Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1820 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2010 11:20 PM by elev8torguy
Kegan36604 Pro 84 posts since
Sep 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 29, 2010 1:21 PM

Garmin, no sound?

I just wiped out my second Garmin 305 Forerunner.  The sound is gone.  I've concluded that for some folks sweat wicks up the speaker holes, and the moisture and salts from the body corrode the speaker.  The sound fades and basically goes mute shortly thereafter.

Has anyone else had that problem and what have you figured out a solution?  Other than switching to a new device?

• jimday1982 Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    1. Aug 29, 2010 1:50 PM (in response to Kegan36604)
    Re: Garmin, no sound?

I noticed that as well yesterday during my run. About a mile and half into it, the sound faded to the point that I could barely hear it and for the rest of the run, it kind of just came and went.

When I got home, I realized that the back of the unit (near the speaker) was completely drenched with sweat, so like you said, I assume that has something to do with it.

I wiped it off as best I could and today it sounds fine, but I hope to god this doesn't become a bigger issue - My Garmin is my lifeblood!

Anybody else have similar experiecines or additional insight?

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    2. Aug 30, 2010 5:36 AM (in response to jimday1982)

This is a very common issue with the 305.  And by no means is it limited to the 305; other Garmin watches and other brands also encounter the problem.  It's just the nature of subjecting a watch to the elements of a running environment.  If your 305 is still under warranty, I suggest taking advantage of it by trying to get a replacement. 

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• elev8torguy Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    3. Sep 10, 2010 11:20 PM (in response to ActiveWatches Dave)

would wearing one of those terry wristbands I see at modell's guard against this? I'm currently looking into buying a 305 and this would be a dealbreaker I think...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points