Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

16245 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2011 1:47 AM by SteveBiker Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Gotta Ride Today Amateur 26 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 14, 2010 7:51 PM (in response to Joepucci)
    Re: Road ID-good or bad?

Joepucci wrote:

That day, I had to call his wife and tell her  happen and close he came from leaving Us. I must admit, I blamed myself  for awhile, for not know what I needed to know as the Ride Leader.

Lucky you were able to call his wife.  When I first started riding with my group they knew my wife from sight coming into the shop with me, but did not know her name or any of my phone numbers.  If I was not carrying a cell in my seat pack (which I rarely do) there was no way for folks to figure out how to notify my family.  It dawned on me one day that at least they should have some contact info associated with my body if something happened while I was riding in the woods alone. With that epiphany...the RoadID was a no-brainer. Like I said...I don't ride without it at all, MTB, road, or cupcake rides on the greenway.

Gotta Ride Today

aka Chuck Faulkner

Tazewell, TN 37987

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org/

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    16. Dec 15, 2010 1:15 AM (in response to Gotta Ride Today)

Road ID recently improved the buckle on their elite model. I got a purple bracelet for my 12 y.o. daughter just for cool factor but we will wear them even when we go skiing.

She thinks it is neat. And by the way, purchase your 2032 batteries from them. No one comes close to the price they offer...

EJ

• Roland541 Expert 32 posts since
    Dec 4, 2010
    18. Dec 23, 2010 4:49 PM (in response to GarylDavis)

Gary,

I just checked out the ID dog tags and I for one think they are the bomb! I don't know how you could go wrong by having that information on you just in case. I'll be ordering mine soon.

Roland

Jul 9, 2007
    20. Dec 23, 2010 8:36 PM (in response to Roland541)

The "elite" band has a new clasp which I saw with my daughter's bracelet. It looks really cool and she picked purple!  Make sure you order the #2032 batteries. They only cost $1.49 for a pack of two. This is the best bike deal anywhere!

EJL

• BHaubert Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    21. Jan 11, 2011 8:57 AM (in response to GarylDavis)

I bought a Road ID and wear it on my road rides AND when I'm out for a run.  The folks I mountain bike with know my contact information - but I road ride with different people. I think it's a no-brainer to have one.  I recommend the newer versions made of the plastic/rubber.  The older style holds "stink."

• Beapositive1 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 2, 2008
    22. Jan 12, 2011 9:10 PM (in response to GarylDavis)

I have a Road ID that I wear biking and running. I consider it part of my safety gear. There was a news story recently in Kansas City of a woman out for a run that got hit by a car, the driver stopped immediately, however she had no ID on her, so it took almost 1/2 day to locate her family - she lived less than a mile from the accident site. I am glad I have mine and hope I never have to use it...

Jul 9, 2007
    23. Jan 13, 2011 4:52 AM (in response to Beapositive1)

The folks at Road ID appreciate your sentiments.  It is no doubt hard to say but I presume there are folks alive now as a result of products which serve to identify us. In addition, since many of us are without our cell phones  please enter in the name "ICE" which stands for In Case of Emergency.  Then enter in a responsible relative or doctor.  This too can help.

EJ LEVY

• ACKMANN Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    24. Aug 30, 2011 10:07 AM (in response to MotiveForcer)

Folks, as a former firefighter/emt with 20 years on the job, I can tell you the bracelet makes the most sense.  Any "unconcious unknown" found by an EMT will be checked for a MedicAlert bracelet (or similar).  Maybe a necklace, but it can be covered under clothes.  If you have the RoadID (or similar) on, they will find it.  Can't say they will for ID anywhere else.  Not sure they will for the cellphone ICE.  The EMT is far less concerned about getting your family contacted as finding useful medical information.  But, to be safe, I wear my RoadID and usually carry my cellphone with ICE.  Law enforcement and hospital staff are more likely looking for cellphones.

For those of you with a RoadID that run or ride past a firehouse or police station, stop by, show them what you are wearing, let them know about it.  Until this year, I had never heard of them.  If you are wearing it in their community, you want to make sure they know about it.  Its your rear-end they may save some day.

BTW, I voted GOOD (with my wallet)

• lukephysio Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 14, 2011
    25. Oct 14, 2011 4:32 AM (in response to GarylDavis)
    Road ID-good or bad?

I think they are a very good idea! I used to be in the fire service and have had close links with the first aiders and first responders and it does help alot!

• SteveBiker Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 10, 2011
    26. Nov 10, 2011 1:47 AM (in response to GarylDavis)
    Road ID-good or bad?

I can't see any reason NOT to have one. I'd just hope that a first responder would look for it- I wear it on my wrist when I bike, its pretty much hidden by my cycling clothes when the weather gets cold. I also wear it in the gym, strangely thats one place where I put all my personal stuff in a locker, and thats the ONLY ID I have on me-without it something could happen and no one would know who I am.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...