Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4552 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2013 1:28 PM by MarkEichenlaub RSS 1 2 Previous Next
mbunny Amateur 13 posts since
Jul 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 23, 2010 7:30 AM

Really really nervous about race.

I have signed up for a 5k race on Saturday October 2nd. I finished the C25K program a little over a month ago. I took a week off after I finished C25K because we went on vacation. For the past month I have been running 5k on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. My 1 year old daughter was sick 2 weeks ago. So I could not run the whole week because I couldn't leave her with her regular sitter or at the gym daycare. I also didn't want to have her out and make her even more sick. So I decide running with her in the jogger like we usually do wasn't a good idea.  Last week I was able to run on Tuesday and Thursday. I even ran 5k in my fastest time ever 35:08 and that is while pushing 50lbs of baby and stroller. That got me really excited about the race. On Saturday I woke up sick so I decided not to run and try for a run on Sunday or Monday. I was still not feeling well on either of those days. I told myself I had to run on Tuesday so I took some cold medicine and went for it. I felt so out of it from the medicine I couldn't even make it to the 1 mile marker before I turned around and walked back to my car. I decide not to run today because I am still feeling  pretty sick. Missing all this running time really wasn't bothering me because I wasn't running a 5k race to win. I was just running to say that I did it. But for some reason I decided to look at the times from last years race. The fastest time was 18min and most every one else was in the low to mid 20min area. All this has made me really nervous bout the race. I have been sick not running or running really bad. I am super slow and never run in a race before. I had no idea that I signed up for a race the is full of hardcore runners. I really don't want to make a fool out of myself by finishing last in the 35 to 40 minute area or worse not even finishing. I am so nervous now!! I almost want to just drop out and not run.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 23, 2010 8:19 AM (in response to mbunny)
    Re: Really really nervous about race.

You will be fine, run the race.  The only way that the hard core runners would be borthered is if you start at the front.  Start towards the back and run your race the pace you want to run it.   Have fun the running community is great and even the hard core people loved seeing new runners out on the course.  At our local events we have runners that run low 15's and runners who run 40's.  And they all get along great, you will fine that most all are very understanding and just love that the ruuning community is growing!  Enjoy it, do your best!

• johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    2. Sep 23, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to mbunny)

Sounds like a poorly attended race with not much interest, to me.  Are you sure you read all the results?

18 minutes isn't hard core.  Any average high school kid can run 18 minutes.  Just more of  a challenge for old farts like me.  Wait, I guess I shouldn't be so sexist and clarify unless you're looking at all female results there?  Then, you've got yourself quite an impressive group of runners.  Now, that really sounds sexist.  And to complete the thought, I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate 5K completion times to dedication.  There's plenty of people on this forum who don't run 18 minutes and I bet are a heck of a lot more determined and put more into running than some people who may just happen to be faster.

Most 5K races I participate in at have numerous walkers bringing up the rear.  The slowest runner times reach easily into the upper 30-40 minute range.

Who are you competing against?  Just go, run your race, walk if you need, and don't worry about speed-that will come once you're hooked on the 5K races, which will probably be highly likely 35-45 minutes after the gun goes off early am on 10/2.

• ClimbingGal Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 27, 2010
    3. Sep 23, 2010 9:39 AM (in response to mbunny)

Wow.  Baby + stroller weighs 50 pounds?!?!  If you are running 5k on your own and pushing that much weight, I bet your 5k race time without having to push the 50 pounds will be much better.

Are you sure you scrolled through all the results?  Typically, results will range from 15 something to 40 or even 50 something for a 5k.

I'd say to run the race and have fun.  It will give you a baseline and motivate you to set goals for your next 5k.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but ropes and 'biners excite me.

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    4. Sep 23, 2010 11:27 AM (in response to mbunny)

I agree with the others -- just go and do your best! Use it as a starting point, and see how you do! And I also think that there were probably pages of the results that you didn't see -- I can't imagine that everyone was that fast!

Good luck, and have fun!

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    5. Sep 23, 2010 12:18 PM (in response to mbunny)

Run YOUR race.  Remind yourself that you're faster that all the people who decided to not run/attend this race, and then remind yourself (again) that you're running FOR YOU and not for anyone else.

If you're not feeling your best, don't worry, run the best you can THAT day.  (I have colitis and some days I am just not running (well, my feet aren't) for anything. I use to feel bad about that, but my training coach reminds me that I'm doing this for me and not for anyone else and that he's amazed someone with an illness like mine is running!).

