Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59138 Views 249 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 8:23 AM by PaintingLady RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Previous Next
  • ChipperT Pro 101 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Nov 27, 2010 9:44 AM (in response to coolbikermom)
    Re: 50 and over, 5k and beyond - Race Reports

Last Friday I started coming down with a tremendous cold.  Very unusual for me, as I am usually cold-resistant and have not had one this bad in many years.  I stayed home from work for two days, but that was partly because of the snow and cold weather we suddenly got hammered with.  On Thanksgiving morning I was determined to run the Turky Trot 5K even though I felt only about 50% recovered from my cold and had not run in over a week.  I joined nearly 1,000 of my closest unknown friends early in the morning in the cold and snow showers (fortunately the roads were cleared).  The course, which I had never run before, was extremely hilly and it seem mostly uphill!  I overdressed for the occasion and with all that, I was set to go!  The first half mile I wondered why I had so foolishly decided to run this thing in my physical condition, but then I settled into a pace and actually began to enjoy the run, the day and the scenery.  That is, until THE HILL.  The last half mile was up, up, up. I think we must have gained several thousand feet in altitude in that last half mile.  I saw a crow by the side of the road with an oxygen mask and swear that an orbiting satellite whizzed by me just over my head!    All my body yelled STOP!!! and I walked up that dastardly hill, along with it seemed most everyone else.  The last hundred yards was downhill to the finish and so I crested the hill at a run (well, really a shamble) and crossed the finish line on autopilot.  Some cute teenage high school age girl had to help this old man untie his shoe to free the timing chip.  But I SURVIVED!  My time was not my best, of course.  It was 32:58 for a 10:37 pace. Finished 13 out of 16 in my age group and 251 out of 532 males.   But I finished and am very proud of myself.  Now, next race is a Santa Run 10K Relay (2 X 5K with one of my 4-H club members as my team mate).  Can't Wait!

"What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate." - John Bingham
    --------

C25K Graduation Run - 6/6/10 - 38:18
    Crimestoppers 5K - 8/1/10 - 33:15
    Goldfish Grab 5K - 8/13/10 - 31:51
    Demolay 5K - 10/16/10 - 29:39! (broke 10mm)
    Black Cat 5 Mile - 10/23/10 - 50:32
    Turn Back The Clock 10K - 11/07/2010 - 1:05:22 (first 10K!)
    Turkey Trot 5K - 11/25/10 - 32:58
    Santa Run 10K Relay - 12/18/10 - 1:01:34 / my leg: 30:13:57
    Jingle Bell 5K Fun Run - 12/24/10 - 29:16:34
    Run For the Heroes 10K - 1/1/11 - 1:05:13
    Geoduck Gallop 10K - 1/30/11 - 59:27:47 (Personal Best)
    Titlow Park Mud Run 5K - 3/30/11 - 30:38:00
    Sound to Narrows 12K - 06/11/11 - 1:20:35
    City Blast 10K- 07/04//11 - 1:03:11
    Enumclaw Street Fair 5K - 07/23/2011 - 28:39:11

Tacoma Narrows 1/2 Marathon - 08/06/11 - 2:28:01 (first 1/2 Marathon!)

Parkland Race or Pace 5K - 09/03/11 - 28:11:59 (Personal best)

Run Wild 8K at Northwest Trek - 10/08/11 - 50:13 (Personal best)

Black Cat 5 Mile - 10/22/11 - 50:23

Turn Back The Clock 10K - 11/06/11 - 1:00:28
    Lynch Creek 5K - 4/07/2012 - 32:38:60

• hike2run Expert 40 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    91. Nov 28, 2010 5:20 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

Well ran my first 5k race on a very blustery and cold Saturday Morning. The staging area was inside a church, which was good since there where 40 mph winds outside. I drove the course in my car previously so I would have a strategy set in my head for the race. But mostly I just wanted to have a good time. My three goals where 1) to finish and have fun 2) to finish in 45 min 3) to finish in 40 min and have a 13 mm pace would be awesome. I am only at the beginning of week 7 C25k.

