Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1991 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2010 6:17 AM by lenzlaw
ABG1980 Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 22, 2010 5:48 AM

Foot pain--close to marathon

Hello--I am 3 weeks out from my first marathon and just recently started having heel pain in my left foot. After having some knee pain a few weeks ago, I decided to try Superfeet inserts in my running shoes. Unfortunately I think the salesperson may have cut the left one wrong. During each of my runs with the inserts, it felt like the arch of the insert was slamming into the heel of my left foot (I didn't have a problem with the right foot). At first I thought it was just because the inserts weren't broken in. However, after a 15 mile run on Sunday (in which the slamming sensation occurred the entire run), my heel has been realllllly hurting. It was the worst Monday after my run--felt bruised and was very painful to put pressure on it. Yesterday and today it has improved but still feels bruised when I walk. There also seems to be a sort of clicking sensation inside my foot when I take a step. I've been trying to stay off my foot, and decided to take the week off running due to the foot pain and my knee problem. I'm very nervous I won't be able to run the marathon! I don't think it is plantar fasciitis--as the pain is constant all day, not just in the mornings, and the onset was so sudden after I started wearing the inserts. Any advice? Obviously I am taking out the inserts and as I said, taking the week off running. I really want to be able to run the marathon, and the bulk of my training is behind me. Please help!

• Grnfsh Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    1. Sep 23, 2010 5:17 AM (in response to ABG1980)
    Re: Foot pain--close to marathon

Sounds like some tightness in your muscles or tendons. Stretch stretch stretch  ..

• svictory Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 17, 2010
    2. Sep 23, 2010 7:14 AM (in response to ABG1980)

I'm no expert, but it sounds like bruised tissue to me. Think Chushy all day. If you can get a pair of really chushiony shoes and wear them constantly, No bare feet, It may help. I have a pair of sketchers that i wear for recovery any time i am having discomfort. i call them my "magic shoes." I can't stress enough, NO bare feet!

• deefsu Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2008
    4. Sep 24, 2010 7:19 PM (in response to ABG1980)

see your doctor and get x-rays or MRI.  This sounds exactly like what was going on with my foot before a half-marathon last year.  It was sore and slightly swollen and hurt to put pressure on the heel.  I thought it was PF or tendonitis or bad shoes.  I thought rest and icing would be enough and i really didn't want to not race because i'd been training so hard for it.  But during my race it started to really hurt.  I kept pushing through and then all of a sudden i heard a pop and then excruciating pain and I went down.  Turns out the pain i had was a stress fracture and I should have not been running.  Instead I ended up with a complete fracture of my calcaneus.  I was in a cast for a few weeks, then on crutches & a boot.  I went 8weeks with a non-weight bearing boot.  It was even more time with a walking boot and physical therapy.  If i had gotten off my foot when it was just a stress fracture the recovery time would've been much much shorter.

I'm not saying this to scare you, or because this is what you have, but i just wanted to let you know what happened with me.  I hope its nothing serious, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Sep 25, 2010 6:17 AM (in response to ABG1980)

I had similar pain a couple years ago.  I went to a podiatrist who diagnosed PF and gave me a cortisone shot.  I knew it wasn't PF because I'd had that before and this was different.  The cortisone shot lasted 2 or 3 days, then I was back to square 1.  I thought about calcaneous stress fracture but it didn't seem likely and x-rays a few months after it started didn't show anything.

I ended up fixing it by transitioning away from heel-striking.  That took 6 or 8 months.  Even now, if I get tired and start heel-striking a lot it starts to hurt again, which is a good reminder not to do that.

Len

BTW, Personally, I would ditch the inserts.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points