1:29 PM (in response to StanleighCO)

Nonsense.  If you can breath through your nose youre not training hard enough.

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...