Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2814 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2010 10:12 AM by Maggie:)
mfaulkner89 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 22, 2010 4:40 PM

Severe Slump.. Advice?

Hi,

I have been running for at least 3 or 4 years now and I'm working toward a marathon this fall. I finally reached the half marathon mark and then from there, I worked up to a 20 mile race. I didn't stop running - I mean, I took two or three days off in order for my muscles to recooperate, but then I started my training again. All of a sudden, I can't even finish three or four miles without feeling terrible and having to walk. It is extremely discouraging and very worrying to me. Am I hitting a slump? What should I do to get back on my game? I'm going to modify a few dietary things and see if that helps me to step it up, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

Michelle

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    1. Sep 22, 2010 4:50 PM (in response to mfaulkner89)
    Re: Severe Slump.. Advice?

Well kids are back in school and daycare and, around here, just about everyone I know has a cold or has just gotten over one .... any chance you are catching something?

I was feeling moderately slumpish too, but I think in my case it's a bit of nerves about my first 5K (blush, I am a newbie!).  Just got back from a run this evening and it went fine so I think I am just questionning my plans.

I hope you feel better in a day or so.  If not, and if you don't find you are coughing and sneezing, I'd say give your doctor a quick call for a checkup.

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Sep 22, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to mfaulkner89)

Michelle,

Your symptoms sound like overtraining.  You've increased your mileage a whole lot.  You should scale back your running for a week or so and substitute cross training activities to give your running muscles a rest.

You don't say when your marathon is, but you should have time to recover and then get back on track.

Good luck,

SV

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Sep 22, 2010 6:13 PM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

+1 on overtraining. Been there (doing it now, as a matter of fact).

The best thing to do is take some pressure off by doing some cross training as SV says, throwing in a few rest days, and slowing down some on your run days.

Good luck busting out of the slump!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• Maggie:) Amateur 10 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    5. Sep 29, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to mfaulkner89)

How are you feeling?

Having run myself into several severe bouts of overtraining, I recently engaged a coach to assist with training for an Ironman.  I'm currently recovering from overtraining (again) and my coach told me that any running, even in zone 1, is too stressful on the body to allow full recovery.  He also told me that after about 10 days of rest (I'm doing easy rides on the bike and swimming), I'll feel back to normal, but that if I jump right back into hard training at that point, I'll wind up right back at square one.

Don't know if that helps at all, but good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points