Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3076 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2010 9:03 PM by Basscycle RSS
KsNewRunner Amateur 22 posts since
Jun 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2010 9:51 PM

Running too fast? Week 1 - 2 for C25k

Hi!ristin
I'm a NEW runner and just restarted the C25k after dealing with painful knees the first time I tried earlier this summer.

I'm HAPPY, THRILLED to report that knee pain is gone!  I kept walking and doing some weights and so far so good now.

How fast should I be going for my 'running' portion the first week or two? I think I'm wearing myself out....I timed my 'run' minutes at 10 minute mile.  I'm walking at around 2.7-3.0 MPH; this is outdoors, not on the treadmill.

I haven't ran in 25 years, and then I was half (yes, HALF) the size I am now. I am about a size 18; back then I was like a size 5 or 7.  I've been exercising for the first time in 25 years, starting back in May, walking almost daily (3 miles or so), plus some extra cardio and weights when it is too hot outside to walk/run.

Oh, my first 5k will be a walk/run in mid October. Already registered!

Thanks so much!!

Christina

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    1. Sep 5, 2010 10:01 PM (in response to KsNewRunner)
    Re: Running too fast? Week 1 - 2 for C25k

If you've already experienced knee problems are are having weight issues AND feel you're wearing yourself out... SLOW DOWN! You might find 10 minute miles hard to sustain as the run intervals get longer. I'd recommend slowing it down now, then as your running time increases, if you feel you've got the ability to go faster & do your whole run - by all means go for it!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Sep 6, 2010 1:58 AM (in response to KsNewRunner)

If its wearing you out, you're working much too hard. Your breathing should be light enough that you could carry on a brisk conversation easily. If you couldn't, you're working too hard.

• Violina Expert 42 posts since
    May 10, 2010
    3. Sep 6, 2010 3:51 AM (in response to KsNewRunner)

Don't worry about measurig your pace at all for now.

Like Dave said, you can still hold a conversation while running, your speed is right - if you're too out of breath to talk, you're going too fast.

gazelle sig.png

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    4. Sep 6, 2010 7:02 PM (in response to KsNewRunner)

One thing that strikes me is how slowly you are walking vs. your running pace.  A 10 min/mile isn't really a fast pace - but it is a pretty good clip for a beginner.  Yet you are walking VERY slowly (20+ min/mile).  In other words you are running TWICE as fast as you walk.  That is quite a difference in pace and a little too extreme for what you are trying to accomplish.   I think you need to do two things which is to slow down your running pace and pick up your walking pace.   Your walking intervals should be done at a fairly brisk pace so that you are resting a little from the running interval but yet still keeping a momentum going.  From what you say it sounds like you are wearing yourself out running faster than you can comfortably handle and then you are walking extremely slowly to try and recover.

Maybe aim for an 11-12 min/mile for the running intervals and 15-16 min/miles for the walking intervals.  When you switch from walking to running and vice versa, it should not be an extreme or abrupt transition.  Your perceived effort - how hard the pace feels to you on a scale of 1-10 - should be maybe 5 on the walking intervals and 7 on the running intervals.  (Warm up and cool down segments being done at an easier pace, of course.)

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Sep 6, 2010 9:03 PM (in response to Violina)

Violina wrote:

Don't worry about measurig your pace at all for now.

Like Dave said, you can still hold a conversation while running, your speed is right - if you're too out of breath to talk, you're going too fast.

Yep. One thing that I'd add to this though is that, at this point in the program, it can be easy to run at a faster pace than you'd think that you can do. When you start doing those 20+ min runs, you'll slow down.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...