The beginning of the course is where I would have the best time, I would be fresh, it was mostly flat and a nice little downhill at the end. Well that didn't work out at all. The first mile was also attached to a nice farm and the wind was whipping right across the fields and into our faces. The wind took your breath away.  My muscles where so cold it took a full mile for them to warm up so I could do more than a trot. My first mile split time by the clock was 12:48. I did manage a pretty good run down that last little part, then came the hill. Like ClipperT it was a doosy. I knew ahead I was going to be walking that hill and I did, again the wind was real bad here.

Once I got past that hill the rest of the race went pretty well. There where no markers at mile 2, so I wasn't sure how I was doing. But now that I was out of the wind I was having a good time even in the cold. I started passing some of the racers that had been doing intervals in that wind like I was. There was a pair of daughters that kept running back to encourage their mom on, when they passed me going backwards on the course for the second time I told them they where awesome and their Mom was lucky to have them!

All of a sudden I realized I was at the last left turn! I cranked up the music "Burning down the house" by Talking Heads. I was psyched to finish! Took one more 30 sec walk then sprinted to the end! Everyone was around the finish shoot cheering us on.

I was so caught up in the moment and out of breath I forgot to stop my chronograph watch! I wasn't sure what my time was, but I didn't care I finished and I felt great!

Went inside and had some food and water and they started posting results. I finished 164 out of 267. Then they brought in the tape with the times....

36:47 I had beat all my goals!!  ok I'm hooked.

ps my nine year old son ran with me, his first race too. He was going to run the kids fun race but I convinced him to try the 5k since he had been training with me. He left me in the dust. His finish time was 32:32 and he took 2nd place in his age group! I was so proud of him. He trained half as hard as I did and kicked butt. Aghh youth...

Hike2Run

11/27/10 First 5k Habitat for Humanity 36:47

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    93. Nov 28, 2010 6:41 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

Hello everyone!

It sounds like everyone had a very good Turkey Day ............ and some of us even more generous to run in an event to benefit a local community project/organization.  That is my "tradition" each year.

So my 13 yr old niece participated in the annual New Balance 'Girls on the Run' 5k event November 20.  It is an untimed event but we set our stop watch anyway; it was not as organized as it should have been, particularly the volunteers who are suppose to direct the runners on the TRAIL course; a few of us in the front had to turn around a couple of times as the volunteers were confused!!

Anyway, my niece finished around 32 minutes and I finished around 25 minutes counting the couple of times we had to turn around.  It was chilly and windy on the trail course which kicked up some dust, making it kinda difficult to breathe.  I haven't run a 5k in a few years but I used this as a training run for speed.  I slowed down a few times to encourage my niece who was having problems with her ankle but she kept going!! What a troooper!

We just returned from Phoenix this afternoon to N. AZ where it has been SNOWING for most of the last three days; roads are all snowpacked resulting in traffic on I-17 and I-40 slowing to a crawl!! YAY!! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!! 

Our race was on Turkey day in Phoenix which benefits a local food pantry.  My niece ran the 5K while I ran the 10 miler.  For Phoenix, it was pretty chilly in the morning, around 40 degrees and breezy with overcast skies!

My race began at 8 am and my niece at 8:15 am.  It was a festive day despite no vendors or glitz as compared to other races as most of the fees were for the food pantry, and some of the runners donated an unwrapped toy as well.

It was a timed event as many are training for the upcoming P.F. Chang Rock n Roll marthon & half marathon in January.

The course goes through a 'park' and is pretty flat, couple of inclines and mostly road with about 1/2 mile dirt/gravel along an irrigation canal. I felt good and ready and hoped to finish somewhere close or better that my last 10 miler a couple of weeks ago.

I decided to take my walk breaks at mile 3 and again at mile 6 and none after that.  I increased my pace at mile 8 and started gaining on a quite a few of the runners who started out in front of me.  I paced a couple of guys until about 9.5 miles then I kicked into higher gear.  I had my eye on one other runner who saw me gaining on him and he sped up and we raced to the finish line.  It was great!!  He came over and told me he was glad he had a challenge but I probably would have beat him if the finish line was a few more yards.  I know I would have! haha!!

