Skip navigation

2127 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2010 12:13 PM by Frank_B RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 8, 2010 9:16 AM

LL Volunteer Application 2011---changes

Social Security number-"optional,mandatory upon request" in 2010-will be mandatory in 2011.

Newly ADDED question:

"Are there any criminal charges pending against you regarding any crime(s) involving or against a minor? Yes or No.

If yes, describe each in full:__________

Frank!

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Oct 8, 2010 2:20 PM (in response to Frank_B)
    Re: LL Volunteer Application 2011---changes

Are there any criminal charges pending against you

You may not know.

Borders on "presumed guilty".

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    2. Oct 9, 2010 1:07 PM (in response to Manny_A)

You may not know.

Borders on "presumed guilty".

Uh-ohh....Whadja do?

Time wounds all heels.....

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Oct 11, 2010 4:04 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Social Security number-"optional,mandatory upon request" in 2010-will be mandatory in 2011.</b>

I wonder why.  There's no reason in my mind where a form that many leagues don't bother to secure properly should have social security numbers on them.  If a quick check of a volunteer comes up questionable, then they can request his/her number for a more thorough check (assuming that's why the number is needed).

• NA_Umpires Community Moderator 350 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Oct 11, 2010 4:25 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

My understanding is the background check provider LL uses returns all "hits" BY NAME AND STATE ONLY - so that the Personnel Officer has to wade through MANY "hits" for "popular" names.

It was that way a couple of years ago - it may have changed since.

We had to wrestle with this as a Board of Directors -- and the Personnel Officer needed help to sort all this out because it was OVERWHELMING - one guy (a Board Member) had SEVERAL HUNDRED hits on his name, and some of them were from one of the 10 or so states he's lived in or gone to school in since he's been 18 ! None of them were him, of course, but we had the legal and fiduciary obligation to chase all of this down.

Not good - more people than should have were privy to the information just so we could share the workload. OK, sure, they were Board Members, but still, you should minimize the number of people who have access to this information.

NABCLL VP 13-18 Baseball, Umpire-in-Chief http://www.nayouthbaseball.org
    NAVYU (youth umpires) - http://eteamz.active.com/naumpires

Merrimack Valley Umpires Association Board of Directors - http://www.mvua.org

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Oct 12, 2010 6:32 AM (in response to NA_Umpires)

My understanding is the background check provider LL uses returns all "hits" BY NAME AND STATE ONLY - so that the Personnel Officer has to wade through MANY "hits" for "popular" names.

True.

I was told that many/most/all Background Check companies have the same problem, if they don't use SSNs.

In fact, "rumor has it" that several Background Check companies have been "sued" by people who have had to "fight" incorrect background check results.

As such, most (if not all) are now requiring SSNs, which is probably why LL now requires SSNs (LexisNexis probably now requires it).

Maybe someone should call Dan Kirby in Williamsport !!!   ;o)

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Oct 12, 2010 6:57 AM (in response to Frank_B)

So you're in the "presumed guilty" camp?

And what if the individual doesn't know?

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Oct 12, 2010 2:35 PM (in response to Manny_A)

Maybe someone should call Dan Kirby in Williamsport !!!   ;o)

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. Oct 13, 2010 3:17 AM (in response to Lou_B)

Understand.  But then require the people whose names return hits to give their SSNs at that point.  Collecting the SSNs for every volunteer that fills out a form is problematic.  In fact, some volunteers may decide not to serve the league in that capacity if they have to divulge their SSNs.  That's why LL decided not to make it mandatory in the first place.

The Department of Defense where I work (and probably all other federal departments and agencies) takes the collection of private information, especially the SSN, very seriously.  I'm not going to spell out the details because I don't have them memorized, but I do know that any person who collects that information must abide by the Privacy Act of 1974 when it comes to that record-keeping.  I realize that LL doesn't fall under the Privacy Act since it's not a federal agency.  But suffice it to say that many won't appreciate having their volunteer form with their SSNs on it in a desk drawer of the league's concession stand.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Oct 14, 2010 10:26 AM (in response to Frank_B)

LL Response to e:Mail asking why SSN is "mandatory" on 2011 Volunteer App:

+LexisNexis is now requiring a SS# to do Background check. Jim

James Ferguson

Director of Security

Assistant Director of Risk Management

Little League International

Baseball and Softball

539 U.S. Route 15 Highway

P.O.Box 3485

Williamsport,PA 17701

jferguson@littleleague.org

570-326-1921 Ext.212 Fax570-326-9280+

My reply back:

So, if a league only does the "required" check of the NSOR, which does not require a SSN, can the league not require the SSN on the Volunteer Application?

No answer from LL yet !!!

• Chalkline Legend 543 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    13. Oct 14, 2010 1:12 PM (in response to Lou_B)

Dont know about all the Depts. of uncle sam? but before going to a employee ID# that is in use now, they use to only show the last 4# of ones SSN. Before that your hole SSN was used.

If your local leagues want to start stamping 666 on your foreheads...RUN!

Just saying...imo use someother means.

Identity theft

Many citizens and privacy advocates are concerned about the disclosure and processing of Social Security numbers. Furthermore, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University have demonstrated an algorithm which uses publicly available personal information to reconstruct a given SSN.[20]

The SSN is frequently used by those involved in identity theft, since it is interconnected with so many other forms of identification, and because people asking for it treat it as an authenticator. The SSN is generally required by financial institutions to set up bank accounts, credit cards, and obtain loans, partially because it is assumed that no one except the person to whom it was issued will know it.

Exacerbating the problem of using the social security number as an identifier is the fact that the social security card contains no biometric identifiers of any sort, making it essentially impossible to tell whether a person using a certain SSN is truly the person to whom it was issued without relying on some other means of documentation (which may itself have been falsely procured through use of the fraudulent SSN). Congress has proposed federal laws that will restrict the use of SSNs for identification and ban their use for a number of commercial purposes, e.g. rental applications.[21]

The IRS offers alternatives to SSNs in some places where providing untrusted parties with identification numbers is essential. Tax preparers can acquire a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) to include on their client's tax returns (as part of signature requirements). Day care services have tax benefits, and even a sole proprietor should give parents an EIN (employer identification number) to use on their tax return.

The Social Security Administration has suggested that, if asked to provide his or her Social Security number, a citizen should ask which law requires its use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8ftRFb2Ac

• Chalkline Legend 543 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    14. Oct 14, 2010 4:54 PM (in response to Frank_B)

"LexisNexis is now requiring a SS# to do Background check. Jim"

And this is why SSN is "mandatory" on 2011 Volunteer App:????

On March 9, 2005 LexisNexis announced the possible theft of personal information of some Seisint users. It was originally estimated that 32,000 users were affected,[12] but that number greatly increased to over 310,000.

Again? just saying?

The Social Security Administration has suggested that, if asked to provide his or her Social Security number, a citizen should ask which law requires its use.

Ask LexisNexis that.

!http://i56.tinypic.com/20uwsux.jpg|alt=Image and video hosting by TinyPic|src=http://i56.tinypic.com/20uwsux.jpg|border=0!

CHALK SCORES

You wouldn't know if LexisNexis is hiring? would you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LexisNexis

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...