Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2112 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2010 3:30 AM by JasonFitz1 RSS
BigMacPast50 Amateur 8 posts since
May 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2010 4:55 PM

Skinny looking sickly?

Ok so I've been running for about 4 months now. I'm up to 4 days a week running 20 to 22 miles per week. My legs and knees feel good and I've lost about 18 pounds. I'm 6'1" and 50 years young. When I started my running I weighed in at 180 pounds and now at 162. I've lost all my love handles and any shape to my arms and legs that I had before. My wife says that I look sickly. Are ther any professionals reading that can suggest exercises that  I can do to replace the fat with muscle. I enjoy running but want to look healthier. I need a few basic weight training exercises to "bulk up" my chest and arms and legs. I can pick up a weight bench and weights if needed.  Fire Away.

Thanks

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 5, 2010 5:26 PM (in response to BigMacPast50)
    Re: Skinny looking sickly?

Compound movements will give you the most progress in that they work 2 or more joints at the same time. They exercise the primary movers as well as many stabilizing smaller muscles and can be characterized as "holistic" exercises. http://www.criticalbench.com/compound-exercises.htm has a good, terse, write-up on the topic. A single set to failure will provide great benefits; 2 sets, with the second to failure will provide diminishing but more benefit; 3 sets with the last to failure will provide a good 95% of possible benefit.

But remember, one third of the US population is clinically obese, another third is clinically overweight. An endurance athlete with body fat percentages in the low teens or single digits is going to appear unhealthly thin to many people. I suggest you get a weight scale that does an impedance body fat measurement. If your body fat is 7% to 12%, you are consistent with good endurance athletes.

• quiltnrun Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 2, 2010
    2. Sep 5, 2010 7:47 PM (in response to BigMacPast50)

BigMac, has it been your goal to lose weight? Are you dieting too? I'm not a professional but I think 162 is getting thin for your height. Have you seen your doc lately? I think adding weightlifting to your schedule would be great.  How 'bout adding some healthy calories to your diet? Keep an eye on the scale. If the weight continues to drop, see your doc.

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    3. Sep 6, 2010 6:20 AM (in response to BigMacPast50)

It's not so much the exact exercises as much as it is how you are doing those exercises.  You can use almost any weight training exercise to bulk up or tone up it just depends on the weight and number of sets and repetition you do. 

Since you've stated that you want to bulk up, you should use a heavier amount of weight and do only a few sets with less repetitions (i.e. bench press: 2 sets of 5 reps with your body weight).  Be careful though, building mass like this can slow you down if you don't continue to run the way you have been.  Also, there are different body types out there and it sounds like you are a naturally thin guy, most "thin" people have a hard time putting any weight on, be it muscle or fat, so between your running and possibly weight training, you'll have to take in a lot of calories if you want to bulk up.

Good luck and I hope you get the results you want!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    4. Sep 6, 2010 6:51 AM (in response to BigMacPast50)

Big Mac,

I'm a big advocate of keeping it simple.  Push ups and pull ups can have tremendous impact on your body.  You won't wind up with "big guns" like weightlifters, but you can bulk up on your own schedule.  Plus, the most expensive gear you have to buy is a pull up bar, which is cheap.  If you're really gung ho, try the TRX Suspension trainer, at fitnessanywhere.com.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    5. Sep 6, 2010 7:15 AM (in response to BigMacPast50)

Bigmac,   according to the simple calculators (height/weight) your body mass index is 21.4, which fits squarely in 'Healthy'.

less than 18.5Underweight
    18.5 - 24.9Healthy
    25.0 - 29.9Overweight
    30.0 or moreObese

I think Dave nailed it above, its become normal to be plump, in this country particularly.  Europeans and Asians are generally all thin, healthier and live longer.   There's also lots of evidence and studies that skinny people live dramatically longer than less skinny people, Im not talking about obesity here.

My advice is to try not to worry about it.  But if you want to bulk up a little you need to do as stated above and push heavy, max weight and eat lots of protein.  Doing higher reps of lighter weight will build strength and definition but not much bulk.   Chicken breast is one of the best/cheapest forms of high protein source.

Also,  Id suggest doing youre strength workouts in a manner that will help your running as much as possible, meaning add 'core' workouts to your weight lifting regime.   You can find some good core workouts for runners at this thread. http://community.active.com/message/777729#777729

Good luck.

Jim

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    7. Sep 6, 2010 3:00 PM (in response to BigMacPast50)

I'm 5'6 and was about 170 thanks to a very healthy appetite of fine pale ales.  That was 3 years ago.

Since, I'm down to 125 and hear that same crap from my wife all the time...Jack Sprat and some other plump chick she always likes to say.

Now, I can't hold my booze like I used to, which sometimes results in taking the porcelin bus out for a spin around the block, and I hear regular jabs about looking sickly, but tuff doo doo.  I'm on a mission to be a lean mean running machine, and keeping it light is part of the process.  The wife, she'll just have to get over it.

I say, nice job!  Drop another 20!

Ed

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    8. Sep 6, 2010 3:27 PM (in response to johnnysocko)

Holy shite socko,  125lbs and 18  minute 5K's,   I think youve achieved your goal of lean mean running machine!    Now start drinking some oatmeal stouts, 3 a day, doctors orders.  It'l stick to your ribs and  Im pretty sure it grows fast twitch fibers.

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    9. Sep 7, 2010 3:30 AM (in response to BigMacPast50)

Keep in mind it's difficult for many people to put on weight when they're running. Especially if you are running a good amount of mileage - the body simple doesn't have the energy and protein reserves to build muscle. But to echo another poster, stick with compound/multi-joint movements. Some of the best are bench press, military press, squats, deadlifts, lunges, pull-ups, and push-ups. You don't need much more than that. Just make sure you're using the correct form because a few of these exercises are fairly advanced. Go with a friend or check out some examples on YouTube.

Also consider using a protein shake right after you hit the gym. It will help with recovery and building muscle (I use whey protein, except I use it after running).

Cheers,

- Fitz.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...