It was still chilly but most of the runners stuck around for the results and for the awards .............. they gave a pie to each of the top three winners in each age category!!  How creative and practical is that!?!  LOVE IT!!

I knew I did well but was not sure of my official time.

Anyway, I got FIRST place in my age category with a fiinish time of 1:23!!!  I actually cut down about 3 minutes from the previous 10 miler race (1:26) a couple of weeks ago!! I was elated!!  Got a cherry pie out of it!!  LOL!!

The overall winner finished in 52 minutes!!  Unbelievable!!

So I decided to stay the weekend in Phoenix to get a long run in on Saturday.  I went on a hike on Friday and ran a 15 mile run yesterday on some trails which the 'locals' use for hiking and mountain biking!!  There were three 'mountains' and I ran around, and up to the summit and back down on all THREE of them!!  It was incredible and I was amazed at myself for doing all of them ............ as I stood by my car afterwards!!  

I was soooo looking forward to my massage which I scheduled for today!!  What an invigorating feeling; my muslces/joints feel somewhat 'tender', more to 'overworking' them in three days, but overall, nothing 'hurts'! I feel great!!

My next race will be a 25K outside of Phoenix on December 11th.  The best part of this is it's a TRAIL course!  YIPPEE!!

Trail runner

• PJ Freeman Pro 115 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009
    94. Nov 28, 2010 7:02 PM (in response to az2mn)

ChipperT - Congratulations on surving and enjoying your 5K (so sorry you were sick).  I enjoyed your storytelling.

Hike2Run - I am freezing just reading about the wind and cold!  Congratulations to you and your son on your times.  It's awesome that you could do it together.

Di - it's so cool that you get to share running with your niece.  Congratulations on your first place and new PR.

2010 Coronado Independence Day 5K - 40:12

2010 AFC 5K - August 15 - 37:32

2010 End of Summer Fire Run 4mi- August 29 - 49:55

2010 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Relay - October 2 - 57:12

2010 Shelter Island 5K - November 7 - 36:20 PR

2010 Silver Strand Half Marathon - November 14 - 3:14:05

2010 Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon - December 5 - 2:58:35

2010 Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis - December 11 - 37:28

2011 Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 10K - February 13 - 1:25:46

2011 Lost Dutchman 10K - February 20 - 1:19:11

2011 Saint Patrick's Day 10K - March 12 - 1:13:48 PR

2011 Carlsbad 5000 - April 3 - 34:30 PR

2011 Rock & Roll San Diego HM - June 5 - 2:51:54 PR

2011 Coronado Independence Day 5K - July 4 - 35:34

2011 America's Finest City 5 K- August 21 - 34:40

UPCOMING

2011 Rock & Roll Los Angeles - October 30

2012 Disneyland Tinkerbell Half - January 29

• torunagn Legend 325 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    95. Nov 28, 2010 7:40 PM (in response to az2mn)

ChipperT - congratulations on your race - those sound like some really fierce hills.

Hike2Run - you really nailed your goals - and then some!  Especially with such strong winds.

Di2079 - congratulations on some great finish times.  You are putting in some serious mileage.

I finally ran my first 5K race since mid-August today.  I have been kind of slacking lately.  Running a few times a week, but more because I feel I should than because I want to.  I think that's partly because I have been having a lot of pain in my feet and ankles and partly because I just haven't - lacking motivation, or focus, or something, I guess.  Then again, I was doing a lot of cycling, but cycling season is over in this area for now.  I did a local 5K today that was run in conjunction with a 10K.  Between the two races, there were about 800 participants with about 550 in the 5K.  It was 21 degrees, but the winds were less than 10 mph, so not too bad. The course was nice and flat, but pretty open, so I am glad it wasn't windier.  Also, no snow on the ground yet, so the course was dry and not slippery.  I may have over-dressed a little, as by the end of the first mile, I found myself, zipping down my fleece outer shirt and removing my gloves and my hat.  I finished in 32:19, and came in 3 of 8 in my division.  I am really happy with the time, as it is my best of the season.  When I got home, I signed up for a 5K on December 31st (nothing like a good run to boost your motivation).  At the end of the race, not only did they have the usual bagels, bananas and cookies, but they also had HOT chicken noodle soup.  What a great way to warm up after a winter race.

