Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1152 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 7:23 AM by washwords RSS
washwords Rookie 7 posts since
Nov 19, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2010 7:27 AM

C25k - anyone at week 4/5 right now?

Hi all -- been getting lots of inspiration from the folks on the Week 5 and beyond thread, but... many of them/you are already at week 6 and 7. I'm just heading into week 5 (will do day 3, week 4, today or tomorrow) and i'm terrified of 8 minutes of continuous jogging, let alone 20? help! how did you do it.

I confess i took a break from the formal c25k to run/walk myself  for a while, I could run 3 mins at a time but... that was agbout it so the 5 mins at a time are a BIG change for me. i dunno how you do 20! mostly it's the breathing that's trouble but... my legs and feet feel like achy wood all the time. sorry for whining and thanks!

• tomiller97 Amateur 19 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 30, 2010 4:56 AM (in response to washwords)
    Re: C25k - anyone at week 4/5 right now?

I started the C25K program back in August and have found many excuses why I can't run....I just ate dinner....working late....wanna play with the kids....etc etc...so I am only on Week 4 day 2.  I was a bit intimidated by the 2- 5 minute runs but it's definitely all in your head.  What I like to do is use my MP3 player and put upbeat music on.  Set up a special playlist for running with songs that have a good beat.  I've found some songs where the beat is pretty close to the pace at which my feet strike the ground and I concentrate on trying to match the beat of the song.  I set mini-goals while I'm running where I say DON'T look at your watch until you reach the next block...or 2 more lightpoles...or the next parked car and then peak at the time...otherwise I force myself to tough it out regardless of how fast I'm running.  The other thing I have tried to do was set up a playlist with music that is the same duration as the segment you are runing (I've found some techno versions of the songs that went 5 minutes long so I knew I had to keep going as long as the song was on without looking at my watch).

This weekend I finished my first 5K even though I'm less than halfway through the program.  I couldn't run the entire race but I did finish it, I wasn't last place and I didn't collapse.  It is very do-able.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Started C25K: Aug 4, 2010 Finished April 2012

Weight: April 2011: 330lbs

April 15, 2012: 268lbs

many excuses....more excuses...start over....

Current Status: COMPLETED 5k 34 minutes
    Recently ran 3.5miles in 35 minutes!

Races:

Race for the Cure 5k: 9/26/10 / 36:30

Race for the Cure 5k: 9/25/11 / 34:20

Ohio Tough Mudder: 4/15/12 / 4hours 15 minutes and a SUCCESSFUL FINISHER!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points