Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2800 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2010 7:41 AM by Tivogirl RSS
kycanonist Expert 58 posts since
Jan 16, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2010 9:44 AM

Shin pain

Okay, so I have a little shin pain when I'm doing my training (I'm on W3D1 today)...  it seems to hurt more when I walk than when I run, go figure... and it doesn't hurt at all when I'm done.  Should I be icing it?  I just got new shoes from the running store last week...  so I don't think that's it.  Is it just that I'm overweight and the extra weight is just hurting me?

What do you all think?

Started C25K: 20 Sept 2010

C25k status: Week 4

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    1. Oct 4, 2010 10:25 AM (in response to kycanonist)
    Re: Shin pain

Greetings!

I'd say it depends on what your body's trying to tell you, and that's related to your definition of "little".  It's relative, afterall.  In my experience, if it doesn't hurt after the run, don't worry about it.  Sometimes when I take long layoffs I'll have minor shin pain when easing back into a training schedule, and as soon as I start worrying about it during a run, I think of something else and it fades away.  We all hear horror stories about shin splints, and for that reason I used to freak out whenever I'd get the slightest twinge, but if you're only on W3 you're probably still learning your body's signals and limitations, etc.  Sounds like you're able to finish the run/walks, which is good...just continue to take it slow!  Good luck!

• catwithkittens Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    3. Oct 4, 2010 11:24 AM (in response to kycanonist)

hello there,, i used to get shin pain and found that runnin on the grass helps..also do ice them..i'm on w4d1 today and found it tough.even my shins started to hurt. but deff stay on the grass. in one way runnin on the grass is harder to do but when you go on the road on one of your three days you'll find it a lot easier...

• firstcampgirl Pro 73 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010
    4. Oct 4, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to kycanonist)

I say ice them. It can't hurt to ice your shins a few times each day.  I am a newbie and trying to start slow and my veteran marathon running friend has been urging me to start slow and ice often, so I am listening.

Newbie (wannabe) Runner

5k- Nov 20, 2010 38 mins

5k- Dec 7, 2010 36 mins

Snapple High Could Half Marathon 3:15

Half Marathon, Shamrock- March 20, 2011

Cherry Blossom 10 miler April 3, 2011

Warrior Dash May 21, 2011

• tbuckbrandon Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 30, 2010
    5. Oct 5, 2010 5:49 AM (in response to kycanonist)

I am also a newbee runner but have also experienced all sorts of leg issues including shin pain in the past. I've found that for me the pain had to do with either running too fast, pushing too hard or going too far. Once I backed down my pace a bit the shin splints pretty much went away on their own.

I think your body is still adjusting to running. I'd back off just a bit and see if the shin splints subside. Once your body adapts to the running a little more then you can concentrate on speeding up your pace.  Icing is not a bad idea either.

Another thing that helped me sooth the shin pain is to sit on the floor and run your hands along the the sides of your calf using your thumbs to massage up and down along each side of your shin. If your doing this right it WILL be somewhat uncomfortable while your doing this but it will help .

Good luck and hang in there!   

• Tivogirl Amateur 8 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    6. Oct 9, 2010 7:41 AM (in response to kycanonist)

I ice post run and try to have a rest day between runs. 

• 6.24.10 -Finished C25K
    • 9.4.10 Steelers/Gatorade 5K - 37:32  *first 5K
    • 9.26.10 The Great Race - 33:59

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...