Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4151 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2010 12:50 PM by catwithkittens 1 2 Previous Next
Leatherpencilskirt78 Amateur 23 posts since
Oct 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2010 12:47 PM

Tomorrow I will start my Journey

Just wanted to say Hi to all and meet a few people who know about this journey, have advice, have been there,and are on there own journey's! My name is Kim i don't own a scale and i have over the last 3 yrs gone from an 16 to a size 20-22 . I lost my job back in may of 09 and it's been down hill since. I have no car or way around so i need my feet to beable take me where i need to go. In my younger yrs 12-14 i'll say i walked upwards of 5-7miles a day and even younger was on a swim team. I never let miles keep me from where i wanted to go. Now it hurts to walk around a store for 30mins. I'm very unhappy with myself and how i could so easily become this lazy and let myself go. The last year or so i have become so isolated that my husband hardly gets to touch me. I cringe at the thought of him rubbing or touching my butt or Boob because i soo uncomfortable with myself. I haven't met my kids last 2 Teachers because i'm to self consious and don't want to embarass them or myself. My dental health has become a severe problem (I cant fix till i can get back to work to pay for it as well as a car.)  I have had a severe case of acne In the past 2 years aswell on top of the cholesterol deposits that sit on my upper eyelids. Many conditions that are not going to correct there selfs and My own body is going to be the answer too all my health issues. I need all the encouragement i can get to do this for myself and my family,They deserve me back and i want me back.My Husbands a great man but is 6'3 160lbs soaking wet..lol He works 6 days a week 12 hrs a day doing all he can to keep us floating and It's time for me to step up and get back into our life and stop sitting back and watching him struggle and myself dwinddle away. So here I go Root me on I need it !!

Just Do It, My New Motto!!

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    1. Oct 6, 2010 4:06 PM (in response to Leatherpencilskirt78)
    Re: Tomorrow I will start my Journey

Well, you took the first step.

Do you have a program picked out to keep you on track?  If not, how about giving Couch to 5k a shot.  You'll find that there's a bunch of folks here doing that program.

As they say, the longest journey starts with the first step.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• yogabudorunner Legend 292 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    2. Oct 6, 2010 4:10 PM (in response to Leatherpencilskirt78)

Hi Kim!  You are in the right place!

Congratulations for your decision to get going with running.  I echo the previous post in the recommendaiton to try Couch to 5K.  It's  ag reat program that bulds gradually.

Let us know how it goes.  We are all just trying to better ourselves!

Best to you,

SwimBikeRen

Yogini

Budoka

SwimBikeRUN!!!

Triathlete in training. 

2010 Turkey Trot Houston 5K:  46:00
    Austin Half Marathon:  Finished 3:06:18

Bayou City Classic 10K:  Finished 1:22:27
    TriGirl Super Sprint Triathlon (5/8/11)

The greatest journeys answer questions that, in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 6, 2010 5:15 PM (in response to Leatherpencilskirt78)

Hi Kim, you came to the right place for questions and support. Start slow, listen to your body and you can build your endurance. I started this weighing 190 I'm down now and losing inches. C25k has worked for me! It can for you too.

• 2believe@tsfl.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 1, 2010
    4. Oct 6, 2010 5:44 PM (in response to Leatherpencilskirt78)

there is always a starting point.  congratulations.  this time last year I weighed 295 lbs and now, a year later I weigh about 210.  God has placed within you everything that you need to get healthy.  It starts with the choices you make.  My wife and I will be praying for you and know and believe that you can do this.

• yogabudorunner Legend 292 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    7. Oct 7, 2010 5:41 AM (in response to Leatherpencilskirt78)

Congratulations!!!!

The first day is ALWAYS a huge challenge.  Just remember to go very slow.  Take at least one day off between your runs to rest your body.  It takes time for your muscles to figure out why you're doing this to them

Keep us posted.

Leatherpencilskirt78 wrote:

W1D1 Down ..YeeeSSSS!! Ok not gonna lie it was Hard, and i had to skip 2 of the 60 second runs about half way through i thought i was going to puke due to my throat being dry..will remember to bring a water bottle with me Sat. Morning you can count on that !! My face was way red when i finished and looked in the mirror...normal for being completely sedative for the past 3 or 4 months I'm guessing? I'm also a smoker so i'm sure that probably makes worse for me. I going to try to do this early morning and not smoke at all when i wake in the mornings before my runs. any other smokers here who run ?

P.S. The longest Journey begins with the smallest step, and i'm very proud to say my Journey has begun!!

SwimBikeRen

Yogini

Budoka

SwimBikeRUN!!!

Triathlete in training. 

2010 Turkey Trot Houston 5K:  46:00
    Austin Half Marathon:  Finished 3:06:18

Bayou City Classic 10K:  Finished 1:22:27
    TriGirl Super Sprint Triathlon (5/8/11)

The greatest journeys answer questions that, in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask.

Sep 20, 2010
    8. Oct 7, 2010 8:32 AM (in response to Leatherpencilskirt78)

Congrats on doing W1D1.  As was already said, make sure you take a day off between run days.  Take a look at your progress on W1D3 and if you feel you need it, don't be afraid to repeat that week.  There are several folks around that are running each week 2 or 3 times.

Keep in mind your goals.  Make small goals along the way.  When I think I'm at the end of my endurance for a run segment but the time hasn't passed, I look ahead and pick out a landmark and challenge myself to reach that landmark.  When I get there, if the time still has not passed, I pick out another landmark.  It is amazing how those tiny little goals add up.

And keep us posted on your progress.  There are some groups around this forum that are very inspirational.  The most inspirational one for me it the 200+ Pound Club.  Some of the members there have made tremendous progress.

Greg

Upcoming races:

• Raine16 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    9. Oct 9, 2010 4:49 PM (in response to Leatherpencilskirt78)

Hi Kim!

Congrats on taking the first step. I just completed W1D1 today, so I'm right there with you, know that you're not alone!

I'll keep posting my progress and following up with you on yours!

We can and will do it!

Raine

• karey67358 Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010

YOU CAN DO IT!

I wish there was some other way I could help you.  I have struggled with motivation issues for months now, but I keep at it.  So can yoU!  You have taken the first step; run the first 30 seconds; every time you get out there you are making yourself stronger.  Keep going!

Sep 20, 2010
    14. Oct 12, 2010 7:58 AM (in response to Leatherpencilskirt78)

Congrats on finishing that run.  I really don't remember how I did on week 1, but I know that it was difficult.  I just did W4D1 yesterday and it was really tough.  Just stick with it and keep using those visual goals to keep moving.

Greg

Upcoming races:

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...