Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2215 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2010 4:34 AM by gdsmit1
jrunyanallen Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2010 2:27 PM

How to do program if slower than 10 minute miles?

I am about to give this program a try, but it assumes that we run 10 minute miles.  I'm pretty slow - 12 minute miles - anyone have any thoughts on how to adapt the training times during the weeks?  Thanks in advance.

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009

I would just do whatever the distance is, even if it means that your workout session is longer. Good luck!

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009

Oh, and I personally don't consider a 12mm to be pretty slow -- I think that is a very good starting point!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

If you're talking about C25K, then you misunderstand.  It does NOT assume you do 10 minute miles.  The program is to run EITHER 30 minutes OR 3 miles - not necessarily that you run 3 miles in 30 minutes.

The reason they pick that time/distance is simply because it makes easy math and it is an average pace, not because all new runners can run a 10 minute mile. Too many people doing C25K get discouraged because they don't meet that arbitrary pace.  So choose whether your goal is the time or the distance.  If you are a slower runner, then you will probably want to go by time as you will reach the 30 minute goal before you reach the 3 mile goal (which would be 36 minutes at your pace).

Just walk/run the allotted minutes in the program and don't stress about distance for now.  Once you complete the program then you can start working on running faster and longer distances.  Make the program work for you at your fitness level.  One step at a time - you'll get there!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

First Congratulations for wanting to give this a try, I started 10 weeks ago and I go at my own pace, speed will come later.

• FJP Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007

I have done 11 marathons and 40+ half marathons. I do 16 minute miles. Speed doesn't matter. Time for endurance do. Even the month before a marathon, like NYC, I may do about two   3 hour "runs" about 4 weeks out and about 5 miles 4 days a week for 12-14 weeks before. I can't go any faster, but I always finish. Good luck.

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010

First, welcome and congrats on getting started.

As everyone else said, don't get hung up on the numbers.  Run the 60 seconds, or 3 minutes, or 20 minutes that are in the plan.  Don't worry about how far you went or how fast you ran.  Just finish your time.  The speed and distance will come with time.

If you try to push yourself to hit that 10 minute mile, you are more likely to hurt yourself.  If you hit a point where you are hurting, slow down.  In this program, that's the answer to just about every problem, slow down.

You can do this.  Just get out there and do it.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points