Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1858 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2010 6:31 AM by how2runfast RSS
Tarar32 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 21, 2010 10:07 AM

Best way to lower 5k time?

What do I need to do to get in the 20min range...I just broke the 30mins...any advice??? Thanks for imput...

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Sep 21, 2010 10:27 AM (in response to Tarar32)
    Re: Best way to lower 5k time?

Tarar32 wrote:

What do I need to do to get in the 20min range...I just broke the 30mins...any advice??? Thanks for imput...

Run faster.

Now that was easy, wasn't it?

As background, I'm a longtime (old) runner who used to be able to run sub 18 minute or less 5ks (PR -- 16:40).  I haven't done that in a long time.  I'm not naturally speedy, so it took a lot of work.  I didn't have coaching or books, but read Runners World and tried my own program, which involved three types of runs: running long distances (12-15 mile runs once a week), daily runs at near my race pace (which may or may not be good for you), and speed work (a mix of quarter, half and a few mile runs).  I needed the long runs for an aerobic base and to strip excess weight off my body.  While I was capable of running long distances at a good clip, I discovered that I was not gaining speed as I once had, so I started once-a-week speed sessions on the track.  The last part dropped my time from the low 20s to 18+ minute 5ks.  From there I naturally progressed to sub 17 minutes over the course of a month or so.

I'm not saying that these kinds of results should be expected.  I was in my mid-20s, gainfully employed by Uncle Sam and worked out 6 days a week, including open-ocean swimming in the summer.

However, the same principles still apply -- increase your endurance with long runs, and increase your speed with speedwork and runs that are near your race pace.

There are plenty of training plans online; try one out.

Good luck.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    2. Nov 13, 2010 6:31 AM (in response to Tarar32)
    Re: Best way to lower 5k time?

What kind of training are you doing now?

Here's a link to a post that I wrote about training to break 20 minutes in the 5K.

How to Run a 5K Under 20 Minutes

It might be too agressive for you if you just cracked 30 minutes.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points