Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

625 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2010 3:15 PM by emmaleigh47 RSS
emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
Jun 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2010 3:15 PM

Recovering from Serious Illness... Advice Needed

Hello - I love this group and you guys have been very supportive and wonderful over the last few months - so now I am reaching out for again some assistance.

I did my first 5K 2 weeks ago ... 45:19 was my time. Yes, its slow, but I was proud of it. I was able to run mostly 4 minutes/walk 2 minutes for the entire 5K including a sprint at the end. I gave 110% and I was happy with my efforts.

Three days after my 5K I got influenza A and spent 3 days with a >102 fever. Then right at the tail end of that I got pnuemonia. I am still coughing a bit, but since last Monday I feel tremendously better.

Monday I tried to run... a leisurely 1min run/2 min walk ... and I ended up giving up after 1 mile because of the wheezing and inability to take a deep breath. I rested until Thursday ... and Thursday I had an ok run ... dont know what the intervals were or the time because I was late to the running class and just picked up midway. I felt like I was back ...was pretty confident with my run and excited to run today.

Today I started out with a planned 2 min run / 2 min walk .... the first run I felt great and went for 4minutes..... I was able to complete another 4 intervals of 2:2 and then I just absolutely ran out of gas... I walked for 4 minutes thinking that would help... and then ran another 2 intervals... and then had to walk the rest. I didnt even feel like I was recovering on the walks, and normally I am able to recover during the walking time.

So here are my questions ... what the heck am I doing wrong? Could I have really lost that much ability in 2 weeks. I have another 5K in 2 more weeks and am terrified that I will actually post a slower time than my first 5K.

My plan is to try 2:2 tomorrow with NO extension of the intervals...... but Im really upset ...... and yes kinda whiny!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...