Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1588 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2010 7:01 AM by Sailorunner RSS
vcwoodie Rookie 1 posts since
May 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2010 10:18 AM

Nervous - Anxiety - Nauseous

Hi there. I completed Cto5K a few weeks ago, and I am running generally 3 times a week for 35 or more minutes. I never was a runner or active in an land-based sport (was a competitive swimmer growing up), so this is all relatively new to me. I have attempted some 5Ks in the past and haven't been able to complete them without walking, so that is my current goal. I have trained longer and prepared better for my upcoming race, so I KNOW that I can finish without walking. I am a really slow runner, too - 12 1/2 to 13 minute miles. I am 33 years old with 3 kids age 6 and under.

My question/problem is this - now that I am not being "coached" by my running app or a program, I have become extremely nervous. The minute I start running, my stomach is in knots and I can hardly catch my breath. I know this feeling from the last 5K race I attempted, it basically panic. I have a few small things that make me nervous/anxious, like how slow I am, how I don't like to run in front of other people/in public because of my slowness and not-so-fit body, how I am worried about getting hit by a car (I run in the pre-dawn/dawn time), nervousness about race day, etc. But none of that should make me feel THIS nervous and nauseous, I feel. It is definitely affecting my enjoyment of running. I don't have a "plan" currently, I just try to run my 5K route (not quite doing the whole distance yet) and build my endurance.

Any tips on what to do? I do not want to spend all my runs in this anxious state! Plus I will probably throw up on race day if I am this nervous about it 3 weeks out!

• SamuelWanjiruFan Amateur 24 posts since
    Oct 12, 2010
    1. Oct 13, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to vcwoodie)
    Re: Nervous - Anxiety - Nauseous

Hi vcwoodie!

Glad to hear you managed to complete the C2K5 running plan. There are many people that dropped out of it. So you should be very proud of yourself. You shouldn't worry about your slowness.  Now that you are able to run 3 times a week over 35 minutes each, you've built up your endurance. You can start working on your speed.
    Do intervals, fartlek or tempo running(if you don't know these, google them).

Since you say you get nervous because you are no longer being coached, why not search the net for some other programs? I'm sure there are many of em, maybe try some 10K plan(keep in mind though, if the first week of that plan is way easier than your current running, skip the first weeks).
    Also, you shouldn't care what other people think of you. Heck, you don't even know what they think! Most of the runners are good mannered people, they know it's harder to run for people with no-so-fit body. Trust me, most of em don't even think about other runners when running. Even if they do, it's just for few seconds then everything passes by.
    You can also try going to a not so populated gym or go in times when there are less people(same goes for running outdoors).

As for running at dawn, there are 2 solutions. Don't run at dawn or change the place where you run.
    Race day nervousness... everyone has it, even top athletes Try not to think much about it and you'll do fine.

If you can't join them, beat them!

• Mom2Max Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 13, 2008
    2. Oct 13, 2010 2:07 PM (in response to vcwoodie)

Hi -

First - Congratulations on finishing C25k.  I'm just starting the program, did W2D1 today.  I don't think a 12-13 minute mile is a slow pace for a new runner at all.

I just found out about a woman named Carli who has podcasts, a blog & a website, www.runningintoshape.com.  Click on the StL 5k 2010 video on her home page, it's short but let's you see that there are many types of runners in a 5k.

Good luck!

Mom2Max

New runner

Started C25K on 10/7/10

Goal - Reindeer Romp 5K on 12/12/10

• Sailorunner Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010
    3. Oct 14, 2010 7:01 AM (in response to vcwoodie)

Hi VC.

Don't worry about this stuff.

Everyone out there is in one state of fitness or another.  Everyone working on his or her own progress or just enjoying being in the race.

I am about as slow as they get.  But, after I cross that finish line, I'm just another runner standing around drinking water and eating bagels and bananas.  Just like everyone else.

After the race, I feel a sense of comraderie with these other runners.  We have all just pushed ourselves to the limit and experienced a challenge together.  Now there is a sort of kinship amongst everyone. (not to mention a good runner's high).  That's why you see other runners cheering for people who finish later in the race.  You feel connected in a sense.  I also think it's the general exhilaration of watching someone push themselves to the max that makes us want to cheer.  The excitement of watching a personal achievement in someone's life right before our very eyes.

How often in your daily experience to you get to see someone pushing themselves to the limit and giving every ounce of energy to reach a goal?  It's something pretty impressive and really something special to witness.  (NOTE: YOU WILL BE ONE OF THESE IMPRESSIVE PEOPLE ON RACE DAY).

So, don't worry about all of the distractions.  Just go out, put some good tunes on your Ipod, relax and enjoy the people around you.  Take in the whole experience.

Sounds to me like you're already prepared to knock this one out if your doing 35 minutes 3 times per week.

Good Luck!  You'll do fine.

Just Keep Going......................

Grosse Pointe Rotary Run 10 K  1:10  9/18/10

Birmingham Lions Club 10 K  1:08      9/26/10

D Town River Run  10 K         1:11      10/10/10

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points