Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14016 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2010 6:37 PM by ColoCorredor RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
sonsart2 Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2010 3:46 PM

Embarrassed to race?

I finished W5D3 yesterday and am taking a day off today.  I'm thinking about entering a race in early to mid-November, but I'm tentative.  It's not that I don't think I'll be ready.  In last night's run (20 minutes), I was only able to cover 2.5K (roughly 13 minute miles).  Admittedly, I took it slow last night in order to run the whole way, but even at race pace I expect to finish in 35-37 minutes, maybe a little more.  I'm afraid to finish last.  I know I'm going to be running 11-12 minute miles (at best).  Anybody else feel this way?

• MDLuketina Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    1. Oct 12, 2010 3:51 PM (in response to sonsart2)
    Re: Embarrassed to race?

I'm just starting to run again after a 10 year hiatus, and am running my first race Nov 7th.  I am hardly concerned with other peoples times and I am looking to establish a base line for myself.  That is the only time you need to be concerned with.  I use golf as my next similar sport where you expect to shoot a certain score, and every time you go out, you try to be a little better.  Just get the first one out of the way and use it as motivation to get better every time.

• nudelbomber Amateur 19 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    2. Oct 12, 2010 3:59 PM (in response to sonsart2)

You gotta run it!!!! Running an official race is incredibly exhilirating and coming across that finish line, under an enormous banner and with people cheering for you, will make you feel wonderful. Please don't cheat yourself out of that experience after all your hard work just because of minor insecurities. I'm telling you, just one race and you'll be hooked! As for your worry about finishing last: There's NO WAY you'll be the last one across that line. Remember, every race has walkers, casual runners, first-timers...folks of all different backgrounds. And at 35-37 min you'll likely be in the middle of the pack if anything. If you're truly concerned, get in a big race! The only races to avoid will be high school cross country championships

So go out there and make it happen. You deserve it and you definitely won't regret it. Your only problem will probably be that your enthusiasm for running might soon outstrip your free time!

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 12, 2010 4:02 PM (in response to sonsart2)

As much as I understand the feeling of not wanting to be the one who's being passed by everyone, keep in mind why you're running -- you're not running for anyone else, just for you. And tell me: at what point will you feel good enough to race, when you can do a 10min mile, a 9min mile, a 6min mile, etc... You can see where this is going. Stop worrying about what everyone else will think and get out there! Beside, runners are generally a very encouraging group and trust me when I say that you won't be the last one in. Keep in mind also that, if you don't do it now, you'll have nothing official to compare your progress to later. I keep all my numbers, time and date written on them, on the wall in the garage. It's a cool thing to look at from time to time -- kind of a "wall of history" of sorts. Start your wall of history now.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 12, 2010 4:22 PM (in response to sonsart2)

sonsart2 wrote:

I ran some races as a kid (10-12).  I was brutally slow then.  In fact, I was followed by an ambulance more than once in my youth.  I'd hate to have that feeling again.  There have been races that I've run thatI was so far behind they reopened the roads!  Anything in the world to not be last, at least not by a lot.

Read John "The Penguin" Bingham's book, No Need for Speed. He's finished many races after finish lines have been taken down and people have gone home yet he still gets out there time and time again.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    6. Oct 12, 2010 4:39 PM (in response to sonsart2)

Keep in mind that all races aren't created equal.  You have very competitive races - usually sponsored by track clubs - where a 37:00 5K probably would be the last one in.  On the other hand you have lots of "family friendly" fun races that are intended for runners and walkers of all abilities where you definitely wouldn't be last.  (Walkers would be coming in as late as 45:00).  Many of the fun run type races will say "Stollers, dogs and walkers welcome" so you will know you are in good company.   If you pick this type of race, you will have a good time in the back of the pack with lots of other folks who aren't overly competitive.  Go for it!

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    8. Oct 12, 2010 5:58 PM (in response to sonsart2)

I also agree with everything said here. No reason to be embarrassed! Sounds like you are well on your way!  Most races have results from previous years posted on their website.  You can look at those to get an idea of how competitive the field is.  For example, here are results from a 5k I did in August.  About 130 people came in after the 40 minute mark (1020 people ran the race).  You got this!

