Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

764 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2010 12:37 PM by MistyD123
MistyD123 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 23, 2010 12:37 PM

New-ish runner - lots of ?s & I really want to reduce my mile time!

I am a new runner, and I have a ton of questions. I hope that someone can help. I used to run a lot, but I got very out of shape.

I tore my ACL and had surgery in 2005, and have been pretty out of shape since then.

I started running again about 6-8 weeks ago, and surprisingly have found it to be not too terribly bad. I started running again because my son has a one mile fun run at his school and wants me to run with him. I started out just jogging for distance, and my pace was slow as crap. No surprise there. I want to know now how I can train to get my mile to about 6:30 (or shorter just because I'd love to show off). Right now, I am at about 6:45 or 6:50. My 10 year old son easily keeps pace with me, which I think is just fantastic! It definitely takes me back to my track-running days as a kid!

Ok, so what I usually do is warm up by walking and then I jog a little, then I stop and stretch and then I run the mile at a fast pace (6:45 or so). Once I have run that mile, I slow down to a jog and I run another mile or mile and a half. About every other day, I'll throw some sprints in with my cool down jog. All in all, I am doing about 3 miles every time I run.

How can I reduce the time for the mile? The race is scheduled for Saturday, October 30.

Thanks VERY much for helping!

Misty

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points