Skip navigation

36172 Views 106 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2012 9:59 AM by LadyGreyDoom RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Previous Next
  • TartiePants Amateur 17 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 9, 2010 6:56 AM (in response to skatinrn)
    Re: Any 200+lb walkers out there?

Ha! Thank You. I was wondering it was driving me nuts all week. I like to send personal thank you's and I couldn't figure it out. I can imagine how long with the check processing and all that, the web has saved me time, though I have a way to go. The 6 1/2 break sounds like a good plan yeah 26 1 miles is too much to count. Do you train on your own now or have you found another training program? I love the team aspect and I get alot of support from my team. I know they keep me going so I want to keep training with a team but I so can't raise money like this again for a long time.  Thank you again! When you get random mail from FL you'll know who it is.!

Start: 274 8/28/10

Goal: 225 1/9/11

Final Goal: 165 by ???

Training for:

Women's 1/2 Marathon St. Pete FL 11/21/10

Disney Marathon 1/9/11

Help find a cure for blood cancers, support Team in Training!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ncfl/wdw11/eschmidt

Aug 31, 2010
    16. Oct 9, 2010 7:04 AM (in response to scrappin gal)

C25K - couch to 5 K and clearly you girl are not on the couch..lol good luck on your 5 k ! 90??? ugh the weather FINALLY changed here it was perfect to run in this am, nice cool no humidity. (=

Training for:

Disney Marathon 1/9/11

• skatinrn Amateur 12 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    17. Oct 9, 2010 9:51 AM (in response to TartiePants)

Hi ya,

I have trained mostly on my own. I live in the outskirts of the SF Bay Area,  and to train with others usually requires a 30 minute drive. Add that to a 40 hour work week, a 40 minute commute to work, and I jst found it easeir to walk on my own. Like I said, I'm slow, but I finish.

I'm doing the NIke 1/2 Marathon next week in San Francisco, and I  somewhat concerned-my training has been only about 3-6 miles every week or so. The thing I need to remember is this is not a race for me, it's just being able to do it. When I registered, there was a question on why I was doing the race-I wrote in "Because I can". I'm an RN and I've seen a lot of people my age or younger who can't complete.

Good luck with your training-

• TisShannon Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009
    18. Oct 11, 2010 4:49 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hey there!!

When I initially started to lose weight, I used to weigh 525 pounds.  I started by walking in the pool, because the weight wasn't such an issue on my joints.

I lost 100 pounds, and then started training for the breast cancer 3DAY. (3 days 60 miles).  YES I KNOW.. Insanity at its best. LOL But, I did it.. AND I walked it down 175 pounds.  This year I walked the breast cancer 3day in Denver again, down 250 pounds.  I am just a few months from being 300 pounds down.. BOY do I have stories about training and getting ready to walk.  I'm working another Breast cancer 3day, have walked the Turkey trot, cherry creek sneak, the race for the cure, home runs for the homeless, heck.. Give me a 5k and I'll show up and walk it now. <Laughing>

HOWEVER, being as big as I am, I did get a stress fracture to my foot, and had a knee injury.. To get truly healthy and to walk healthy you also need to work on your core strength.  Your back and your abs.. You've got to get them strong, so you walk upright, and aren't pulled forward..

If you want to follow my story, talk to me, and just ask questions, or to just chat, I'm on facebook. TisShannon@gmail.com    You can see all my pictures and follow my journey.

Shannon

• SusanJWalker Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2009
    19. Oct 16, 2010 8:17 AM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hi there!  I am 204...my highest weight ever!  I am a diabetic on metformin and I am struggling with plantar fasciitis since July and that has really hampered my walking.  I just came back from a week in Washington, D.C. where I did walk quite a bit and today I walked 2 miles with some pain.  In fact I am working on stretching out my feet as I sit here.  That really seems to make a difference.  I've set up my schedule on the workout calendar and plan to walk about 30 minutes 5x a week coupled with 2 days of upper-body strength training and 3 days of active yoga.  On the other 2 days my goal is to walk an hour.  Each walk followed by a good stretch out.

