Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

887 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 8, 2010 1:31 PM by lenzlaw RSS
Jen Pulse Rookie 3 posts since
May 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 8, 2010 12:32 PM

Pre-race jitters anyone?

Hi all - Let me start by saying this - I do not consider myself a runner.  I have never liked running as an activity.  I'm an athlete, I love all sports, and running is, in my opinon, a necessary evil.    However, this year a dear friend of mine convinced me to join a training program that worked you from a 5K up (which I had already done many of) to a 10K (which I had never done) to a half marathon (yeah, right).  Honestly, I didn't think I could do it, but she convinced me to try, so I did.  I followed the training program, I did the 5K and the 10K and while my times weren't anything spectacular they were at least respectable for someone who considered  herself "in shape."  But my friend had injuries to contend with and dropped out of the program leaving me to complete the last portion of the program alone.  So, I did.  And now race day is here (tomorrow).  And I am so unbelievably nervous.

For the past two weeks I am sure I have made my husband, my family and my friends crazy with my pre-race anxiety.  "Relax" they keep telling me.  "you did the work, now just go run your race."  "You'll be fine."  All good, sound, logical advice - and all things I've told myself, repeatedly.  But it doesn't help.  I have obsessed over EVERYTHING: the weather (I struggle in temps <60), what to eat and not eat, what do I wear, what if my ipod/watch dies, do I hydrate during the run (which I don't typically do), how do I keep from having to use the bathroom halfway through the run, how will my family get to the various viewing points along the race course, what if, what if, what if.........It doesn't make sense to be this anxious!!! - I'm not trying to win my age bracket or anything - I'm just running 13.1 miles for the first time in my life.

I think I finally exhausted my anxiety this morning when I went for a nice easy, muscle-loosening 1.5m jog this morning and let myself cry for the last half mile (and laughed at myself when I finished).  So, to my fellow new runners who, against all logic, are still anxious about your upcoming race - GOOD LUCK!!! and know that you are not alone.  Be anxious, use it to get you to the start and then across the finish line - I'll be right there with you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points