Skip navigation

3963 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2010 4:20 PM by Phenom70
kane09 Amateur 9 posts since
Sep 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2010 5:49 PM

Workouts for lower body

What are some good lower body workouts that i can do? I don't want to do them with weights though, I'm talking about bodyweight workouts. I'm a 6"2 sophomore and I want to be dunking by the time AAU season starts!

Also, I seem to always have trouble dribbling the ball when im moving fast. For example, when we do fastbreak drills I don't feel like i have control of the ball. How high should i be dribbling the ball when on a fastbreak?

• PHXSuns1 Legend 361 posts since
    Apr 25, 2010
    1. Oct 7, 2010 8:24 AM (in response to kane09)
    Re: Workouts for lower body

Nice Information.

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    2. Oct 9, 2010 8:08 AM (in response to kane09)

Squats are excellent.

But, that's the only body weight excersise I know that shows results. It builds explosiveness.

And, you should get a weight vest, and do jump squats, and knee tuck jumps. Those will definitely build muscle in your quads, all the way down to your calf muscles.

But, lifting weights, like using the bench press, or even doing Olympic style lifts are effective, and you should start them. Dunking is about how much force of power you can generate with your whole body strength. Some people jump higher than others, and some just need to work on it.

However, body weight workouts alone won't show you the results you want for your lower body.

• aikb243 Expert 36 posts since
    May 15, 2010
    4. Oct 9, 2010 2:47 PM (in response to kane09)

Well, first of all, how high can you jump? Can you touch the rim yet?

If you answered YES:

BUY ANKLE WEIGHTS. Find the largest amount of pounds you can

• ToughD Legend 502 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    5. Oct 9, 2010 3:09 PM (in response to kane09)

Squats, wallsits, squat jumps, calf raises, jump roping.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Kevin Durant

• Legendary23 Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2010
    6. Oct 9, 2010 3:47 PM (in response to ToughD)

Quad extensions, ham curls, Get some ankle weights and do some jumps, Jump rope, Squats, Sumo squats, Step ups holding some dumbelss, If you wanna get some abs do some inside out curl ups, curls ups, crunches, Medicine ball sit ups, medicine ball twists ECT. , also take a jog every once in a while! hope this helped

• basketballhq Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 9, 2010
    7. Oct 9, 2010 5:30 PM (in response to kane09)

There are many great drills for jumping higher, running faster, and being quicker but sometimes you can improve these abilities by just improving your technique. Also just try and dunk every day. Even if you cant dunk yet jump and touch the rim, then start dunking a tennis ball and move your way up. For tons of great jumping workouts checkout basketballhq.com this website is great for learning new and fresh drills.

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    9. Oct 11, 2010 4:20 PM (in response to kane09)

A weight vest you should get should be 40-50 pounds.

At first, it's tough, but when you get use to jumping in it, then you move on to jump-roping daily, you'll feel the improvement. By the way, don't try and touch rim or anything like that with the weight vest on. Just jump rope with it on.

And, don't buy ankle weights. It will ruin your knees, and affect your jumping ability negatively. Trust me on this. I heard so many reviews on it, and I had it myself. Plus, my AAU coach told me not too, so yeah.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...