Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

64815 Views 310 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2011 11:45 AM by Skywalker88 RSS 1 2 3 ... 21 Previous Next
Skywalker88 Pro 70 posts since
Apr 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 14, 2010 8:34 PM

Weight loss buddies

Hi!

I saw this type of thread on multiple other websites and thought I would see if anyone here wanted to give it a go!

I am an off/ on again runner, and I would like to make running a part of my life routine. In addition to this I am working on losing weight. More specifically, in a way that does not involve dieting, and rather focuses on changing habits.

I have almost lost ten pounds in the past month and a half, and I am working on losing thirty more by the end of January (2011). In addition to this I have a whole list of physical goals I'd like to meet!

I'm hoping, that if there is any interest in this thread that we can become a support community for one another, and help each other maintain motivation for whatever goals we come here with.

I'd love to hear your stories, so please respond if this is something you are interested in!

9/6/2010-170 10/17/2010 -162 10/24/2010-158.75 10/28/2010-156 11/7/10-155 11/21/10-154.5 11/24/10 152.75 11/28/10-151 12/5/10 -151.5 12/11/10- 148 1/16/11-148 1/23/11-146.5 1/30/11- 145 2/20/11-144.5 1.1.13-163

Lost so far: 25.5 lbs

• mightymite1110 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    1. Oct 14, 2010 8:47 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Re: Weight loss buddies

I'm interested!  I started slow jogging last year around October and now getting back into it.  I'm currently doing the Bridge to 10K program.  I'm needing to lose weight...

I know my body is feeling better, but right now, I'm not seeing any weight loss...  I've started to go from eating everything and moving towards the more moderate eating habits.

I'd love to know what others are doing as far as a plan to take the weight off.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    3. Oct 15, 2010 4:35 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

OK- I am in!

Briefest background:

did the C25k program  last fall(2009)

i have kept running since then- gotta say  it has done little for me in the weight loss department

just finished a Half marathon on 10-10-10- pretty disappointing time AND somewhat of an injury

Decided I want to do more Half Marathons and MANY more 10K's- 10K is a better distance for me,long term

Anyhow-----decided next Half I do I want to be 30# lighter-and 30 minutes faster- it's my personal 30/30 challenge.

I lost 20 plus pounds several years ago on a variation of the southbeach diet- my opinion is that almost ANY "diet" will work- because the effect of the diet comes from being aware of what and how much you are eating.

I have kept the 20 plus pounds off- but there is no way I would  continue long term with the South Beach plan- I am much to bread oriented-and Bagels are such a convienient "runners food", LOL

Friend who runs triathalons- has done the Ironman in Hawaii- tells me it's  mostly about  portion controll- not so much WHAT- but how much

I have found in the past- if I concentrate on trying to eat around 8-10 WHOLE fruits and vegatables a day- the weight comes off- you really don't have much room to eat anything actually bad for you after pounding down 10 pieces of fruit a day

also- limiting myself to  no more than  one beer a week-as i have noticed a single beer somehow puts on a 3 pounds of weight

best of luck all- i will check back in soon

stephen

• Largo2288 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 15, 2010
    4. Oct 15, 2010 6:38 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

Greetings and thanks for the thread!

It would be nice to start a group of the biggest losers in the Key Largo area. I know that there are groups that charge fees but we have options in our community for those that cannot afford to pay these fees. We have a community park with lots of options from running, basketball, tennis, racquetball, volleyball, swimming and plenty of workout space. If we could form a group of participants who would meet on a regular basis for organized training, this would be huge for those that have no idea where to begin.

I work out at home on the stationary bike and tread and find that when I am outdoors, the workout is completely different.

I am in it for the wieght loss as well as getting in good shape.

Any takers?

Largo2288

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    5. Oct 15, 2010 7:59 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

Great idea!  I'm definitely in!

