Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1157 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2010 3:02 PM by aj01 RSS
PKennedy86 Rookie 3 posts since
May 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2010 8:31 AM

Patellar Tendon Help!

My knee had been hurting the past few months, but even still then I was able to complete 5K's, 8K's, and 10K's, no problems, even running up to 6 miles a day.

I was diagnosed with a small tear of the patellar tendon or "patellar tendonitis" as one doc called it, but had an MRI done, and there is a tiny tear.

I stopped running mid-July and haven't been back sense, and I am dying to get back to it!

My phsyical therepy starts next week, but I was wondering if anyoen else has had this problem, and is it still safe to run?

If I do run, what gear should I be wearing? I know I should ice it and rest, but is it ok to train for a 10K, even if your knee hurts a little if I am rehabbing it?

I saw a sports doc and he said he still has patients playing college football and basketball with this injury.

Please help! I am 23/m.

• hlwilliams17 Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    1. Oct 12, 2010 8:37 AM (in response to PKennedy86)
    Re: Patellar Tendon Help!

OK, first off, a slight tear in your patellar tendon and patellar tendonitis are NOT the same thing.  At. All.  Patellar tendonitis is just an inflammation of the patellar tendon and while it can be painful, it can be dealt with pretty easily and you can run through it.  A tear in the tendon is more serious.  I'm not saying there is no recovery, but I'm sure those athletes playing ball with this injury have been undergoing rehab and are in PT.

My best suggestion is to lay off until your PT starts next week and then ask your therapist about a safe way to slowly start getting back into running.  You could wind up injuring yourself worse if you are not rehabbed to a point where it's safe to begin running.  At this point, what is another week?

• Main 3v3nt Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 7, 2010
    2. Oct 12, 2010 8:53 AM (in response to PKennedy86)

i have patellar tendonitis also and it is just swelling, tears are "slightly" more serious. i run daily with it in training for a half-marathon. just listen to your physical therapist, pay attention to posture, and dont push it too far. you could also run with a knee brace

• aj01 Pro 143 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    3. Oct 12, 2010 3:02 PM (in response to PKennedy86)

I think your best bet is to focus on getting better.  Put 110% into PT and get strong then ease back to running.  It's not fun now but you'll be much better off in the long run.  I went through PT through the summer for PFPS and I'm almost where I left off as far as speed and probably stronger overall.  I still baby my knees and watch my form real close now but things are improving.  There's no sense causing more damage.  Think long term.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...