Skip navigation

1831 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2010 7:48 AM by GarylDavis RSS
GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
Aug 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 11, 2010 1:07 PM

How to accept the wind?

This is something of an interactive work of art for those that want to participate.  Here's what I mean.

I started riding in 1986 while in the Army in Germany.  Wide open road, actual drivers that were courteous to cyclists, plenty of rolling hills and of course "Wind"!!!

This is where I will start...I hate the Wind...always have until recently.  I know now why I hated it and why now we are simpatico.  Anyone else have a revelation like me?  If so, that's why I started this.  To share ideas and educate our audience.

Anyone with a story?

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Oct 11, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to GarylDavis)
    Re: How to accept the wind?

Wind is part and parcel of riding through our environment. It makes you feel alive, either grumbling going into it or elated with it at your back. All of your senses are more excited when riding: sights, sounds, smells, feelings all contribute to the joy we feel. If you don't embrace the wind, the rain, that which is hard or unpleasant, how can you fully appreciate the other times? The alternative is to a) not ride, or b) sit on your trainer while watching TV. I choose to ride.

BT

• Roland541 Expert 32 posts since
    Dec 4, 2010
    3. Dec 16, 2010 7:08 PM (in response to GarylDavis)
    Re: How to accept the wind?

Pick me!, Pick me!,

I use to loathe the wind! I would curse,spit, sweat grone you name it, absolutly hate it. It took me quit a few years to accept it. I use to think it was cheating me out of my average speeds and that pissed me off!

At the present it is all good, in the way that it helps me to work harder when i'm day-dreaming, it adds another relm to any cyclists' work-out. Averages..... whatever, if there is a strong headwind I hope it's 30 mph. Catch a 30 mph tail and your in heaven! And as far as rain goes....... SWEET! I ride in the rain 65-70 percent of the time in oregon. After I accepted the wind the rain fell right behind (punn). lol.

After a person accepts the elements your rides are endless!

Roland

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points