Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2032 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2010 7:45 AM by Surfing_Vol RSS
EnriquePasos Rookie 6 posts since
Sep 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2010 9:06 PM

Strategy for a Hilly 10K?

Hi!

I'm giong to be running a very hilly 10K and I'm not sure how I should approach it from a pace perspective.  I could use some advice.

I've run flat 10K's and can average around 7:50min/mile.  This race has 3 very steep hills spaced out about 1 mile apart starting at mile 1 and some small rolling hills in between.  The first hill is small, just 100ft elev change and I can take it fairly easy.  The second hill is steep and long, about 200 ft in elev change and I significantly slow down.  The third one is also 200ft but much steeper and I sometimes have to walk near the top to make it over.

I've run the course a few times as training runs, but never really at race effort.  I was thinking of trying to stay near 10K pace on flats, take the hills easy, and go down the hills as fast as I can take them.

Any advice or suggestions??

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Oct 22, 2010 5:35 AM (in response to EnriquePasos)
    Re: Strategy for a Hilly 10K?

I live in a hilly neighborhood, so even an easy training day involves altitude changes of at least 200 feet.  I train specifically, so that some days I am taking the hills while trying to maintain pace.  That said, I'm not going to give myself a heartattack trying to run a steep hill while maintaining pace.  Based on this  and race experience (don't judge recent times -- I used to be a lot fitter and a lot faster),  my recommendation is to take the hills by trying to keep your exertion constant -- slow down as necessary while running the hills, and save your energy for after you are past the hills (of course you're free to run faster downhill).  If you're finished with the hills by the fourth mile or so, you should have plenty of juice left to pick up the pace through the finish.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Oct 22, 2010 5:58 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

SV is right on this, keep your exertion level constant.  Your level of effort should be the same throughout the race, and your pace should change to match your efford.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    4. Oct 26, 2010 7:45 AM (in response to EnriquePasos)

Nothing wrong with walking (or crawling -- been there, done that) a steep incline.  We need a better word than "hill" to describe something that steep.  "Cliff" sounds like a straight drop.  "Steep vertical ascent" sounds like a mountain-climber term.

Congratulations on the time!

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points