Skip navigation

543 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 12:39 PM by NathanQ RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Bengalvfan Amateur 24 posts since
May 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 2, 2010 11:04 PM

3rd base coach yelling "i got it" on fly ball

Here at kutno for the euro little league championship and have seen the 3rd base coach for Italy yelling I got it directly at the fielder trying to make the catch. I have seen/heard this happen three times now.

What would you guys do if you see this?

Dan

• DawgDays Pro 156 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Aug 3, 2010 12:25 AM (in response to Bengalvfan)
    Re: 3rd base coach yelling "i got it" on fly ball

At this level of play, he should know to not pull this kind of crap.

I would warn him the first time, not just to stop doing this particular thing, but a general 4.06(2) warning.  If he pulls it or some similar crap, he gets dumped.

Then I would wish that I could award the defense an out, but I don't think I have a rule to justify a "verbal interference" call.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Aug 3, 2010 2:02 AM (in response to DawgDays)

Yo! Dan. Greetings from Chopin airport in Warsaw. I had to leave a day early so I will miss the championship.

If a coach were to do that I could rule interference by the offensive team and judge the batter out. And I also could run the coach.

However we umpires never saw what you described in officiating any of Italy's games. The is an excellent chance he is saying something in Italian that sounds like what you described.

During the tournament there were a lot of cases where some coaches instructions to their players sounded downright obscene to an English speaker. Not to worry.

The umpires' opinion of the Italian manager is of high regard. This is real change of pace from the arrogance we have seen in prior years.

JMO

Mike CVUA

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Aug 3, 2010 4:03 AM (in response to Retired_Now)

Don't bother with 4.06 (2).

9.01 (d) covers this exactly.

oops

• rhughes18 Pro 114 posts since
    Feb 18, 2001
    4. Aug 3, 2010 5:29 AM (in response to MikeRicketts)
    Go to the replay

Eject the coach.

Coach challenges what umpire heard.

Replay team reviews and determines the caoch was speaking italian saying "Go back Go back" to his runner.

Ejection is over turned.

Oh! wait a minute, this game is not being televised, Ejection stands.

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Aug 3, 2010 6:41 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

Bengal, was he yelling it in Italian or English?  If in English I would award and out if he causes the DT to get confused.  I would also show him the door, and hopefully I could learn how to say it in Italian.  TM

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    6. Aug 3, 2010 6:46 AM (in response to DawgDays)
    Re: Go to the replay

Alex Rodriquezas a base-runner to 3rd base- did (said) something similar in a game versus Toronto this year; causing the Toronto 3rd baseman to think the SS was calling to make a play on a pop-fly.

End result, the pop-fly fell to the ground.

No penalty...but thought of being a "bush-league" tactic- committed by A-Rod.

Frank!

• DawgDays Pro 156 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Aug 3, 2010 7:52 AM (in response to rhughes18)

Thanks, Hugo.  I forget about 9.01d.  Fortunately, I've never had to use it.

• NathanQ Legend 378 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    8. Aug 3, 2010 8:14 AM (in response to TheMouth__1)

We had a coach in a 10-11 Sectional game do something similar this year. Runner on 2nd, 2 outs, ground ball to f5, the coach yells "look him back".  Umps seemed intimidated by the other team, and said they did not hear that and some similar stuff, including barking at our pitcher during his windup. We won, but our guys seemed to get spooked by these tactics.  It took a call to our DA to get some action. In the championship game, an umpire with some cajones shut the opposing coaches down, and our boys mercied their kids on the field.

• crstagg Rookie 2 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    9. Aug 3, 2010 9:36 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Aspettare or wait

Could sound like "I got it"

May 25, 2007
    10. Aug 3, 2010 10:07 AM (in response to Frank_B)

If in English I would award and out if he causes the DT to get confused

Under what rules , LL??

Which rule?

oops

May 25, 2007
    11. Aug 3, 2010 10:39 AM (in response to crstagg)

We won, but our guys seemed to get spooked by these tactics.

JMO, but by this age, your guys should be figuring out how to deal with stuff like that.
    Yeah, you can get all upset about it and let the kids follow suit......or you can just ignore it or you can use it to motivate your kids.

and our boys mercied their kids on the field.

If you are saying that your guys played better because of this, your guys have some growing up to do (and they will!)

oops

• MikeRicketts Amateur 11 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    12. Aug 3, 2010 10:52 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Then I would wish that I could award the defense an out, but I don't think I have a rule to justify a "verbal interference" call.

The definition of "interference" is very broad, and clearly broad enough to include verbal interference:

Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinder or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play.

"Confuses" is right on point.   

For LL, the Instructor Comments to Rule 7.08b expressly covers verbal interference:

On a batted ball, however, any interference, whether intentional or otherwise, must be enforced. This could be visual or verbal as well.

So don't worry about dumping the coach.  Call the out and see if he tries it again. 

Other posts have mentioned how A-Rod shouting at a fielder was ruled "nothing" in a MLB game.  There are times when OBR rulings and practices are a guide to how OBR-based youth league rules should be applied.  And there are times when we see that things are just done differently at the professional level.  This is one of the latter.

Anyone concerned about verbal interference should bear in mind that it is different from verbal obstruction, which really doesn't exist outside of Fed rules.

• MikeRicketts Amateur 11 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    13. Aug 3, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Under what rules , LL??
    Which rule?

See the Rule 2.00 definition of "Interference," Rule 7.08b, and in particular the LL RIM comments to the latter.

• Pete_Booth Pro 163 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    14. Aug 3, 2010 11:53 AM (in response to NathanQ)

have seen the 3rd base coach for Italy yelling I got it directly at the fielder trying to make the catch.

Are you CERTAIN he was speaking English? or was he speaking in Italian?

Perhaps he was yelling (in Italian) at his players to get back.

Therefore, before we envoke ANY rule we need to be CERTAIN exactly what the coach said.

Pete Booth

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...