Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1364 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2010 8:52 AM by runningman400 RSS
wjsmall Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2010 8:52 AM

Ankle tendonitis

Last Friday, when I got back from my run, my left ankle started hurting. Any weight-bearing activity caused it to hurt. There was minor swelling and no bruising. Foolishly, I ignored the problem for two days, then started to ice and elevate it. On Wednesday, when it was no better, I went to the doctor who diagnosed me as having tendonitis in the ankle (left ankle, outer part - I think it's the peroneal tendon. He prescribed me ibuprofen, which I take 3 times a day.

My question is - has anyone else had this and what was the recovery time? Is there anything I can do to speed recovery? I am currently wearing an "Ace bandage brace" - the sock kind. I am SO demoralized as I was training for a race at the beginning of November which I doubt I'll be able to do.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

• Chellemi Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    1. Oct 17, 2010 4:27 PM (in response to wjsmall)
    Re: Ankle tendonitis

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your ankle.  Are you still having pain with weight bearing? Tendinitis can be tricky to deal with--Pain must be your guide as you are recovering.  The inflammatory process MUST occur for healing to occur but there are some things you can do to "optimize" this process--most importantly pain needs to be your guide.  If you are having pain at rest or with initiating any movement, you are likely still in the acute inflammatory process where active healing is occurring.  There is no way to intervene this process.  Continue to ice and elevate--elevating your ankle so that it is at least straight out in front of you or if you can lie on your back with your butt up against the wall will decrease hydrostatic pressure and you can try to prevent additional swelling from occurring.  I would continue to keep a compression wrap on, just make sure that you are wrapping snuggly towards the end of your foot and loosening the wrap as you move towards your ankle--you don't want those toes getting puffy (although it doesn't sound like swelling was too much of an issue). 

Keep moving your ankle as long as it is not painful for you.  Write out the ABC's in upper/lower case with your ankle.  Ice, ibuprofen as needed (although in my opinion I think IBU is overprescribed; it can interfere with some of the "positive" processes of healing).  Search ankle 4-way strengthening on youtube for some good exercises that you can do with a theraband. Cambridge Health Alliance has some good videos for use.  Cross train to keep your fitness level up! 

This is pretty brief, hopefully you will find some use for it but if you are already to this stage and would like some additional advice, I'd be happy to contribute more!  (I'm an athletic trainer and injured runner myself so I can sympathize with many people on this blog!) 

Best,

M

• Chellemi Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    2. Oct 17, 2010 4:29 PM (in response to wjsmall)

Also, depending on the severity of your symptoms and how the healing process is going for you, I've seen people recover from this in about a week's time, but it can also linger for several weeks' time as well.  Try not to get too discouraged by that!

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    3. Oct 20, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to wjsmall)

I also have tendonitis very close to, if not in the same spot.  I developed mine from being a track sprinter and not doing enough "backwards" training, the combination of high speed and tight, constant left turns just burned my ankle up.

I hate to say this, but the pain goes away, but not permanently.  The pain can (and will) still come back if you put too much stress on it.  The only thing you can do to help move things along is R.I.C.E. and some sort of anti-inflammatory pain medicine.

Good luck, hang in there and keep your chin up!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points