Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

872 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2010 7:04 PM by rook82 RSS
rook82 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 17, 2010 7:04 PM

Sharp Knee Pain from Overtraining - What is it?

I'm currently following an accelerated marathon training program and I'm upping my long run mileage by about 10% per week (up to 18 now). Before that I followed a 10K program for about 4 months. My training has been going well, but the extra mileage seems to be taking its toll on my body. It started with tight calves a couple weeks ago followed by shin splints on both legs. I dealt with it and that is all gone, but a couple days ago I felt some sharp pain in my left knee when doing a 1hr easy endurance jog. The pain was intense enough to make me limp a bit, but went away after 15-30 sec. I finished the jog but the pain returned 2 or 3 times. The knee felt fine in between that.

After the jog I didn't feel much pain and didn't notice any inflammation, but my knee has been feeling sore for 2 days now and I sometimes feel slight pain when using stairs or twisting the knee. The knee also feels stiff when fully bending it (but not really painful). The pain sharp pain was on the inside, just beside the kneecap. It seems to be where the MCL is located, but I'm pretty sure this is an overuse injury and ligament injuries usually occur because of some impact to the knee (there was no pop). The soreness is now generalized over the entire knee. Could this be an MCL sprain anyway, or maybe it could be sartorius tendonitis? What should I do to accelerate healing and can I still run with an elastic brace (the knee is better now but not 100% for sure)? Thanks for any advice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points