Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1223 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2010 12:16 PM by Lola running RSS
Lola running Rookie 6 posts since
Sep 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 26, 2010 12:16 PM

Oops. I think I started running. Which week do I start?

Hi, everyone,

I accidentally started running a few weeks ago.

This past August, I began a 6-week training session to get me back into exercising. My trainer was amazing and I saw and felt the results fairly quickly. Well, the sessions were a gift and, after reviewing my budget (I'm a high school teacher), I couldn't afford a personal trainer anymore. However, I was determined to not let that gift of training and all the hard work I put into it go to waste.

So, I've been making a concerted effort to get to my gym and work out. No more elevators for me at work. Watching what I ate and really thinking about the foods I was consuming. The first week, I went 3 times. On that  Sunday, I decided that I would try to run--just to see what happened. I've never run in my life. Imagine my shock when I lifted my towel off the treadmill clock and discovered I had been running for 3 minutes at a speed of 4.0! And the best part was that I wasn't even winded. I walked for 3 minutes, then started running again, and it felt awesome. Needless to say--I'm hooked. When I got home from the gym, I told my boyfriend about the physical and psychological breakthrough that happened to me and it felt so great when he said, "Wow. That's awesome, babe."

Last Thursday, after a 4 day hiatus because I was sick (sick after running--is that common??), I did the same thing as before. Difference was, the next day, I wasn't as sore as before. So, when I reviewed the C25K program, should I start at week one or later? Any advice would be helpful. I don't want to detract from my current progress.

Thanks!

E~

"Do or do not. There is no try"

~ Yoda

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd skip week 1 and maybe week 2.  All depends on what you did after the initial run then walk.  But the other thing to think about is how long was your total run?  With c25k, you end up with 30 minutes of exercise including warm up and cool down.  If you just went out and ran the 3 minutes then walked 3, you may feel that you need to build up your full length of the run-walk session.

I know that didn't really answer anything, but it really needs to be your decision.

Great move on the skipping the elevators at work.  For me, that adds at least 100 steps that I walk up and down each day.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008

Congrats so far!  I think you would be safe to skip the first week, but I would probably start on week 2.  Although you said you ran for 3 minutes, it would probably be good to get in the habit of the run/walk intervals and also for doing the cardio for 25-30 minutes at a time.

If you've already started Week 3, I'm sure you'll be fine, but you have to remember that just because your lungs aren't tired, there are a lot of muscles in the lower leg that have to build up strength for new runners.  (This is why you hear so many new runners with shin splints, etc). 

You might want to go ahead and look for local 5k races.  If you find one that's more than 9 weeks out, then there's no rush, might as well start the program from week 1.  Good luck!

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• RunningAwayinTN Amateur 26 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010

I agree that I'd just skip to week two.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...