Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3038 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2008 3:18 PM by saraallent 1 2 Previous Next
Stevie Ray Lopez Pro 500 posts since
Dec 3, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 19, 2007 7:16 PM

So are there moderators, or what?

There must be moderators.  I've seen a few "Active" people pop in, and I know at least one person has been banned in the CH.

However, I've also seen it written elsewhere by a CR mod that she was asked to remain a moderator... but no further communication was given and she has no moderator tools to actually moderate with.

So.  You shipped a community site without setting up mods or setting expectations?

I don't really believe this, but I think the community has a right to know who the moderators ARE and what the expectations really are.

And the mods themselves sure as shoot deserve that same kindness.

Please don't post the stock reply that transitions are bumpy.  Got that already.  But a community where the mods don't even know how to be a mod?  And have no mod tools???

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    1. Dec 19, 2007 7:54 PM (in response to Stevie Ray Lopez)
    Re: So are there moderators, or what?

Hey. We definitely have moderators. You will actually have the same moderators you had before. We've been communicating with them and opened up the Cool Running section on Active for them to test out for a couple weeks before the migration. They should be around...I don't know many of their usernames yet since we've communicated with them through email. They are around though and if they aren't all here yet...they will be shortly.

• Iontach Rookie 1,340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 20, 2007 3:41 PM (in response to saraallent)

Active Sara wrote:

I don't know many of their usernames yet since we've communicated with them through email.

I'm sorry, Sara, but this strikes me as very odd.  Anyone who can use Google can find out the usernames of the existing moderators.

The OP's point isn't so much about the previous moderators.  It's about who is moderating the site now.  One Active person had the courtesy to come into a thread like this one in the Clubhouse and introduce himself, tell us a bit about himself and so on - the rest of his colleagues have been noticeable only for their on-the-fly intervention.

Several days after your new site went live, and after many requests for the information, you - meaning Active - have not provided even a list of those moderating.  A list would not, in fact, be sufficient.  Email addresses for each should be provided.  I, for one, would prefer to use email to communicate with a moderator, rather than PM on this site, since I would then have a record of the correspondence. 

I look forward to your response.  I do not wish to hear that you are working hard; I do not wish to hear that that there will be new and improved features; I do not want to hear that Active cares about my concerns.  I wish to know who is in charge of a site I post to - standard procedure at every other forum I have ever visited - and I would like to know how to get in touch with them.  

Frankly, I do not think that this is too much to ask.

Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 21, 2007 8:14 AM (in response to Iontach)

Bumping this, because I would appreciate an answer.

• MrPHinNJ Amateur 139 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    5. Dec 21, 2007 11:12 AM (in response to Iontach)

It appears that the folks from Active are MIA today ... little, if any, communication from them.  Too bad, I had thought that they were coming around.

• Geoff Skow Active Trainer Active.com Staff 62 posts since
    May 4, 2007
    6. Dec 24, 2007 11:38 AM (in response to Iontach)

Hi Iontach,

Apologies for the slow response time...below is the list of current Cool Running moderators. To answer one of your questions, we weren't able to add moderator permissions until after each mod had logged in with their new Active Network account information. I will create and post a Document with the information below, including the status and email address of each mod soon.

Hope you are enjoying the holidays.

Thanks,

Geoff

Cool Running Message Boards Moderators

Username - Message Boards

Liam - Basic Training

Hup - Run and Race Reports

Sue - Mainstream Racing

Centipede - centipede

Prefontaine - Way Cool Running

Scorch99 - The Neighborhood

TriBob - Multisport Training

CoachB - The Track

jcumming - Newbie Cafe

NoRacer - The Med Tent

Jim Sullivan - Clubhouse

hally - Boomers and Beyond

crunningman - Run and Race Reports

Novia - Just Running

Leezle - Carbo Canteen

kei - Runscore

Alan L Jones - Runscore

Warrior1971 - Mainstream Racing

RunMommaRun - Athena and Clydesdale

gallowayproductions - JeffGalloway

Currenscontendere - The Competitive Wire

pmcneb - Athena and Clydesdale

Crazy1 - Way Cool Running

luv2runTampa - JeffGalloway

Sherri1062 - JeffGalloway

Fleet Feet Mahwah - JeffGalloway

Dec 14, 2007

Geoff, as I pointed out, anyone who can use Google can find out who the CR moderators were.  Copying and pasting a list of people who used to moderate on a site that is now closed down is not an answer to the question I asked.  Giving a list of historical information is useless, particularly

since at least one of the names on it is not the Active name of the

person involved.

