Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1561 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2010 1:27 PM by raadland
RodneyEarle Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2010 8:16 PM

Over 40 and I feel the need to compete... again.  Anyone else?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I was a former athlete back in the mid 80's, and I miss it.  I have begun some training for running and hiking, but not anything documented, and not anything structured... until now.  I am going to start the C25K tomorrow (only because it's dark here in Hollywood already), and see it through to fruition.  Now, I WOULD have started on something a little more advanced because I do some walking and running, etc., but I want to do things right.  I want to go BEYOND the C25K and work my way up to something really big.  I have already come a long way, and, just like most people, I need some buddies, some encouragement, and I need to share successes and failures with "friends."  This is the perfect place to do it.  I am a VERY straightforward person, and I don't sugar coat things.  I expect the same from others.  I am already down 100 lbs. since the first of the year, and have 70 more to go.  By the time I get there, I want to have some great stories and successes and 5K's and 10K's and maybe even a half marathon under my belt.  Anyone want to join me? 

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010

Congrats on taking that step and bettering your health.  Lots of great stories around here, just take a look in the 200+ board.  Keep going and post your successes and failures here.  There will likely be a thread of all the people that started the C25k plan this week, if not, why not start one yourself?

Lots of motivation around here.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• raadland Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010

Hi Rodney, our stories are very similar.  I am 42 and want to compete again after being an athlete in my younger days.  I started running six months ago and have lost 34 lbs but probably still need to lose 10 or 15 more.  I signed up for a 5k about three months ago and used as motivation to take things to the next level.  I am not using any C25k program but have worked myself to the point were I am running 3 practice 5k's a week and mixing in some interval training at least 1 day a week.  To make a long story short I would love to keep tabs with you and share the experiences of training and competing again.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear from you

Rob

Paul Reese Memorial Clarksburg Country Run 5k November 14 2010 31:50

My First 5k Sacramento Ca Jan 2, 2011 31:12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points