Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1801 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2010 10:42 PM by thedevotedrunner RSS
Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
Oct 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 25, 2010 7:13 PM

shorts/pants abrasion question

I have been having a problem with some of my running pants creating a lovely "abrasion" on my rump and general area.   The first pair I threw out (okay, goodwill). They were good for 5, 8, 10, mile runs, but when I wore them in a half marathon I got a seam abrasion on my rump (when I inspected them afterwards, realized they weren't princess/flat seams as I had thought).  They were an after thought in the suitcase and I planned to wear shorts, but it was really cold so I wore the knickers instead.

The next happened in my last half in September. These were Nike and have princess seams--the abrasion was at the cotton insert along a princess seam in that location.

The next abrasion happened tonight, in my beloved Nike shorts (the ones with a pocket over the rump). The abrasion is in the same spot as mentioned above.  I'm worried this is going to happen with the knickers that are the same design.

a) does anyone else have this problem and what have you done as a remedy to ensure it doesn't happen again

b) does it help to wear sports undies with the pants?  I figured I'd chafe if I wore those (and had been advised against wearing underpants); however, I just saw UnderArmor at the store and wondered about them, but didn't spend the $$ for them before checking out the question with others.

c) I picked up some bag balm to help with the abrasion :-D

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points