Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2924 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2010 10:17 AM by Surfing_Vol RSS
RunnerBlonde Amateur 11 posts since
Sep 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2010 9:24 AM

When to wear water belts?

Ok, I have a water belt with two water holders.  I am running a 10 mile trail run next month and I was wondering is that to short of a race to wear my belt?  I don't wanna look like a fool.  Any advice would be greatful.

Thanks,

Dawn

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 13, 2010 9:41 AM (in response to RunnerBlonde)
    Re: When to wear water belts?

If the course has sufficient water stations, you should be fine without it but I've learned in my races, it's easier to bring it with you in case you might need it and leave it in the car if you think there are enough.

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

• mandysneaks Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    2. Oct 13, 2010 3:53 PM (in response to RunnerBlonde)

I say it depends on the weather and your needs.

I just started long runs and generally bring my water belt if it's 8+ miles - otherwise, I use the water bubblers in the park. But if it's hot, sometimes I need water for a run as short as 4 miles.

I am running a half next month and plan to bring my own water belt, as those cups of water from the aid stations never seem to land in my mouth!

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 13, 2010 4:09 PM (in response to mandysneaks)

mandysneaks wrote:

I am running a half next month and plan to bring my own water belt, as those cups of water from the aid stations never seem to land in my mouth!

I always recommend to people to grab the water and walk to drink it and get back going.  You will only lose a few seconds that you might be able to make up with proper hydration.

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

Jan 15, 2010
    4. Oct 13, 2010 4:16 PM (in response to vcackerman)

vcackerman wrote:

mandysneaks wrote:

I always recommend to people to grab the water and walk to drink it and get back going.  You will only lose a few seconds that you might be able to make up with proper hydration.

As it's my first half, I'd rather stick to what I'm comfortable with on my long runs - which is wearing a hydration belt. I may switch this up for future halfs though!

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    5. Oct 13, 2010 6:05 PM (in response to RunnerBlonde)

Wear the belt!  I will never, ever go more than 8 miles without one again.  I ran my first half this past Sunday and only got to mile 10 before dehydrating.  I drank plenty the day before and that morning, and drank at all the hydration stations, but it still wasn't enough.  Everyone is different, but go with what you know about yourself.  I would say nearly half the field on Sunday had a hydration belt of some kind.  Boy, I sure will next time!

Good luck on your race and have fun!

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• caytie82 Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 12, 2010
    6. Oct 13, 2010 6:23 PM (in response to RunnerBlonde)

Wear it!  As others have said, this is an individual thing, and you have to do what you know works for you.  And if you're worried about looking silly, take heart!  Someone out there will almost surely look sillier than you!  And if you don't have it, and you find you need it, you'll FEEL silly, and that's worse than looking silly any day.  Good luck!

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    7. Oct 14, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to RunnerBlonde)

I've done 2 races with a camelpack (a 4.4 miler & a 5K), and it was so nice to have something to drink when I wanted it. Plus, I could take little sips as needed, rather than having to drink from a cup. The only drawbacks to the camelpack is that it is a little more weight, and the sloshing noise can be a little aggravating.

• Sailorunner Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010
    8. Oct 14, 2010 8:54 AM (in response to vcackerman)

I agree VC.

At the water stations, I have learned to stop and drink the water.  I may lose 10 seconds.  But, actually getting that water down is so important.  I used to try drinking it while I was running and found that it was so difficult (because I was breathing so hard) that I ended up almost inhaling the water or spilling it down the front of my shirt.

So, I recommend taking the extra few seconds and drinking it down!

Just Keep Going......................

Grosse Pointe Rotary Run 10 K  1:10  9/18/10

Birmingham Lions Club 10 K  1:08      9/26/10

D Town River Run  10 K         1:11      10/10/10

Jan 15, 2010
    9. Oct 14, 2010 8:56 AM (in response to caytie82)

caytie82 wrote:

Wear it!  As others have said, this is an individual thing, and you have to do what you know works for you.  And if you're worried about looking silly, take heart!  Someone out there will almost surely look sillier than you!  And if you don't have it, and you find you need it, you'll FEEL silly, and that's worse than looking silly any day.  Good luck!

Agreed! Looking silly while running is the last thing I worry about. Have you seen our spandex and flourescent jackets?

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    10. Oct 14, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to RunnerBlonde)

ABSOLUTELY WEAR IT.

I've run 4 trail races this year, and none has had water stations.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points