Skip navigation

6160 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2011 8:25 AM by tanzicakes RSS
Plgrove Rookie 7 posts since
Sep 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 13, 2010 5:03 PM

How soon is too soon for another half-marathon?

I have walked two half-marathons this summer, one on June 5th and another on Labor Day weekend. Because of a previous injury, I fell and reinjured myself during the first one, but I was determined to finish, bloody elbow and all. I finished the second one (on part of the same course) with no problems. Now I am wondering, could I do another one this weekend, seeing I've been in training now for months, or is two weeks not enough recovery time?

• TizzyO'Grady Amateur 33 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    1. Sep 13, 2010 7:55 PM (in response to Plgrove)
    Re: How soon is too soon for another half-marathon?

I'm so glad you posted this question.  I am always asking myself this because I really need a goal to stay focused and motivated and there is nothing quite like a Half Marathon looming on the calendar to keep me walking.  I've also done 2 within the past 4 months with another coming up in 4 weeks.  I've done a few 5Ks in there for good measure, but I am always feeling like perhaps I'm doing too much or just not enough of the right/smart things in order to stay injury free.

I have read several walking books that all recommend a recovery period of varying lengths, and I always grant myself a few days off after a Half -- although I find that is really more of a mental rest than a physical one.

The only thing that seems to fall by the wayside when I bunch my races close together is any type of cross training.  I'm terrible at doing this as it is, but throw in a packed schedule and it all goes out the window.  The more walking I do, the more important I find cross training to be for my overall health and performance -- yet I do so very little of it.

Congratulations on finishing through the pain.  I look forward to hearing what others have to say on this topic.

• Steve Bralla Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 10, 2009

I too do events to stay focused.  (4 marathons and 3 half marathons so far)  Training for the second and third marathons was hard ( I didn't really train for the first) when I got up around 14 miles. So my soultion is to stay at a level better than that, so I do half marathon or better distance every weekend that I can.  38 times so far this year.  My usual is 15 miles.  I have even done back to back 13.5 mile walks with one on Sunday and one on Monday.  I'm walking as fast as I can and trying to get faster.  I'm at ~11:40/miles, sometimes faster and sometimes a little slower.

So my answer is just listen (somewhat) to what your body is telling you and remember you can train for whatever you want to do.

Steve

• tanzicakes Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 23, 2010 12:07 AM (in response to Plgrove)

I did my first 1/2 marathon in Maine on October 3, 2010.  Two weeks later, I did another 1/2 marathon in Newport, RI.  Everything was fine, not even a blister.  I think it depends on the person.

• tanzicakes Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Oct 5, 2011 8:25 AM (in response to Plgrove)

I have done two half marathons for the last 3 weekends.  I have a double this weekend and another double next weekend.  If you train and take care of yourself during the week, it is possible to keep walking.  I too am a walker and never run but still finish halfs between 3 hrs - 3:10.  Working on getting faster now that I have the endurance down.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...