C25K Completed 05/05/10

2011 Races: 5K - 1/16/11 - 33:40; 5K - 1/30/11 - 32:02; 2/12/11 - 5 Mile - 58:07; 2/27/11 - 5K - 32:54; 3/19/11 - 5K - 32:29

2010 Races: 5K - 12/31/10 - 32:53; 5K - 11/28/10 - 32:19; 5K - 8/14/10 - 32:57; 4 Mile - 7/4/10 - 44:58; 5K - 6/23/10 - 33:28; 5K - 6/5/10 - 33:12

• cajungirl Amateur 36 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    96. Nov 29, 2010 9:54 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

Okay I said I would give my report for anyone who wants to read it.  I did my second half marathon this past Saturday.,  It was in Orange Beach Ala.  It was soooooooooooooooooo much better than the first one.  At least for my body.  We did a combo on ChiRunning and Jeff Galloway and I won't be doing anything else in the future.  We ran a 2/1 run/walk and didn't have any of the problems we had at the first one.  We even shaved off 10 minutes from our previous half time.  My sister won in her age division 55-59. Yeah her.  Now we weren't speedy gonzales by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm proud of my 2:45 time. If you would have told me a year ago I'd be running half marathons, I'd thought you were crazy, especially after I broke my foot in January and couldn't get back to running until April.  For those of you out there who think it'll never happen, DON'T give up on yourself.  We all started at the same place.

Beth Jelks

• MangoLuvr Laurie Pro 82 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010
    97. Nov 29, 2010 9:14 PM (in response to ChipperT)

Thanks for making me laugh, ChipperT; I needed that!   Congrats on finishing while feeling only 50% recovered!  And to think you were only about a minute over your normal time!

ETA:  Whoops, I see it was a little more than a minute over, but still!

ETAA:  Now that I've finished reading this whole page, I want to congratulate everyone on their great results lately!  I'm so envious as I've been ill and out of it for 6 weeks.  But I'm also inspired, and know I'll get back there eventually.  Walked an easy two miles today and will try to move it up to 2.5 next week, if the pain allows.

Lost over 100 lbs. in 11 months in 2008-2009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Sur International Marathon Power Walk Division 10.6-Miler 2:40:30  April 2010

Run For Isaiah 4.4k  38:30 Sept. 2010

Eyes on Aids 10k 77:40 Oct. 2, 2010

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upcoming Challenges:

Hospital Hill HM June 4

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    99. Dec 5, 2010 2:17 PM (in response to coolbikermom)
    Re: Great Santa 5k

Yesterday, I did my 2nd 5K within 10 days.  Both were warmer than expected (low 50's) and I did not set any PRs.  Lately, my training has been off, and my cross-training has been limited.  Since the HM, most of my runs have been more like maintanence runs rather than race training.  On vacation this last week at a condo on a golf course, the only "flat" places around were the cart paths on the course, and even they were lumpy and variable, with some short hills.  Enough of an issue that I never pushed myself & still had ankle and knee issues due to the variable terrain. Several times I had to start walking before 3 miles, because my knee would bother me. Averaged 16mm on most runs, so not very good conditions for interval/race training.

Back to the race on Saturday, I knew that I wasn't really in prime condition to push myself for any PR, so I didn't.  I dressed in tech shirt & compression shorts, with gloves and a lite windproof jacket.  Though in the low 50's, it seemed much colder due to the wind. (I ended up shedding both about half way thru.) Surprisingly, I was able to take off quickly at the start and was able to sustain about a 12.5 mm pace, accelerating to near 10mm on downhills and slowing to 13+mm on uphills.  I've raced this course 3 other times (winter & summer) so knowing and using the terrain is an advantage.  This course also has an uphill the last 1/2 mi, but I now can handle that and still have enough left for the final 9mm sprint in the last 100 meters.

