Skip navigation

1160 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2011 12:54 PM by rocdoc50 RSS
Michelle Herr Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 11, 2010 8:48 AM

First half-marathons suggestions

I'm going to be signing up for my first half marathon in April 2011 in Nashville, TN.  I've been doing mostly 5K's for the last year, and did 1 8K, and will do one 10K within the next month. I get pretty bad shin splints sometimes when I run on an incline (and I've heard the Nashville course is full of hills). Any suggestions on how to get through the race without pain? I have good running shoes that I got help from a local running store in picking out for overpronation. Any other suggestions to help me finish would also be appreciated!

• Lauracooks Pro 76 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    1. Oct 21, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to Michelle Herr)
    Re: First half-marathons suggestions

Be sure your shoes are well broken in. I save the last 100 miles on a pair for long races. I also hit every water stop and be sure to start before you feel you need it. just a mouthful or so but keep at it. Try to be comfortable, run your pace. Practice your pace ahead of time. do not start too fast. if you want to pick up time do it on the end.  Try to eat food that doea not bother you in the AM the night before. you want your insides cooperative. The gasperilla 1/2 in Tampa if flat, fast and beutiful.

Lauracooks

Previous

'10 Zoo Run Run 25:31

'10 Strawbeerry Classic 10k 55:06

'10 Clearwater HM 2:02:14

'10 Space Coast Marathon 4:13:10

'11 Dances With Dirt Trail Marathon 5:54:34

'11 Bolt Run 5M 44:04

Upcoming

'11 Florida Youth Ranch Marathon

'11 Trout Creek 15K

'11 John Holmes Run/Croom 15m

'11 Wisconsin Marathon

• rocdoc50 Legend 240 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    2. Mar 5, 2011 12:54 PM (in response to Lauracooks)
    Re: First half-marathons suggestions

Great suggestions by Lauracooks.  Pacing is the key factor in almost all races you will do.  The temptation to "run with the crowd"  is always there at the beginning of a race but be strong and hold back.  This will help you avoid a possible burn out from starting too fast.  Make sure you work on hydration the day BEFORE the big run as this will make your running much easier.  Lastly, HAVE FUN.  During my first 1/2, I had no thoughts of PR's, just about enjoying the run and the thrill of doing something many will never attempt.

Lauracooks, you must be a Tampa/Clearwater resident as most of your races mirror ones I have run in the last two years.  Ran the Gasparilla 1/2 for the second time in three years this year and the weather was spectacular.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...