Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

22934 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2009 10:40 AM by Billiken on the Run Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • mcharlton Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 15, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 26, 2008 9:48 PM (in response to ManintheArena)
    Re: What do you think about when swimming?

I try to think about how my body is moving through the water.  It's tough to not get distracted sometimes.  I imagine I am swimming through a tunnel, and I have to make myself really small.

• kaitikilljoyswimsxo Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 28, 2008
    16. Jul 28, 2008 8:11 AM (in response to mcharlton)

I do math problems.

Like, if I'm swimming a 200 and I've completed a 50, I do the math to find I've done 25%.

Then I just do random math problems that somehow have something to do with the original.

During a race, I do what someone else mentioned, minus the hot girl part..

1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, etc., flip turn, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, etc, flip turn, and so on.

• kirkschenck Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2007
    17. Aug 1, 2008 11:38 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

I try to visualize myself as an Ice speed skater.

125kart

• sportspsychrob Pro 10 posts since
    Jun 19, 2008
    18. Aug 5, 2008 2:41 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

I try to think about technique, pacing etc, but on longer sets (which I rarely do now, I'm a masters swimmer) I will "discover" songs I never thought I knew the words to. I remember as a teenager doing that a lot. Sometimes I used to find myself focusing in on the tiles on the bottom of the pool, too.!

--

Rob Robson

Co-founder, iStadia.com sports community | fitness & sports jobs | olympic news

• kepij Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    19. Aug 10, 2008 10:29 AM (in response to ManintheArena)

Yesterday (8/9/08), while swimming the 2.3 mile North Shore Challenge on Oahu, my mind wandered off to think about Steve Irwin and his encounter with a stingray.  Just then, a spotted ray swam right below me.  I've never seen one before!  I spent the next 20 minutes thinking about how I have to make sure not to think about Jaws or I'll see a shark....

By the way, I'm a counter too.  Counted to over 1800 strokes with my right arm on 8/26/08 Chun's to Waimea before I lost count as I sprinted to the end.

• GreyWolfSwimmer Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    20. Aug 18, 2008 12:09 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

When i'm swimming the 500 i tend to think about the last song i listened to before i started swimming for part of the race and then for the last part i look and see if i need to speed up or if i'm doing well. But if i'm swimming the 200 i count my flips and try not to focus on much else.

• I am in control Amateur 107 posts since
    Jun 7, 2008
    21. Oct 13, 2008 3:24 AM (in response to GreyWolfSwimmer)

anything but drowning. Hehe

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Oct 14, 2008 6:29 PM (in response to I am in control)

I just started swimming this past May.  At first I was very focused on breathing or the lack thereof.  Now, I think a lot about form and pacing myself through different sets.  Recently, I've added a new drill where I try to increase my speed in each round of a set (3 x 75, 4 x100...etc).  I say a short mantra to myself, like "nice and easy" and then say it a little bit faster for each round.  This has helped me learn how to do this kind of drill.  Sometimes I count laps, but cannot seem to count strokes.  Also, since I swim at the end of the day before heading home from work, I find myself decompressing from the work day.

I will run for cupcakes!!

• summergirl13 Amateur 17 posts since
    Oct 6, 2008
    23. Oct 27, 2008 5:07 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

I always get songs stuck in my head. if I look at the botom of the pool sometimes I freak out becuse my team is the sharks and I think there might be a shark at the bottom of the pool.

one time I was doing a IM and it was at a diffrent pool and I freaked out becuse the pool was all cold and dirty inside. eawww. but usualy i get songs stuck in my head. LOL

• ZionVier Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    24. Nov 21, 2008 2:43 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

I try to always think about my mechanics, trying to make sure that over time I'm not getting sloppy since it just wastes energy.  When I'm in open water I let some periodic thoughts about the waves and the water around me.  Are the waves still coming from the same direction? Are they choppy? do I need to breath more on one side to avoid the spray from the? etc.  In a pool I try to remind myself of the lap number about 3 times every 25m, at the turn, half way and right before the turn.  Also in the pool I take a moment to calculate what the timer should say at my next turn so that I can adjust my pace and stay consistent to what I planned.  There's also the occasional contemplation of "All the lanes are full, should I pause at the next turn and see if that cute woman wants to share my lane?"

• swimmergirl Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008
    25. Nov 22, 2008 2:07 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

When I swim, I think about  my swimming.  I think about my tecnique  and powering through the water.

• Martin02 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 19, 2008
    26. Dec 4, 2008 9:53 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

Usually I run music in my head. I love the 500, I love the fact it's more a mind game than anything else. So to keep myself occupied I run medium music at the begining and by counting the laps I know when to think about loud music and pick up my pace. It keeps me focused on my breathing and stroke and lets me concentrate at the same time. Sounds pretty corny but that is what I do.

• mwrdesign@msn.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    27. Dec 14, 2008 7:44 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

Be the fish.

Off the wall, the path of least resistance. Downhill all the way to the next flip turn.

Laughlin talks about the extra breath opposite side to make the turn fluid. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Rhythm, rhythm, ...

Swimming is meditation. The thoughts wash away.

When I am largely distracted by brain clatter, I lose the balance, lose the rhythm.  The struggle that inevitably ensues brings me back to being the fish.

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    28. Dec 27, 2008 5:32 AM (in response to ManintheArena)

In the pool, I count up to the 1/2 way point and then count down.  I try to focus on the numbers as I lose count when my mind drifts.  In the open water I try to focus on the race and passing the person in front of me.  When my mind drifts, I think of Sharks, Alligators, and other creatures that are not good to have around.

• GBDobbas Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    29. Dec 30, 2008 10:06 PM (in response to ManintheArena)

If I am in the pool, I wonder how can I be going so slow and when will my body warm up. And swimming for distance I hate forgetting my lap count and wondering if I can beat the person next too me. And trying to forus on my stroke and form when I am dying and everything is falling apart

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...