Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2010 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 24, 2010 9:01 AM by lenzlaw RSS
restrepo1 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 23, 2010 6:07 PM

Looking for a 4 week training plan

Hello - I am new to running and would like to participate in a 10k on October 24th.  Can someone help me in developing a 4 week training plan to prepare? Some information to know about me:

• I do 75% on my running indoors and will have to adjust to doing more outside
  • I can currently run up to between 4 (outdoor) to 4.5 (indoor) miles (on good days)
  • I have only been running 2-3 times per week, which I know I may have to change

I know I need to devote myself more and would love some advice in doing so. Thanks.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,313 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 24, 2010 9:01 AM (in response to restrepo1)
    Re: Looking for a 4 week training plan

Training 4 miles 3 times a week is enough to get you through a 10K in reasonable comfort.  You won't set the world on fire but you should be able to finish.  I'd suggest you move more of your running outside, and make sure you're doing at least those 4 miles 3 times a week.  The main thing for now is to be consistent with that.  After a couple weeks you could add a 4th day, start short, maybe 2 miles, then add a mile each week until you're doing 4 days at 4 miles.  Build from there.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points