A bit of background about me: I am 43 (almost 44) and started running in May 2009. At that point, I had lost about 50 pounds, and wanted to lose anoth 40. I also chose running since I wanted to be able to keep up with my son (who will be 5 in November).  I haven't managed to lose that extra 40 pounds, butI have managed to lose about 10, but I've also built my stamina! I have run 4 races (3 were 5K, 1 was a 4.4 mile) and have another 5 K tomorrow, followed by a 10 K on October 30th. I am currently training to do my first half marathon in February, so I'll be doing 5 & 10 Ks between now and then.

I have tried pretty much every "diet" that is out there, with varying degrees of short-term success. I think that you have the right approach to look at it as a healthier lifestyle change, rather than just a diet. To me, diet indicates something that is temporary, which means that the weight loss will be temporary too.

I agree with Stephen -- it really isn't about what you eat, it's more a matter of how much. Obviously, we need to make sure that we get all of our protein, fats, etc., but I don't think that any food should be off-limits. I have found that writing down what I eat is very important -- otherwise, that handful of M&Ms becomes 2, which becomes 3, and then the whole bag!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Oct 16, 2010 5:07 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

My age and having hypothyroid makes it hard to lose weight. I started this weighing 195 since starting c25k and changing my eating habits I have now lost 17 pounds.

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Oct 16, 2010 5:14 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

I watched "How I lost a 100 pounds". There was one lady on there that I could relate to - Debby Daly. I pretty much go by what she does. I have a breakfast shake every morning M-F, I have 3 ounces of protein at lunch and 3 to 4 at dinner. I eat 2 apples everday and I drink a lot of water.

Dec 14, 2007
    12. Oct 16, 2010 11:07 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

When I graduate next week from C25k I will do 2 5ks, Turkey Trot in November, Reindeer Run in December. Deciding whether or not to do a half marathon in January. I plan to keep eating they way I have CLEAN and running 3 to 4 days a week and I walk on the others so I try to be active every day. I'm  42 and I'm a stay at home mom to 3 now,  my youngest is almost 2.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    13. Oct 16, 2010 1:15 PM (in response to Skywalker88)

skywalker,

I  don't plan to run another Half marathon untill next atumn---- so my 30/30 plan technically extends untill then.

however I want to run several  10k's through the spring and summer-so I would like to exit winter-say the last week of march-30# lighter

I have been pretty brutal with myself this week-so I am down 5# this week-so I guess it's now a 25/30 plan.

i know i can't  continue to  drop 5#/week- but averaging about 1#/week will get me where I want to go.

I do a lot of old house restoration-slate and tile roof work mostly now-and I am pretty busy with work the next 4 weeks or so- then my season ends. Last  fall/winter I did the C25K-and worked on making it part of my new life through the winter-either swimming or running  6 days /week.

I plan ,of course to continue with that this winter as well-but I feel that it  is already ingrained habit------------------ the dropping 30# is my big project for the winter.

stephen

• mightymite1110 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    14. Oct 16, 2010 3:45 PM (in response to Skywalker88)

Hi Skywalker88 -

I will definitely have to look into that Mayo Clinic that you mentioned...

As far as what I have tried - I did try diet pills (Hydroxycut) - this made me crazy... Seriously, I felt like I had roid rage...  It was insane..

As far as diets, I mostly work on my portion control.  I'm trying to get more fruits int my diet and water.  I have read just about every diet book out there, but for some strange reason, I've had a difficult time following it...  My downfall is definitely food - I love it.  I've had a hard time trying to give up certain foods because usually, by the 3rd or 4th day, I'm just going crazy...

As far as exercising, lately running has been my only form of exercise.  I'll go to the gym and hit the weights, elliptical trainer, and occassionally do the P90X (which I REALLY need to get back into).

I would love to lose 30lbs...  I've got about 5lbs already that keeps wavering - some weeks I've lost it, some weeks I gain 2 of the 5lbs back... So, I'm not sure what the deal is.... I truly need motivation regarding this part of getting healthy..

I would eventually like to do a 10K and half marathon.  Right now, I'm doing a running program called Bridge to 10K.

I'm looking forward to everyone's insight and tips.

1 2 3 ... 21 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points