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• RunAlabama Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 12, 2010
    9. Oct 12, 2010 8:07 PM (in response to sonsart2)

Just wanted to throw out my support for you along with everyone else.  I did my first 5k 6 weeks ago.  It was something I had wanted to do for years but never got the courage up to try.  This time I planned it to celebrate the end of my first 90 days of getting back into the gym (and losing 20 lbs).   I was SO AFRAID that I didn't sleep for 2 nights before, and the morning of I saw all the "runner types" of which I am completely NOT...and I kept wondering why in the world I was there!   I had 3 goals: 1. Finish  2. Finish not dead last 3. Finish under 36 minutes (a big goal for myself).    I achieved goals 1 and 2, but my time was 37:29.   But I didn't even care about the time - I was just glad to finish and proud that I had finally done my 5k!!

But even better than that, it gave me incentive to keep on working out because I immediately wanted to do another 5k.  This weekend, 6 weeks after my first race, I ran another.  My time for this one was 36:06!  Still didn't catch the elusive "under 36" but I just turned that into incentive for the next run I do.  And I'm proud that what I DID do was cut over a minute off my previous time. 

And I was nowhere near last in either race.

Don't put too much into your first one - look at is as figuring out how these races work and setting your baseline.  I'm pretty sure with your times you will NOT finish last!  And if you do, that's all right too - You will feel so good that you participated and you'll gain incentive to keep working hard for the next one! 

PS. There was a 90 year old gentleman in this weekends race.  The race was over, the awards handed out...and he still had not finished... the organizers and some other runners left back out to meet him and walk the rest of the way in with him (other race volunteers were carrying up the end of the participants so he was never alone).  I thought that was the most special part of the race and I'll remember that man who came in last place LONG after I remember what my time in this race was. 

• caytie82 Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 12, 2010
    10. Oct 12, 2010 9:42 PM (in response to sonsart2)

Know what they call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school?  "Doctor!"  Who cares if you're last?  If you finish, it's a personal victory, and in the end, what other kind really matters?  Besides, as pointed out above, often the guy who finishes last gets louder cheers than the one who finishes first!  Go on out there, and don't measure yourself against anyone else.  Remember what you've accomplished, and how far you've come, and be proud!  You deserve to!

• longislandguy Pro 121 posts since
    Dec 31, 2009
    11. Oct 12, 2010 10:15 PM (in response to sonsart2)

no matter what, you'll finish ahead of everyone who never ran in the first place.

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    12. Oct 12, 2010 11:00 PM (in response to sonsart2)

Loved the answers you got.  I am super slow and hoping with a lot of hard work to someday make it to a 10 minute mile.  I was in W9 and not making it 2.5 miles.  Yieks.  You are doing great.  My plan was to finish W9 (for time) last week and start working my way up to get to 5K.  I was injured in a car accident and I haven't been able to run.  I was going to try to work thru the  (I tried 2 days after and only made it about 1/2 a mile) but the Dr advised against it.  I'm dissapointed to say the least.  I had my eye on a 5K and thought that if I pushed myself I might make it 40 minutes.  Since it was a fun run too I figured that I would finish near then end but it was unlikely I'd be last.  Still even if I was dead last it would be a record for me.  I've never even run a mile before I started this program.  (I was a swimmer, lifeguard, in my younger days and spent most of my PE time at the pool)  Just finishing would be amazing.  My advice GO FOR IT!

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    13. Oct 13, 2010 12:12 AM (in response to sonsart2)

I love all the answer you got here! There's notmuch more to say than.....go for it!!!

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• djsash77 Amateur 7 posts since
    Oct 5, 2010
    14. Oct 13, 2010 6:09 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

This has been said over and over... But I assure you, one race and you will be hooked! I was out of it for 8 years. I did a 5k with a friend this past weekend, not ready at all, and my time showed it. But I still did it anyway, and I am now looking forward to the next one, in fact I cant wait to do another one! It is now motivating me to get out there and push myself harder, so that I am ready. I hope to shave off at least 10 minutes on my next 5k in a few weeks.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...