Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

809 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2010 4:04 PM by Chellemi
Chellemi Rookie 5 posts since
Feb 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2010 4:04 PM

Hip Stress Fracture--coping!

Hi Everyone,

I've always considered myself to be a runner but hadn't really entered any races or anything until late last year so I had been doing a lot more regular running this year since I was in high school (I'm 27). I ran in a team relay along the Cape this past May which was awesome--except that my stomach was unpleased with the end result!  Anyway, this summer, I started training for the Chicago Marathon and at the last minute decided to go back to school which required me to move halfway across the country.  High stress, poor diet, lagging in training all resulted in hip pain.  The week after Labor Day I knew I couldn't do the marathon.  I saw an MD--more for some continued stomach issues I'd been having--he didn't really give much attention to my hip and his suggestion was to work more on my core but that it wasn't anything that concerned him to go ahead and order x-rays.  Last week I sought the opinion of another doctor since I wasn't getting any better and he was immediately concerned with femoral stress fracture.  I had been getting motivated and seeing a trainer and working on building up my strength, and now I've been limited to doing as little physical activity as possible--no running, limited walking (if I have pain walking they will put me on crutches), nothing involving the lower extremity, period.  I have pain over my lateral hip, my groin, and glute.  It nags when I've been sitting for long periods, laying in bed, and after I've been on it for a while.  I spent last weekend walking all over Chicago to cheer on my friends who were actually running and I was SORE after that! 

Anyway, I got x-rays last week, and will likely be getting an MRI soon. 

I'm here seeking advice on how I can stay motivated.  Running has become a part of my life that I'm not ready to give up.  I have my Chicago bib number hanging up on my mirror to try to keep me motivated once I get healthy to start hitting the pavement again. 

I'm frustrated, I've turned to comfort food way too heavily in the past week (I can feel it already, ugh), and have already lost motivation to keep up my appointments with my trainer since I've become so limited in what I can do (I will likely keep those, however!).

Any suggestions as to things I can do (yoga? core?) to keep my heart rate up, nutritional suggestions (ANYTHING here, this is where I am at my worst) that anyone would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.  I'm going to speak with my trainer to come up with some alternatives as well--he's fantastic so I think he can be of some help as well. 

Thanks,

M

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...