Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2096 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2008 9:19 AM by MotiveForcer
LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
Aug 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 18, 2007 12:27 PM

How quickly do bike tires degrade?

OK, so worrying about the rear tire on my trainer-mounted bike and seeing a good deal, I picked up a new tire to put on in the spring. Now I know that after years bike tires dry out and the sidewalls crack and stuff - but storing one in my garage for the winter - it's still gonna be good in the spring, right?

• Doug33 Rookie 128 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    1. Dec 18, 2007 12:26 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)
    Re: How quickly do bike tires degrade?

Good question.  Seems like I remember something about some old dude "aging" tires for Lance Armstrong.  The program showed how this guy had mounds of tires stored in some old shed...aging the rubber.  Now, when you're getting tires for free, that is OK.  For the rest of us pukes, well, tires are expensive.

I currently have two new sets stored in a closet in my home.  I wonder if they'll degrade less in the house or should I put them in the garage?  I am looking forward to using them in the spring.

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 18, 2007 12:36 PM (in response to Doug33)

zzzz -snort- Huh?  What?  Triathlon talk?  Oh, I thought we were only using this forum to b!tch about this forum.

Storing the tires will not make the elastomers degrade any more quickly than if the tires were mounted on your rims.  My poor mountain bike hasn't moved for at least 8 months and the tires are still fine.  In fact, the tires came with the bike, which was several years ago.

edit - Of course, I have no REAL idea what I'm talking about, but I'm sure you've figured that out by now. 

• hobey014 Rookie 887 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 18, 2007 12:51 PM (in response to mbannon)

Yes but you used "elastomer" very well.

LRR: I wouldn't worry about winter storage. The new tires will be fine come spring.

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Mar 21, 2008 9:19 AM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Over time some tires will in fact degrade or crack. Bike shops see this regularly when people bring in that Schwinn Continental they rode to work on in 1967.  That said,  the whitish powder that you see on older tires doesn't mean it is done but it is aging for some less than premium models. Buy tires and use them.  The tires stored for Lance  allowed them to be more supple.  Most elite racers use the newest and best tires available. The same you can buy. Lance's tires were tubulars.

In the meantime, a great way to trash a tire is to ride it on a trainer. I suggest using only worn tires on it and saving worn tires that you wouldn't ride on the road for fear of a flat and ride them down to the treads on the trainer. OR, buy very cheap tires for the trainer while saving the good stash for the road. Rotate your tires front to back for even wear about every 750 miles or so.  I got over 5200 miles on a racing tire once that way when I usually think that 2500 miles is a good deal.

EJ LEVY

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...