Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2528 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2010 2:00 PM by johnnysocko RSS
erunning2 Rookie 5 posts since
Sep 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 16, 2010 3:27 PM

Frustrated Injury

Hello!  I am new to running, and to this forum, so I hope I am posting this in the correct space.

I started running at the begining of the summer.  I have an inner calf pain when I run. Sometimes it is not so bad, sometimes I can barely walk.  It comes and goes.  I think, and I could be wrong, that it is my soleus muscle.  I have this pain in both legs, but it is worse on my right calf.  I have not been able to run for over a week and the pain is still there.  I am SO frustrated.

I have tried, and tried to research this, but always come up empty handed.  The pain is on the inside of my calfs, not the back.  I have no idea what I am doing wrong here.  But I would appreciate any and all help!!!

Thank you!

• Haselsmasher Legend 512 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Sep 16, 2010 3:37 PM (in response to erunning2)
    Re: Frustrated Injury

The phrase "inside the calf" could be interpreted two ways:

*  "Inside" meaning the core of the calf - as in the center - where the bones are.

"  "Inside" meaning the right side of the left calf or the left side of the right calf.

If you mean the center - yes - it could be the Soleus.

If you mean my second meaning it could be the Posterior Tibialis muscle.  If you sit in a chair and cross your legs so an ankle is on the opposite knee does it hurt right behind the shin bone?  If you move your foot in circles rotating at the ankle you can feel with your fingeres that muscle contract and relax with each rotation.  Is that where you're having pain?

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Sep 16, 2010 3:38 PM (in response to erunning2)

ER,

The moderator, Lenzlaw, answered this question for me and suggested that I google "calf heart attack."

There is a thread about soleus massage -- http://community.active.com/thread/108521/techniques-for-soleus-self-massage/0/20

If you want more help, repost on the Med Tent board.  There are some really knowledgeable and helpful runners who frequent that board.

Good luck,

SV

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    5. Sep 16, 2010 4:04 PM (in response to erunning2)

Have you done the common sense stuff?  RICE?

I suffered a calf heart attack 1st week of Aug.  I got to the icing a day or two late, but then hit it pretty intense.  Google icing-there's good and bad ways to do it.  I was icing for probably over an hour a day for over a week before cutting back.  Still needs ice somedays over a month later.

• Haselsmasher Legend 512 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    7. Sep 16, 2010 4:10 PM (in response to erunning2)

If the pain is relatively low on the leg - closer to the ankle - my guess is Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis.  Ice the area, maybe get some temporary extra arch support, and back off a little bit on the activity level.

If the pain is the length of the calf/lower leg you might try the following to massage the Posterior Tibialis muscle.  If this ends up making the muscle sore then maybe you continue doing it to loosen up the muscle and get it working better.  Sit in a chair and put one ankle on the opposite knee.  Down by the ankle wrap the fingers of both hands around the front of the shin and put one thumb right behind the shin bone - where the soft tissue starts.  Put the other thumb on top of the first.  Slowly rotate your foot at the ankle - making circles with the toes.  You'll feel the muscle contracting and relaxing with each foot rotation.  Push your thumbs firmly into the fleshy part and, while continuing to make circles with your foot, slowly run the thumbs up toward the knee while firmly pushing down.  This could make the muscle quite sort - but it will feel better in a couple of days.

I'm not saying this is the issue.  I am saying give it a try and see if it helps hone in on where the issue is.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    9. Sep 17, 2010 5:50 AM (in response to erunning2)

Be careful with icing -- it's good for the 24 hour period after injury (which could mean after running).  More than 24 hours out you should try moist heat (I'm partial to hot baths) to help aid circulation to the injured area, which flushes out the bad stuff that accumulates around injuries.  Thus, if you're running 4 days a week, you could use ice on 4 days, and moist heat on 3.

Of course if you're that injured you should probably scale back on the number of days that you're running.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    10. Sep 17, 2010 2:00 PM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Yes, so I've heard.  Unfortunately, my entire calf was engorged, think darker colored with pretty substantial swelling so probably some bad stuff going on in there.  Happened as a spasm in the pool of all things, and I was so dazed and confused by the whole thing, thought I would just be able to walk it off.  Well, after a day I could barely walk, thats when I starting hitting the ice hard.   Can't think heat would've been any good in that condition.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...