Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2947 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2010 7:48 AM by MichelleLaubach RSS
MichelleLaubach Rookie 7 posts since
Sep 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 30, 2010 7:19 PM

Brand new to running...

Hi all you experienced runners!

I just signed up for the C25K program. I begin tomorrow. I have always been awful at running but wanted to get better!

I know I need a good pair of running shoes, but what else should I have? A HR monitor, some sort of distance calculator?

I really don't know where to begin!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Michelle

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    1. Oct 2, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to MichelleLaubach)
    Re: Brand new to running...

That's all you really need, good shoes.  Ok, there's barefoot running, but most newbies don't do that.  Everything else is fluff.

I know that I'm into technology.  So I got a Nike+ Sportband so it will automatically upload my runs to my Nike account.  It helps me to keep on track.  I also like to look at how I'm progressing on there.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• ready2runn Amateur 29 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    2. Oct 2, 2010 2:41 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

Hi Michelle!!!! I just started too... I just did W1D2 today.  Did u start the program yet?? How did your first run go??

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." -Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever".  - Lance Armstrong

Began Couch-to 5K  9/29/10

Goal: To graduate the program within 12 weeks or by New Years 2011!!!

COMPLETED C25K 12/2/2010!!!

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    5. Oct 2, 2010 4:45 PM (in response to MichelleLaubach)

MichelleLaubach wrote:

Thanks so much! I will look for a Nike i.d. tomorrow. Does that calculate distance? That's my biggest 'concern". I can tell (obviously from my watch) how long I've been running but have no clue as to the actual mileage.

By Nike ID, do you mean the Nike+ Sportband?  If so, yes, it measures distance.  It is supposed to be close out of the box, but you can calibrate it to your stride.  I'm happy with mine.  If you use an Ipod Nano, they have a model that works with that as well.  I found mine in Dicks Sporting Goods in the shoe section.  If you get one, look for me on there, I'm always looking for new friends on there.  Since it is new to me, I don't have many on there.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    6. Oct 2, 2010 5:10 PM (in response to MichelleLaubach)

I've run for years without ever having a HR monitor or a distance calculator (I have a $10 chronograph watch from Target to calculate my pace.)   The gadgets and doo-dads are fun, but they aren't necessary.  What IS necessary - besides proper footwear - is good, comfortable clothing.  The shoes, socks and clothing are what will make or break you, not the accessories.  You don't want chafing or blisters; you don't want to be too warm or cold; you don't want fabrics that don't breathe; you want good support for areas that "bounce".  If you're so inclined you might want to also look cute because if you look good you feel good (or something like that!)  I know that once I "dress out" for running, I automatically feel more fit and athletic and ready to go.   It gets me mentally ready to run.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on these things.  You can find Champion workout clothing at Target that is adequate and afforadable.  Happy Running!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Oct 4, 2010 7:29 AM (in response to MichelleLaubach)

The only thing I bought was an armband for my Ipod. I already had everything else. Good Luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points