I would love to join the discussion group!

Susan

• WalkingMyButtOff Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2010
    20. Oct 16, 2010 5:54 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hi Everyone! I am 57, 228 and Type II diabetes. I have recently lost close to 30# by regulating my food but have discovered my love to walk. I like to walk about 60-90 minutes once or twice a week. However, on this website I just printed off the 5k run/walk training plan by Gale Bernhardt and will try to incorporate that into my life starting in two weeks. I would really like to be a runner; but I too am concerned about physical damage to my body. I plan to take it slow and buy some new shoes! Is this similar to the Couch2-5k that is on here? Oh well, I have to start someplace and this happens to be it. Yesterday I ran across the road when I was walking. I know that may not sound like anything to some but to me - WOW - I didn't even think about it, just ran. A first for me. LOL I got so excited you would have thought I did a marathon!  Thanks for being here for support. Carren

Oct 4, 2010
    21. Oct 16, 2010 6:04 PM (in response to TartiePants)

Hey Tartie,

Wish me luck, In about 13 hours I am going to do the Nike 1/2 marathon. My lack of training is starting to overcome my confidence, so I am eating more to compensate, (sigh).

skatinrn

Aug 31, 2010
    22. Oct 17, 2010 8:38 AM (in response to skatinrn)

Good luck!!!

By the time you read this I know you will have finished but I know you will have done it and kicked butt!

Also,

Welcome all you new posters!

Training for:

Disney Marathon 1/9/11

• scrappin gal Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 17, 2008
    23. Oct 17, 2010 10:51 AM (in response to skatinrn)

Congratulations on completing your 1/2 marathon!!!!  That's sooo cool!  Isn't it a great feeling to go across that finish line...no matter how long it took, you finished it!   Great job.

Oct 4, 2010
    24. Oct 17, 2010 7:14 PM (in response to TartiePants)

Well it wasn't pretty, but I did it. Unofficial time 4'42". I expected 4 1/2 hours, so I'm pleased. The first 6 miles were fabulous-good weather, flat, music at the different mile markers. The form mile 6 to mile 8, it is 90% hill. Plus, at mile 6 it began to rain, and never stopped. The best part of the whole experience is the firemen in tuxes giving out Tiffany boxes with a Tiffany mecklace inside. Makes it all worthwhile. If anyone cares, here's the link to the newspaper site:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/article?f=/c/a/2010/10/17/BAMF1FU1CR.DTL.

I lied-the best part was burning 1770 calories. If you don't have it, I recommend invsting in the Nike + /GPS app. Or, just the Nike + setup. There is a transponder in the sole of your shoe (or in a small non NIke pocketattached to your shoe laces). The transponder talks to a receiver in your ipod or iphone. It records your walks, your pace, your time, calories burned, etc. It's wonderful for motivation.

Good luck to everyone else who is training for a 1/2 marathon-

skatinrn

• TeriLou72 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    25. Oct 20, 2010 5:12 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hi   I'm a 38yo, 200+ walker.  Since Oct 1st, I've walked 102 miles ... is that normal, no ... and my knees are beginning to hate me, but I am training for the Tampa Koman 3Day walk in 9 days, (my 1st time.)  I'll slow down after that, I am sure .... and I hope to get back to running.  I had started a few years back, but never stuck to it. 

I feel good walking, and less things "bounce," than when I run, but it is so frustrating.  Last Saturday I walked 19.2 miles, (5 & a half hours of walking,) and according to www.mapmywalk.com, I burned a whopping 1,527 pounds.  Is that even a McMeal???  I have heard about the Cto5K plan ... I am considering setting my sites on the Race for the Cure next year instead of the walk. 

It seems easier to find running partners than it is to find someone to walk with ... very frustrating!