What I asked, and what I have repeatedly asked in a number of threads since this section of Active went live, is who is moderating the forums now.   It is clear that there has been moderation going on, and Active has not had the courtesy to tell us who is doing it.  Since members of your organisation are moderating, those are the names and email addresses that we should be made aware of.  If they are subsequently replaced by people who used to do the job before, then you can update the information.

I am truly puzzled - is this request really so difficult to understand?

May 4, 2007
    8. Jan 2, 2008 10:57 AM (in response to Iontach)

Hi Iontach,

A list of current moderators, including new Screen Name, primary forum(s) covered and updated email address, can be found here:

http://community.active.com/docs/DOC-1643

This list will be updated on a regular basis.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,

Geoff

Dec 14, 2007

Thank you for your response, Geoff.

It is, however, risible.  Surely you cannot mean that that the only way for a member to find out who is moderating the forums is to come in here, find this thread and click on a link to open a Word document that you created today, twelve days after I asked in this thread?

This is incompetence beyond anything that I have seen so far.  The CR community were led to believe in threads like this or this that moderation was important to Active, but it seems now that chief among the improved moderation tools was complete invisibility.  I was clearly naive to expect visible and responsible moderation, since a quick check of other Active communities reveals no relevant information either.  However, it cannot have come as a surprise to you that moderation was taken seriously at CR, because Liam's post about as moderator of Basic Training drew your attention to it on August 25th of last year.

You appear to think that I made my request because I wanted to get in touch with a moderator.  I have been a member of CR for some years, I have with reasonable frequency contacted several of them and I know their addresses.  My request for the information was on behalf of the entire Active/Cool Running community, as was Stevie Ray Lopez's OP.  You do not seem to have grasped this.

All of this would be hilarious if it weren't so incompetent.

May 4, 2007
    10. Jan 3, 2008 4:47 PM (in response to Iontach)

Hi Iontach,

The moderator contact list, which will be updated on a regular basis, is now linked to from the new Browse Cool Running dropdown menu that you'll find in the gray bar below the CR main navigation. That we didn't have this list prepared at the time of transition or shortly thereafter was a mistake.

Please do not take this mistake as proof that we are disinterested in the level of moderation on these forums. On the contrary, our plan from the start was (and still is) to 1) welcome the great CR moderators with open arms, and 2) work closely with them to ensure that we do everything we can on our end to deliver the kind of forums you deserve. The chance to learn from the best and to apply the skills that CR mods have developed is a huge part of our long-term plans.

Now that the dust has begun to settle, the holidays are over and we've established more frequent and direct contact with the "old" (and even some new) moderators, I think you'll be pleased with the level of moderation on these forums moving forward.

Thanks,

Geoff

Dec 14, 2007
    gskow wrote:

Hi Iontach,

The moderator contact list, which will be updated on a regular basis, is now linked to from the new Browse Cool Running dropdown menu that you'll find in the gray bar below the CR main navigation. That we didn't have this list prepared at the time of transition or shortly thereafter was a mistake.

Thanks,

Geoff

I just did.  What one gets is:

System Error

• The specified community does not exist

I suppose it doesn't. 

It took weeks of insistence to get a list, which was clearly cobbled together at the last moment, and then the list disappears.  It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that Active is uninterested in moderation.  The dust has indeed settled.

• baltra Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    13. Feb 4, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to Iontach)

Wow, I've been away from Coolrunning for at least a year, and came back to look up old friends and see what is going on.

IIn the 3 minutes I've been a member of this community, I've searched for and not found who the moderators are. Yikes!

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    14. Feb 4, 2008 1:17 PM (in response to baltra)

Thanks for addressing this issue. I am working to fix the link now. In the meantime here is a current list of moderators for the CR community.

Current list of moderators:

TriBob - Multisport Training

jcumming - Newbie Cafe

Jim Sullivan032, Sully00 - Clubhouse

hally - Boomers and Beyond, Clubhouse

Novia - Just Running

RunMommaRun - Athena and Clydesdale

Michael. - Newbies

juststarted - Newbies

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...