The local races I've been to have been mostly small crowds; the one that sticks in my mind is the 4th of July one, off/on drizzle, about 40 people total and I was one of the last three people to come in. You know what got me though, one of the leaders came out and ran us in---found out he was the track coach at one of the local colleges. HOW awesome is that?

Most of my times last year were  35/38 minutes for a 5K. My fastest one was the race where the firefighters run in full turn out gear--I couldn't let them pass me so I kept running faster--they had to stop and get new oxygen, I slowed a little (for a breather), but kept running and then they caught up to me and I just pushed a little harder. I didn't use the firefighters to make myself feel bad, I used them as MOTIVATION. and that was my FASTEST 5K --to date.

Don't psych yourself out over your illness--put that behind you, know that your body's condition that you've been working on for quite some time will help you in the race---and, if you need to, take a minute in the race to walk and recover, then start running again. Sometimes breathers are okay!

ETA:

Sounds like a poorly attended race with not much interest, to me. Are you sure you read all the results?

I second this;  some places only list the top 25 finishers on their main page and you have to search to find out all the finishing times.

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• squeakygirl Legend 557 posts since
    Apr 6, 2010
    6. Sep 23, 2010 6:35 PM (in response to ClimbingGal)

ClimbingGal wrote:

Wow.  Baby + stroller weighs 50 pounds?!?!  If you are running 5k on your own and pushing that much weight, I bet your 5k race time without having to push the 50 pounds will be much better.

I absolutely agree!

Most importantly though - do not worry what others will think.  In all the races I've run so far, the people bringing up the rear get so much encouragement from spectators, race organizers, and the people that have already finished the race! It helps get you through when you see how encouraging everyone is!

You'll do great - you'll get your very own official PR - and you can say that you completed a 5k race.  What's better after you've worked so hard to graduate couch to 5k?

Couch-to-5k Graduate: July 28, 2010

Complete:

NK5K - My First 5k as a Runner: 9/11/2010: 34:57

CVS Downtown 5k: 9/19/10 31:31

Oceans Run 5k: 9/26/10 31:40

Newport Federal Pie Run:  11/25/10 (5 miles) 49:04

Downtown Jingle Bell 5k: 12/5/10 27:37 (A new PR - Woohoo!!!!)

Upcoming:

Charleston Half Marathon (My 1st): http://lowcountrymarathon.com/ 1/15/11

Shape Up RI Half Marathon: http://www.coxrhoderaces.com/ 5/1/2011

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

• johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    13. Sep 24, 2010 11:00 AM (in response to mbunny)

mbunny wrote:

I tend to be really upset when I don't do my best. But that is Just my Personality.

You're in trouble then, join the club.  You'll never be satisfied, never really think you've done your best. It's what keeps us crazy runners pushing for more.  I'm currently sitting here with a tennis ball jammed into the side of my thigh trying to make it hurt as much as possible, in the interest that it will relieve what I think is a knot.  We're all a little nuts.  Normal people don't do such things.  As Steve Prefontaine said, If you are a runner your never completely satisfied unless you get a World’s Record.

• Regina Keith Amateur 19 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    14. Sep 24, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to mbunny)

Be proud of yourself. You’re taking on this new challenge the right way. I decided to run a 5K last August with no training and no running experience and it was miserable. I hated every single step, but decided to try another one with proper training. I didn’t do C25K, but wish I had. I just started running with a local running club and have my first trained-for 5K tomorrow! They are expecting 8,000 runners for the 5K and HM combined.

Don’t mean to be a drag, but I do want to share lessons I learned by doing them ALL wrong for my 1 and only 5K to date: Start slow and pick up speed if you have energy toward the middle/end. If you feel like you’re going to hurl, slow down. You can’t drink water if you are gasping. Strangling and running don’t mix well. Hydrate today. Don’t wear headphones, they isolate you from other runners. Don’t run the whole race staring at the pavement wishing it was over or you’ll miss making new friends and enjoying the ambiance of it all. Don’t consider walking failure. Most recreational runners who take short walk breaks have better times than running the whole way.

On the bright side, you will probably amaze yourself, even if you aren’t completely on your game. The race environment is magical and the running community really does embrace newbies.

Regardless of your time, you will set a personal record!

Tomato 5K (8/14/10) 37:42 (Heat Index 103)

Womens Running Magazine 5K (9/25/10) 35:32 PR

Upcoming:

Shelby Bottoms Boogie 5K (10/2/10)

Disneyworld HM (1/8/11)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...