I did not use my HRM, but my HR seemed to be high throughout the race, so I wasn't slacking.  Without the extra (proper) conditioning, I just didn't push myself the extra amount to run the 30 sec/mi faster needed to achieve a PR (which was on a flat course).  Hmmm. Just realized that, for this course, it WAS a PR by 90 sec.  Okay, I'm happier now.

In last year's race, I was over 6 min slower on this course, but I got 2nd in my age group.  This year, with my better time, I didn't even place.  Darn!!

Attached is the photo of me with the guys from my tri club, before the race.

Attachments:

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• torunagn Legend 325 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    100. Dec 5, 2010 5:22 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jo Ann and Coolbikermom - Congratulations on your races and thanks for your race reports.  Gotta love those races the end on an uphill.

C25K Completed 05/05/10

2011 Races: 5K - 1/16/11 - 33:40; 5K - 1/30/11 - 32:02; 2/12/11 - 5 Mile - 58:07; 2/27/11 - 5K - 32:54; 3/19/11 - 5K - 32:29

2010 Races: 5K - 12/31/10 - 32:53; 5K - 11/28/10 - 32:19; 5K - 8/14/10 - 32:57; 4 Mile - 7/4/10 - 44:58; 5K - 6/23/10 - 33:28; 5K - 6/5/10 - 33:12

• delete789528 Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    101. Dec 5, 2010 7:08 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

Cool Biker Mom---What a great report on your race.  I felt like I was right there with you.  And, I'm encouraged about your running in the cold weather.  I've found that the past few times that I've been out running that after about 3/4 to a mile, I'm getting warm and shedding the layers.  I haven't run in 20 degree weather yet, but I'm sure it's coming before the winter is out.  Your time is great!!!!  I would love to get to that at some point.  I've only got two 5K's under my belt so far and with my recent tendonitis (now healing), I feel like I'm starting all over in a way because I've had to pull back from my routine.  Again, thanks for your report...............very encouraging.

Oct. 16, 2010         Lexington Hawg Run 5K, Lexington, NC        37:07

Nov. 6, 2010           Hope Lung Cancer 5K , Clemmons, NC        36:59

Dec. 11, 2010         Rosy Cheeks 5K, Mt. Airy, NC                    35:25

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    102. Dec 6, 2010 5:01 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

CoolB & JoAnn, way cool on your races. CoolB, pass our congrats on to your daughter too! JoAnn, tks for sharing the photo. You look great

Question for all the racers: How does your race pace differ from your regular training pace? Are you more concerned about just running and having a good time, or are you pushing yourself and your heart rate out of your "comfort zone"?

Brrrr...it's cold here but I'm gonna have GET to brave it today.

Happy running everyone.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    103. Dec 6, 2010 5:25 AM (in response to PaintingLady)

So far, for me when I'm in a race, I seem to be able to get an extra half min/mile boost to my pace, at least while I'm running near others, as they pull me along, because the sense of relative speed is different.  I often start near 10+mm, then settle back down to 11-12mm pace while I'm with others.  Once the pack has thinned out and I'm running on my own, I seem to settle into a "fast" training pace.  My HR always stays high with the higher effort.

Of course, proper pre-race training AND tapering has a lot to do with it, because your muscles are fresh, rested and READY, so your body CAN respond.  If you go into the race with fatigue or lingering illness, you probably won't get the boost, since you will quickly feel the difference. But you are still out there and do the best that you can.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    104. Dec 6, 2010 8:31 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

Awesome results!!  Don't you just love it when you finish ahead and have to go back to 'push' someone else who is younger than you?!? LOL!!

CONGRATS on your race .......... and in the cold ......... so invigorating though, right?

Trail runner

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...