Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1825 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2010 11:00 AM by Surfing_Vol
Bidimus Rookie 5 posts since
Aug 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 31, 2010 8:48 AM

Pain and delays...

So here I was, all set to redo week 5 of C25k.  I've been having some trouble with leg pains with week 5 that weren't an issue before this.  It started out with me over extending last Tuesday and getting some shin splints.  I did manage to finish the week out with a 17 minute run on Saturday which was a struggle.  It was supposed to be 20 minutes.  I gave it everything I had and since then I've been having pains in my calves as well as the shin pain in the one leg.

I went to run last night and could only get a block before the pain was too much.  I decided my body was telling me too much too soon.  So I'm taking a week off.  (hopefully that will be enough)  I'm looking for some exercises to keep my leg strength and endurance up while I heal.  I have an elliptical at home and I can't swim.  That said, what does everyone recommend?  I don't want to make things worse because I want to get back out running as soon as possible.  Would the elliptical make things worse or is that an option?

Jim Davies, Newberg, OR

Other Social Networks

Accomplishments

• Started C25k (7/26/2010)
  • Week 5 Day 1 (8/23/2010)

• bornfeetfirst Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 20, 2010
    1. Aug 31, 2010 9:00 AM (in response to Bidimus)
    Re: Pain and delays...

I had the same issue awhile back - shin splints. (By the way... I started with the C25k just over a year ago and recently completed a 16 mile training run. You can do it!)

Anyway... ice your shins - 20 minutes with ice, then at least 20 minutes without. Repeat a few times over your rest days. Then do lots of stretching: calves, hamstrings, quads, everything. I force myself to spend at least 15 minutes stretching before every run and at least 15 minutes after. Everything I've read about stretching says that stretching after is important to aid muscle recovery from exercise as well as help muscles prepare for the next workout.

If you haven't had a knowledgeable professional fit you for shoes, do it. If you're wearing the wrong shoes for your gait, that can cause problems as well. And, I know it sucks, but if you're running too hard or too fast, that can contribute. Slow down a bit until you're feeling 100% again, then work on speed.

I made it through my shin splints (am now on to IT band issues!)

Best of luck!

http://bornfeetfirst.wordpress.com/

BornFeetFirst

http://bornfeetfirst.wordpress.com

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Aug 31, 2010 9:42 AM (in response to Bidimus)

I hate to disagree, but I must.

1.  Static stretching BEFORE exercise is not a good idea.  I'm not aware of any research showing ANY benefits from static stretching before exercise.  In fact, there is a fair body of research indicating that static stretching before exercise can lead to injury.  The research regarding static stretching AFTER exercise is inconclusive, but I do it because it makes me feel better.

I'm not aware of much research regarding "dynamic stretching" before running, but I like to work range of motion for legs, trunk, arms and neck before running.  If nothing else, it gets my blood flowing and the cobwebs out of my head.

2.  Ice is proper for pain and inflammation in the first 24 hours following exercise / injury.  After that, try heat.  My favorite, especially for ankle and calf pain -- hot baths.  For the calf, give yourself a deep-tissue massage where it hurts.  I understand that the heat is supposed to help the body flush away the bad stuff from the site of the injury.

3.  Try compression for the calf pain.  Both of my calves developed pain earlier this year when I was ramping up training.  I reinjured my right calf when I didn't give it enough time to heal.  I highly recommend Zensa compression sleeves, which you can find at running stores and on the internet.  I've tried three brands, and the Zensas are my "go tos."  For what it's worth, I don't like compression socks.

4.  With respect to your calf injury, DON'T stretch the calf.  The stretch could retear the damaged muscle.  Also, search on the web for "calf heart attack."  Seriously. 

5.  While taking time off from running, cross train.  I swam, kayaked and worked out on a rowing machine while recovering.  If you don't keep up your training it will be harder to restart once your calf feels better.  I wouldn't worry about leg endurance, but about overall conditioning and health.

6.  I would be cautious with the elliptical -- it could overload your calf.'

That said, we've covered 3 of the 4 elements of recovery (RICE -- Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation).  With respect to elevation, do what you can -- use your injury as an excuse to stay off your meet more than normal.

7.  TRUST YOUR BODY.  You'll know when you're ready to run again.

Good luck.  I hope to read that you're better and back running.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    5. Aug 31, 2010 11:00 AM (in response to Bidimus)

I have the stick and use it several times a week.  I really used it when my calf was hurting.

Since you have access to a pool, you can try pool running.  All you need is a swim suit and a flotation belt.  Here's an article on it: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Pool_running_is_smart_training.htm

Here's another article: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Deep-water_running__Summer_s_cross-training_alternative.htm

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points