Teri in Tampa

Aug 31, 2010
    26. Oct 20, 2010 7:47 PM (in response to TeriLou72)

Hey Terri,

I'm up in Jacksonville. I totally understand about the time frustration and I am a pretty fast walker but still. Runners were talking about their times and I just thought about dang if I am on my time, I'd only be 1/2 way done. I try and shut it out when I start to think that because at the end of the day we are all going to have gone 26.2 smae with you at the end everyone will have done the what is it 100+ 3 day miles or something like that. I have however found myself just doing periods of running because I get board with the walking. I am just focusing on getting done with my 1/2s and my whole marathon and then next year when it is all done I'll see about being a runnner.

Also UGH after 6 weeks of training these last 3 weeks have sucked with my shoes. My left foot is blistering like crazy. The shoe stretched and now the heel is rubbing against the freakin pronation support in the shoe... 130 bucks for these shoes and my dang 20 walmart Dr. Schol's feel better. I am now up to 3 socks on that foot I have 10 miles to do on sat and then a 10 mile race Halloween morning. Then I have my 1/2 in Nov another 1/2 right before x-mas and the dang whole right after new years.

Training for:

Disney Marathon 1/9/11

• mmwquilt Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2009
    27. Oct 22, 2010 11:48 AM (in response to TartiePants)

Hi.  I'm new to this site but I'm not new to walking.  I've been walking in races off and on since 2005.  In April of this year, I got serious about it and my weight has gone from 289 to 237.  I still have a long way to go to my goal weight but walking has definitely helped.

I've been doing 5Ks, 10Ks, and half marathons.  I like half marathons best because I feel like I've really accomplished something afterward.  On Oct. 17, I did the Columbus (Ohio) half marathon.  In 2008, my time in this race was 3:39.  This time, my time was 2:58.35!  Taking off 50 pounds through walking/training has made a big difference.

As for injuries, I've had ankle and foot problems, as well as a groin injury this past summer.  I haven't had to have surgery or anything like that for these ailments but injuries are just part of the package, I guess.  A podiatrist recently told me that I have arthritis in both feet and since I have permanent nerve damage from two back surgeries, I should not expect my feet to ever function properly.  Still, he said that I can walk as much as I want - just pay attention to what my feet tell me!

I've never tried a full marathon, but someday I will!

Hey, Tartie, have you tried double layer, moisture-wicking socks?  I use Wright socks and though they're not perfect, they seem  to help me.  I also have inserts that, before you use them the first time, you heat them up in the oven, put them in your shoes, and then wear your shoes for 10 minutes to mold the inserts to the shape of your feet.  I'm surprised at how much better my feet are feeling since I got these.

And Tartie - you inspire me!  Great job!

Aug 31, 2010
    28. Oct 31, 2010 12:51 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to say I did a 10 mile race today, the Pumkin Run, we run through and around a cemetary. I did pretty good was at a 14:30 pace till about mile 8 when all the energy left me finished at 2:28:48 so that was good but I know I need to carry chews and do more cardio training for my next 1/2 in THREE WEEKS!!!!! AKKKK!

Training for:

Disney Marathon 1/9/11

• bigmammagus Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 2, 2010
    29. Oct 31, 2010 2:11 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hey Guys,

I am so glad there are other 200+ walkers out there, you give me motivation.  I am 245 and have now walked 3 -5ks.  I have improved my time on each walk by a couple of minutes. My last one was this weekend and I came in last, which I came in last on the first one also.  I am not discourage though.  I completed the whole 5K I didn't cheat and cut through (saw that), I did do the walk (a lot of people apparently sign up for the give aways or just to support the cause).  I only wonder what they are thinking about this older (53) heavy women coming in last, and then I think "what do I care".  I am out here doing something no matter how long it takes!  I like some of the inspiration out there for the 10ks and 1/2 marathons. I will be there one day soon.  Keep walking people.

1 2 3 4 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...