Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6874 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2008 4:00 PM by SpeedyMe RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
SandraDee041 Rookie 194 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2007 8:22 AM

Anybody run during their lunch break?

I would really like to go out and run during my lunch break at work but I know I would look like hell upon my return and all the changing of clothes would get annoying.

Does it work for anybody?

• Rich Mac Rookie 235 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Nov 21, 2007 8:25 AM (in response to SandraDee041)
    Re: Anybody run during their lunch break?

I used to do 5-6 miles at lunch on most days.... well up until I got me a colbalt chromium hip 

• luckylily Rookie 242 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 21, 2007 8:27 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

I used to, when i worked somewhere with a shower. I could never manage more than about 4 miles on a lunch break and still catch a shower though.

• Blisters Rookie 38 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    3. Nov 21, 2007 8:29 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

I do it on occasion.  More so in the winter when some mornings can be too cold for me.  I don't like it so much, though.  Coming back all sweaty, showering, squeezing in the actual eating of lunch.  It's a drag.  Not to mention that some days I plan to run but work gets so busy that it just never happens.

• anaphase081 Rookie 56 posts since
    Nov 4, 2002
    5. Nov 21, 2007 8:31 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

I did last year and the year before. It was a really nice break in the middle of the day, and way better than running in the dark. You should totally do it. 

• Shy girl Rookie 64 posts since
    Apr 7, 2006
    6. Nov 21, 2007 8:32 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

I think it mostly only works out for guys who can walk through a shower and slightly pause while soap is applied and look all neat in clean in about 5 minutes flat.  

• Currently Being Moderated
    7. Nov 21, 2007 8:32 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

I used to.  There was a hotel next to the office building that would let us use shower facilities, etc.

• techgirl321 Rookie 83 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Nov 21, 2007 8:33 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

Id really love to be able to do this through the winter, but we also do not have a shower...not sure I could get away with being sweaty for the rest of the day...

• HDH Amateur 332 posts since
    Aug 19, 2007
    9. Nov 21, 2007 8:38 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

luckily, there is shower at work and a boss who does not know when I am gone.  I've done 16 mile runs during "lunch".  The Male Pattern Baldness helps with the post-run hair issue.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Nov 21, 2007 8:40 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

When my mileage was lower, I could crank out a quick 4 miles and still have time to take a Tijuana shower, change and eat within my alotted hour.

It's not my preferance, but every now and then if I miss a run, I'll do a short run during lunch.

• 770 Rookie 297 posts since
    Jul 22, 2006
    11. Nov 21, 2007 8:42 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

A new lifetime fitness gym has opened very close to me.  So I'm contemplating using them for my lunch workouts.  I can take 1 and 1/2 hour lunch breaks due to my work schedule so I don't have an issue of having to really hurry.

I've avoided lunch time workouts at LA Fitness because I don't like their showers and always feel like an exhibitionist.  But the showers at Lifetime have glass doors and and are somewhat more discreet.  Plus Lifetime furnished towels so I'm contemplating it.  I think I can get 6 to 7 miles in outside or on the treadmills during inclement weather.

• rlemert Pro 250 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Nov 21, 2007 9:05 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

My job is fairly flexible (a lot of my co-workers frequently work from home, in fact), so I'm not stuck with trying to get my runs in during a narrow window of time. We also have a shower in the office so post-run clean up is no problem. (Well ... except for the fact that the cleaning lady can't hear the shower running ....) We also have a nice 5k loop around the complex with options for shorter cut-offs. As a result, most of my weekday runs are at the office at lunch.

The lack of shower facilities doesn't have to be a major problem. Take a wash cloth with you, dampen it, and wipe down. That should get you through the afternoon without offending too many people. (Of course, doing this will be awkward enough.) The hair might be a bigger problem, though. Maybe find a 'free' style that doesn't show run effects. (For me there's no problem - I don't do a lot with my hair when I don't run.

• wyrillco Rookie 298 posts since
    Oct 3, 2007
    14. Nov 21, 2007 9:06 AM (in response to SandraDee041)

quote:

Originally posted by luckylily:

I used to, when i worked somewhere with a shower. I could never manage more than about 4 miles on a lunch break and still catch a shower though.

I am actually hoping to get to the rec center today to run at lunch. It was too cold and snowy this morning to go to the gym (my warm bed was too inviting).

I run outside at lunch sometimes, and I have a shower.  If I didn't have a shower, no way.  I sweat too much.  And 3-4 miles is about right, given my pokiness.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...