Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2072 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2010 3:23 AM by JasonFitz1
hoosiergirl506 Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 30, 2010 8:42 AM

Newbie runner with a plantar fascia question

I had plantar fascia surgery in early April.  I would love to start running, but I'm a little scared that I'll reinjure my foot.  Any tips for a newbie with plantar fascia issues?

Thanks!

• RedWineRunner_ Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Hey there!  I had plantar fasciatis about 4 years ago and it certainly made me slow down my running for a while.  I did a few different things though, and was able to be back up and "running" and have had no problems since.  First of all, make sure you have good running shoes.  I also bought a pair of gel inserts and used them every time I ran.  I still continue to use inserts.  I always wear flip flops or something when walking around the house - barefoot is not a good idea.  Stretching exercises are helpful too, as I am sure you know all about.  I would just start out slow and know your limitations early on.  Good luck!

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009

What was the situation/cause that led up to the surgery?  What do your docs say about running?

In the best of circumstances (i.e. someone who hasn't had surgery) getting through plantar fascia issues is black magic.  Having already gone through surgery I think it puts you in a whole 'nother league - and your doc's recommendations would make sense to follow.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Ezrida Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010

Hi

I have plantar fasciitis myself and I have a few ideas for you:

1. Prevention - I have found this web page about plantar fasciitis prevention : http://plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_prevention.html
    2. Strengthen your feet – there are special exercises for that.
    3. Find the right shoes that fit your condition. Use inserts or orthotics or go for minimal shoes.
    4. Start slowly maybe look for the c25k (couch to 5 km) training program or something.
    5. Consult your doc!

Good luck & have fun

• bkimmiller Amateur 31 posts since
    Jul 4, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    4. Sep 6, 2010 6:51 PM (in response to Ezrida)
    Re: Newbie runner with a plantar fascia question

I've been battling PF for most of the summer.  I'm wearing the same type running shoe that I wore without any problems with training for a marathon last February, but I'm convinced that my problem was caused not by running, but by wearing flip flops and other shoes without any support in them. I have long, narrow feet (9.5) with high arches, and should have known I was asking for it.  Still running, but I'm also icing and taking ibuprofen after workouts. It's odd, but it doesn't really bother me much while I am running, but I sure do feel it first thing in the morning!  I have to stretch before getting out of bed in order to walk!  Once I'm warmed up, it's fine, but those first few steps are killers!  Looking forward to cooler weather so I can get back into my Danskos at work (I teach, and spend a lot of time on my feet.). Hopefully those will help straighten out the problem. I certainly feel for you, it is a frustrating injury to have to deal with!

• JasonFitz1 Legend 575 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

It's a good thing that you haven't started running yet since your PF injury - you have extra time to build a strength foundation for your feet and legs. Take the time to do foot strengthening exercises like picking up marbles with your toes, scrunching up towels, and spend time barefoot in your home.

A good general strength routine in the gym (or home gym exercises like these with minimal equipment:http://bit.ly/9ykd6o) will serve you well and prevent future injuries. Start slow and don't expect to get back into it right away. Patience will definitely pay with PF!

Good luck,

- Fitz.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points